Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chilly Willard 10-23-06
[cool][#0000ff]It was cold on Willard today...temperature and fishing. TubeBabe and I launched about daybreak (7-ish) but neither of us got a bite for over an hour. Very little on sonar either. The water temp dropped from upper 50's last week to 52 at launch today. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe scored a cold kitty about 8:15, on a minnow. She got another one an hour later. That was it for her.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished all kinds of jigs all over the marina without a tiny tick. The water was calm so I kicked outside and tried fishing some spots that often hold fish this time of year. Nada, zip, zilch. Saw some big carp rolling but that was about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I came back inside and started dragging a minnow on one rod while continuing to work through different plastics on the other. Finally, about 9:30, the tip of my bait rod nodded a couple of times. I allowed the fish to get the minnow good and then set the hook...into a 9" yellow perch. S'prise, s'prise. A few minutes later, I got another one about the same size. Remembered that perch showed up inside the marina during the late fall last year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I finally got a good whack on my small white tube jig. Had hopes for a wiper but settled for a testy 17" kitty. Had a couple more "pop and drop" on bait and a few ticks on plastics but neither of us hooked another fish for the rest of the trip. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I even tried some "dip-sticking" around the almost empty docks, but didn't have much hope. The "Colonel" fished the docks much of the morning from his red Tracker without catching anything I could see. I did not get a touch on any of the several sizes and colors I tried. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Off the water about 1.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fish cleaning station is closed for the winter. Oh well. Also, I am attaching a pic of the new "Lake Cam" tower. It is in between the ramp and the fish cleaning station. The cams can focus on most of the marina (including the ramp) and will turn around to look as far as the north dike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.utahlakeview.com/lake_willard.html"]LINK TO LAKE CAM[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of the OF (old f***) regulars stopped by to chat as we were loading up. They said crappies sometimes bite after 3 around the docks. Also said that they were getting wipers last week but couldn't get a bite the last couple of days with the colder water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, TD. Sounds like a "cool" day...literally. Hope those fishies turn back on as the weather settles down...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not likely to be any "serious" fishing for wipers or kitties until April or May. You can still catch a few but tough duty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably be some crappies through iceup and maybe even some ice fishing this year. Who knows?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Too bad the fishin' has slowed down so much for ya. At least you got out to wet the line a little. Nice to see a few perch around as well.
[signature]
fishhound and I looked for ya when we trolled by the norh marina yesterday, but you must have been hiding in the back somewhere. When we trolled around the north marina that screen was very blank at least on the outside of the marina. We started out slow, but ended up haveing a great day in the evening. Must be the cold morning weather. At least the weather was beautifull even if the fishing was slow. Hope those crappie start coming in soon,
jed
[signature]
Too bad the fish weren't more cooperative. Did you mark any fish under/around the docks?

If the warmer water fish are not going to cooperate anymore, we need to hit one of these trout lakes before it get way too cold... Lost Creek? [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I got close enough to shoot a sonar beam under some of the docks. Nada. But...there were some groups of fish schooled up in several spots around the lake. Remember the sonar at Starvation? That's what the screen looked like in the NE corner, by the ranger boat. The crappies almost always gather there, but they are tough. You need to fish them deep, under a sliding bobber, with ice flies and wax worms. Just like ice fishing without the hard water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Forget "trout lakes" I will fish where trout are present, but only with the option of fishing for something else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just got back from a good day on Jordanelle (report tomorrow)...perch, smallies and trout, oh my.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Planning a shot on Yuba on Friday. Open for discussion next week.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am sure there are a chub or two you could tangle with at Lost Creek.. LOL [Wink]
[signature]