Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another new word for me
[center][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green][Tongue]What is a Biot? [/green][/size][/font][/center]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A biot is simply a single fiber from the leading, or front edge of a primary (first row) wing feather. On the feather, the biots lay against each other, leaning toward the tip of the wing. This allows air to pass over them and flow against the fibers on the rear side of the feather, which are longer, narrower, and more delicate, providing lift for flight. This is similar to an airplane's wing... wide, blunt in front, tapering toward the rear. It is easy to tell the biots apart from the rear fibers, as they are shorter, stiffer, and lay closer to the quill stem.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Biot - when I read your post that is the word that came into my mind.

Now here is a word that it took me 5 years to read about..... on a forum. Don't know why it took that long to run across the word. But it is a good word to become familiar with and the flys that use them.

Coverts

now look that one up.

I ran across a nice short PDF file on the internet you might find useful.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Covert - Well I knew that it had something to do with secret or a hiding place but never gave it a thought about being a feather covering. A good one Scuffy_Fly.[/size][/green][/font] [font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 4]
co•vert [/size][/#ff0000][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 4] 1 : a secret or sheltered place; esp : a thicket sheltering game 2 : a feather covering the bases of the quills of the wings and tail of a bird.
[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 1]
[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#bf00bf][size 3]Another thing about BIOT. I wet mine when using them, makes them less brittle. Also, tie one in with curve up, you get a nice ribbing, tie it with curve down you get a nice smooth body. Different flies require different applications of this material[/size][/#bf00bf][/font].
[signature]