Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some suggestions
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A question for our fly tying pros. I would like to tie some Royal Wulff flies, [my favorite go to] however the recipes that I have seen call for moose body hair for the tail. Apparently it's properties causes it to shed water. I just don't have any right now so is there an equivalent replacement?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I use Golden Pheasant Tippets (same as on the Trudes). I like it a lot cause I can tie those 20's and 22's easier and less bulk from the hair.
[signature]
Those poor things are killed on the Roads regularly in AK. Too bad some samaritin cant cut a square foot of flank off for you.

Someday when you are absolutly stymied for a 'next project' you might give ADF&G a call on the subject.
Maybe they can put you onto the folks who pick up the Moose Road kills.
The AK Railroad has to deal with Moose and Caribou kills as well.

The Moose hair is hollow and it floats for a long time before it finally gets soaked and will sink.

I'm just guessing, but Mule deer hair is also hollow. Wont it work?

Mr. Wulff was an up easterner and had access to Moose kills. He had class though. I dont ever remember reading where he said he came up with all that material.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thanks Thudpucker - you bring up a good point - what ever happens with the hide on road kill? Speaking about kill, I let my 14½ year old Siberian Husky out this morning [I have a fenced yard] and when I called her in for breakfast she wanted to bring her own in with her. She was holding this big Jack Rabbit that she chased down in the yard. How she ever could catch a rabbit & a mouse last week is beyond me. Should have saved the rabbits hide for making some flies. Back to you TP - just didn't feel like driving 20 miles just to pick up some moose hair. My inventory is limited at this point. Didn't feel a need to get one of everything that Bob Marriott's stocks.Just might have to.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That is rare for a Siberian to do any hunting. The genetic training is to stay on the job and dont chase wildlife.

On the other hand they are all decended from the Canus Lupes, and hunting is in thier blood.

There's a lot to the Moose and Caribou Hide story. Too much for here.

At the AK RR yard in Wasilla (I think) there were a dozen or more Moose that had been killed by the train.
They give them away to the Needy.
But some folks are there to ask for the Hides. You have to thaw them out before you can skin them though.[unsure]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A watch dog she isn't. She loves everybody but obiviously not everything that moves. She is a rare character. She never ever barks but she does talk to me. Like Tim Allen in the Home Improvement TV sitcom [errrr]. She has different sounds when she wants to eat, go out, play etc. I guess when you have a pet that long we sure do get to understand each other.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Tongue]Hey there flygoddess - how in the world do you ever see a 22 hook no less tie some goodies on it? I mean two wraps of thread and there isn't any room left on the shank. I know - young eyes and small fingers. [Wink]A 14 is about as small as I care to work with. What is the smallest fly that you have ever tied? I'll flip if you say a 32![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]You guessed it:[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: TenCent32.jpg]
[signature]
Damb!!!!! I have ventured into a 24 but that was pushing it. I regularly tie size 22 Griffith's gnat's but that is about as far as i go.
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]******* My inventory is limited at this point. Didn't feel a need to get one of everything that Bob Marriott's stocks.Just might have to.[/size][/green][/font] [/reply]
[signature]
[laugh]I imagine a 14 is gonna be about it for me too.
I have Dollar store granny glasses with a large magnification for tying flies on while in the boat. Yes, I'm thankful for Sunlight.

Soon I'm gonna need a Monacle. And a Headlamp for night tying.
I'll look like a guy with his Sleep Apnia Apparatus mounted and ready for bed.

I got the first #20 on by myself, but needed help for the rest of them.
I was surprised at how that little hook, and little tippet held a Trout in running water.

I kinda wonder about those little Gnats catching Crappie and Brim?
[signature]
[Wink][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Tough getting older isn't it. But it is better than the alternative. [/green][/size][/font][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]I use a head magnifier like the jewelers wear. I can flip them down white wearing my reading glasses. I use only one or the other. A high intensity lamp gives me plenty of light. [/green][/size][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3] [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[cool]The goddess could have re-oriented that Gnat a little bit and it would have been an Earring for Roosevelt.

DryRod I've seen those magnifiers. I'm sure I'll have need of one of them before long.
[signature]
Warning --- Warning --- Warning, Will Robinson.

Tying flys may be hazardous to you close vision eye sight.

I started needing reading glasses for very small print when I was 45. At 51 or 52 I started tying flys. Now a few years later I can't read a darn thing without reading glasses. I think that tying flys has helped degerate my eyes along with the age.

I use the jewelers head visor thingees with 4 dioper lens. But I mostly use ring light. I have noticed lately that a lot of times I find myself tying with the ring light and the reading glasses.

But that does not bother me much. But needing to get glasses out to release fish, untangle "wind knots", get flys out of bushes /trees, and tie on flys just drives me up the wall. I need to hire a guide whenever I go fishing so I can point my rod at her and indignantly say "fix it" Hey, Fly Goddess want to be my guide? [cool]

dB
[signature]
[reply]
needing to get glasses out to release fish, untangle "wind knots", get flys out of bushes /trees, and tie on flys just drives me up the wall.
dB [/reply]
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]When I was a child I remember my Mother asking me to thread a needle for her. I recall saying that the eye looked so large to me that I could probably walk through it. Okay wise guy she replied some day you will know what I mean. I been knowing what she meant since I turned 40.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Reading glasses, plus the magnifier that is attached to my lamp. That is the only way I am going to do one of those 30's +[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [inline table_top_craft_lamp.jpeg]
[signature]
By the way, I love the new AVATAR Dryrod!
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][black][size 5][Wink][green]Meow ![/green][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]By the way one can now get these headband mags with a directional spot light.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19055;]
[signature]
[cool]Yeah the avitar is great. I was wondering how you got the animal to sit for the portrait.
When I grow up, I wanna be cool with the illustrations like you guys do.

I went out to the College to see if they had a course in that kinda stuff.
That kid looked at me, no she stared at me, like I was Old or something!
[signature]