Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice for wipers
i went to willard for the first time last week. we fished for several hours and only caught one wiper (nothing else).we started with jigs and spinners, but after a while just threw out worms on a drop shot. they were taking the worms, but we couldnt set a hook.any suggestions on tecnique? we are heading up again sunday, so any advice is welcome and very appreciated.thanks!
[signature]
Refer to the posts for the last week or 2 for Willard.Lots of good info there. The boils have pretty much stopped so it is a little harder to locate them. Good Luck!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard FO. We have much fun here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is no secret that wipers eat worms. A lot of anglers soaking worms for cats have been beat up by hungry wipers. Next to minnows, worms are probably one of the best baits for wipers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, if you were getting a lot of bites without being able to set the hook, I suspect that the culprits were either catfish, perch or maybe even bluegill. Could be some small smallmouth too. They all eat worms and especially the bluegills are notorious bait stealers. Usually, when a wiper hits, there is no doubt and no difficulty setting the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is not surprising that you did not get a lot of action on the lures. The water is cooling down way past their preferred hunting range. When I fished Willard this week, the morning water temps were well under 60 degrees. Wipers become most active when the water gets over 70. Also, the shad have gone deeper now and most of the wipers have followed them. Just not as many chasing bait around the shoreline.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The dropshot rig is good for active fish. They will usually gulp the bait and hook themselves as they rocket off. But, when the fish are slow and finicky, you will sometimes do better with a "weightless" presentation. I usually fish bait on the bottom, with no weight at all and an open bail on my reel. When a fish picks up the bait, I let it swim off a ways, to get the bait down or at least well in its mouth. Even then I miss hooksets, but not as many as if I try to set the hook at the first tap.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It sounds like you were shore fishing. Where were you fishing (what part of the lake)? Some spots are more hospitable to shore anglers than others.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks for the reply. excellent pointers. we were shore fishing, right around pelican beach area.
we will definately try some lighter baits this weekend. thanks a bunch!
[signature]
thanks for the reply. ill let you all know how we do. thanks a bunch!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Two other good spots:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. The SE corner of the north marina. There is a nice sandy beach with a little trickle creek running in there. The depth drops off quickly, straight out, to about 10-11 feet and both wipers and cats usually hang out there within a short cast from shore. That is where I have caught a lot of them during the past few months, both casting lures and dragging minnows. They also show up a lot in close to the whole eastern shoreline and in the NE corner of the marina...between the ranger boats and the east shore. That can be a good spot for crappies as it gets colder too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Off the north dike near the outlet structure. The farther out you go, the deeper it is in close to the dike. There is a good hole about a hundred yards west of the outlet that often holds fish. During the warmer months, there is good action all along the dike as wipers cruise by and chase shad. You can catch them right next to the rocks. It is also good for walleyes in April when they are in their "spring fling" mode.[/#0000ff]
[signature]