Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying My Pontoon
I have been using a pontoon for about a year now, and love it. I have made some minor modifications to it, like mounting a depth finder, but I want to make a couple more and need some suggestions.

I want to mount a swivel seat on a 6-12" pedalstal, but I am not sure if it will throw off the center of gravity so much to make it unstable. I am kinda big boy[Wink], weighing about 250, so I am concerned about making the toon so unstable I can't use it.

I also have a question about mounting a trolling motor. Which is better, to mount it in front or on the back?
[signature]
Hey there Huskerto,

Well I am 305 and have put a swivel seat on my toon and slide it all the way to the front (mine is adjustable) to compensate for my deep cell battery. I have had my motor on the front but will be trying the back mount maybe this weekend. I also have a 55# thrust motor which is much heavier than the commonly used 30# thrust motor. On the front I did not notice any problems and I believe I will, be OK with the rear mount aswell.

The swivel seat is great unless I am only using my fins then I notice that the seat turns and I am not always use the flippers straight away, if you follow me here.

hope this helps and I am open to any more questions.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]The Pontoon that Orvis sold, had the swivel seat, but it had the pin you slid in to keep it from moving. Just be sure you can still kick comfortably and that you are not out of the water tool much. I have done several mods to my toon:[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][Image: 16450127.jpg][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][Image: 16450128.jpg][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][Image: 27794366.jpg][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]The red one is the ol mans. I have a soft seat I can put on that folds flat so I can stand on my boat, but right now I have the Hard Plastic padded seat. I also Modified my 30 Minn Kota.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]You can check out our P-Base at [/black][/font][url "http://www.pbase.com/albot/cardiac_pics"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]http://www.pbase.com/albot/cardiac_pics[/black][/font][/url]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]My boat is 11 1/2' long however and the frame is flat and mounts on top of the toons which makes all these mods. real easy.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]There is so much you can do, but try to center it out[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]One more note, I do prefer the motor on the back, but you will have to loosen the head of the motor and turn it so the head is facing the same as the prop. Let it pull you through the water is easier on the battery then pushing. Steer with you feet, I have even done this without flippers, but I don't recommend it[Wink][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard Hope we can help. I think the previous two answers overlooked your REAL question...mounting a PEDESTAL seat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The balance and center of gravity issue IS the main concern. It is a combination of several factors...overall length and width of the craft, pontoon (air chamber) design, total "floatation", weight of the angler, etc.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There are some pontoons that incorporate a "standing platform", and they seem to ride stable enough, even in rough water. If your craft is wide enough to be stable, even with your weight elevated a few inches, you got it knocked.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Most of us have lusted after having a little extra "altitude" for seeing into the water better and for more efficient casting. The pedestal seat idea sounds good. The main recommendation I would make is to work out a "quick change" or collapsible mount that allows you to lower or remove the pedestal part for navigating in rough water, etc. Let us know how you make out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Location of the trolling motor is both a matter of personal preference and of frame design. If your toon comes with a built in motor mount, try to take advantage of that. It will doubtless provide the most propulsion efficiency and balance. However, your frame may be long enough and sturdy enough to allow a workable front mount.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are a basser, the front mount with easy to reach controls has a lot of appeal. The main downside is that it just about eliminates the use of fins unless you rig for being able to tilt the motor up and out of the way. If you are a fly flinger the front mount motor can really cramp your style and is a "line magnet".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you include some pics of your craft, showing the relative size and the style of the frame, it would be easier to make meaningful suggestions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For small water bassin' my suggestion is to forget the electric and learn to use the oars. The extra weight and hassle of messin' with the motor, for relatively little use, is not worth the expense and bother. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It also looks like you have about as much altitude (seating) as you really need...except for flipping. There are always some tradeoffs. We can't have it all. Again, for the expense and fuss of making that modification it just might not be worth it for the small amount of additional height you could gain. You definitely sit higher than tubers and we catch lots of bass from the lower platforms of our tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wind is the big problem with floatation fishing, especially with a high profile craft like your 'toon. No way around it, you will either have to use the oars (and/or an anchor) or get used to the idea that you will have to develop tree-trunk legs for kicking more. Otherwise, watch the weather and try to plan trips when you have little or no wind.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Huskertko, explain your user name...

are you a Huskers fan?
[signature]
I am also a Huskers Fan, I was born in Omaha and have followed the huskers ever since living in utah its fun to raze the byu fok cause they dont have as many championships.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Would being a Huskers fan have anything to do with forgetting to log on before posting..."Guest"?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For future reference, any time you do a computer cleanup and "dump your cookies" you have to log on again or you will not be recognized when you post.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]Would being a Huskers fan have anything to do with forgetting to log on before posting..."Guest"?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For future reference, any time you do a computer cleanup and "dump your cookies" you have to log on again or you will not be recognized when you post.[/#0000ff] [/reply]
Nope, just using a different computer than usual, and forgot to log in.[blush]
[signature]
[reply]
Nope, just using a different computer than usual, and forgot to log in.[blush]
[/reply]

[cool]I feel your pain.

z~
[signature]