Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport - Oct 15
On limited time (4 hrs), went on a mission to locate Rockport perch. Mission failed. 7:15am launch showed 29 degrees. The lake is down, I suppose to get ready for winter pool level, and many of the spots where I've had past success were high and dry. Tried some deeper (ice fishing locations) but zilch.

Saw a few fishers pull in small trout on pop gear (which I don't fish), the Rock did not give up any of it's perch this day.

Must have to wait for ice on - till then probably try other lakes.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report, too bad the catching wasn't better. We haven't got any reports from Rockport in a long time but the last time I was there, a year ago next month, the perch were hanging on the bottom in the deeper water. WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The perch were heavily harvested through the ice two winters ago and then there was a massive perch dieoff at iceoff. This past winter was not a good one for perch, with only a few anglers getting any perch at all. There were a lot of nice trout coming through the ice though.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The perch are not gone, but they were greatly reduced in numbers. It will probably be a few years before we see them in quanitty again. There are those who argue that they are still there, but you just have to find them. That is true. However in times past there were vast schools that covered the bottom of the whole lake. Now you can find only a few small isolated schools and they are more difficult to get to bite when there is more food for the survivors.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD:

Right you are, as usual. Last winter was the slowest in memory, but I still managed to find them a few times but at different times and locations.

One of the beter days was an early-ice Saturday, directly off the boat launch out about 200 yards with large perch. I got a strike on the first drop and then like clock work, but I had caught most before another fisherman was out. As first light hit, things slowed, then as the sun hit it all stopped. I was leaving with my limit just as most were arriving.

I know you like to hit the water early, and I've found that at the Rock, it also works, at times, through the ice.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Surprising about the "early risers". Perch are usually more active as the light intensity increases. But, fishing is never the same all the time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last year the perch seemed to be more common along the channel on the west side, off the steep banks. There were some days when lots of folks showed up and only a few iced any perch. In times past you could drill almost anywhere and at least catch something. You usually had to look for the bigger fish, but last year even the smaller ones were scarce.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's hope Jordanelle freezes early and puts out good perch again this year. I had some good days on it last winter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think I might get more serious about Starvation this coming winter too. I was pleasantly surprised at the number and size of the perch we caught in late summer over there. If the lake freezes and we can find the perch and walleyes that will be great.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]You are so right about Rockperch. It's gonna be a few years til it's back to the way it was, but I may still hit it a time or two (but not more) this coming ice season.

It seems like Echo had a massive die-off too, but happened a year or two before last year's die-off at Rockport. I think this year, when I'm out for perch I'll be at Jordanelle, Starvation, or (perhaps) Pineview. It's been down for about 5 years, but seemed to be making a small comeback last season, but I didn't get to fish it. I think I'll try that place this year...
[signature]