Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10/22/2006
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Evil Ash, Gordon and I went up to Strawberry this morning. Got in the water by about 8:30a.m. There was still a little fog on the water at Ladders and the water was glass smooth.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Chilly, but again no wind so quite pleasant.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ran into ScottyP, Kevin and Majja (what a great bunch of guys). And Tube Dude, you would be very proud of Majja's pimping out of his ODC. It looked great![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I had to show off the net that Gregory Walker made for me so here is a few of the fish I landed:[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][Image: Strawberry10-22-06006.jpg][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][Image: Strawberry10-22-06003.jpg][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][Image: Strawberry10-22-06002.jpg][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][Image: Strawberry10-22-06001.jpg][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The wind picked up around 12:30, so we headed home.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The fish of the day however goes to EVIL ASH. 27" FAT cutt. The bad thing was the batteries in his camera went dead, but he had plenty of wittnesses[cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
great report and pictures. glad to see the cutts are still willing to play hard. can't decide if i need to fish or bow hunt. it will take me a couple of days to decide that one.
thanks for sharing.
[signature]
It was a great day to be out. My first time with a motorized toon up there-- makes it really nice when the w*** starts picking up or if you just want to troll over to a different spot. I think I ended with 6 fish, all cutts. One of them thought he was a rainbow the way he kept running and diving.

Nice to meet you and Evil Ash finally.
[signature]
Hey Flygoddess,

So what were they hitting and what type of line were you using.

thanks,

J
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Seeings how I probably won't be making it back up there this year, I am going to tell you in great detail, so you can go get them[laugh][/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I started off with 200 grain Depth Charge line in 30' to 40' of water with fairly fast strip. The chub pattern from Jason Haslem (basically a Zonker / tan zonker strip on the back, red and black sparkle chenille body and a tan marabou collar - unweighted size 4 streamer) and a Black/Purple Gartside softhackle gold cone head with a white mallard collar on a #8 streamer. And I do the "Y" connection with the larger about 2' longer than the shorter. Caught 5 on this set-up, missed about 4. Around 11:00 I switched to a TYPE II and fish 10' to 20' same set-up and caught 4 more missed 3. Two rainbow at least 18"[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]They were all good size, with that net, however everything looks small[Wink] Here is the same size net I use at the lodge.[inline "utah joni.jpg"][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Nice pics, sure would of like to see that 27 incher. How deep where the bows when they hit your fly?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]13' to 18' deep. I wish I had been closer to get that picture also. I didn't know his camera was dead or I would have made a better attempt to get a shot. He held it up and it was not only long but very healthy. Good to see that! Maybe I won't have to keep going to Idaho for them trophies[laugh][laugh][laugh][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Where were you fishing? We fished mudd creek, strawberry bay and and jakes bay and did not have any W until about 4:30 We also caught a few, all in the slot and no rainbows
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ladders. ScottyP, Majja and Kevin will attest to the wind. Not as bad as I have encountered at the Berry, but, after 4 hours of steady fishing we came in for lunch and being the ol' farts we are, desided we didn't want to deal with it, so we came home.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Nice work FG. I may try to make it up there one last time. I'd do it this weekend, but Matties is calling. Those marabou soft hackles are killers on the berry!
[signature]
Would have been great having you guys up there. Specially since Evil Ash was SO ON! 27"! YEAH BABY!
[signature]
FlyGoddess,

Great meeting you guys up at the Berry! Thanks for those furled leaders. I'll let ya know what I think after I use them. Hopefully I can get a couple more fish before the lake ices over!

Kevin
[signature]
Sorry for the late post as I am actually out on a business trip. it was Awsome meeting the FlyGoddess and Crew, very cool people. Once again thanks for the leader. Yea to back up the Goddess it was getting windy on Sunday as i dont think i kicked in at all. As for the fishing Kevin and I were up at the Berry on both Saturday and Sunday. kevin got one 17 in Rainbow on saturday in Jakes, and I got a 21" at the ladders. I think Kevin took his on a jig bigger than my butt and that is hudge. I got mine on a Orange bodied white fluffy wooliebuger type fly. (as you can tell i do not know a lot of the names of flys) But all in all it was a good weekend. Met some really great people and had a good time. when i get home i will post some pics of my creative PVCing.

Majja
[signature]