Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubin' Yuba 10-27-06
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I launched from the main ramp area about 7 AM...still dark and air temp down to 22 degrees. Water temp was 52 and that made for some great steam pics as the sun came up. Definitely multi-layers, neoprenes and glove conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last year at this time the big rainbows were busy around the banks at daybreak, chowing down on the swarms of minnows. A lot fewer minnows this year and no rainbows early. Only a few tiddlers popping the surface out away from shore. They would not touch the spinners that usually work for the larger fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On our last trip, in September, the bottom was covered with fish. Yesterday the bottom looked like a desert on sonar. I kept smacking my display to get it to work. Thought it must be the cold.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe stayed out in open water, throwing spinners while I moved down the shoreline casting an assortment of stickbaits, crankbaits and plastics, trying to find a pike or wallie. Not a touch, even from a pesky perch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Saw 2fishon coming out from under the bridge as I got closer. He headed over toward the south bank in the mist/fog and I stayed to work the rocks under the bridge with my heavy artillery. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was pleased to note that the water has come up about 4 feet since our September trip. Evidently the water users are through and the lake is rising. Hopefully it will be tip top full by the spring spawn again this year. The perch have really been taking advantage of that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I worked my way back to the dock area, throwing spinners and jigging small plastics to see if I could at least score a perch, to get the skunk out of my tube. Only after I passed the docks and fired a spinner close to the bank did I get bit. First fish was a perch, on a trout spinner...right next to the bank. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I switched to some of my little roadrunner jigs and began bringing in perch on every cast. I hollered up TubeBabe on the walkie talkie and got her down in that area too. For the next few hours we caught a bajillion perch and had several trout takes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We don't keep track of numbers on perch, but we easily caught well over 100 each. Most were about 8-9", but we both caught quite a few over 10. There were several in the 11-12" range and a couple over 12. Most were fat and healthy. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I landed the only trout of the day...a slim 16" male. Long line released a couple more. The biggest I had hooked smacked my jig just as it hit the water, in only a few inches of water where the dock met the bank. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I had seen a swirl under the walk ramp a couple of times and placed my cast just right. WHAM. The fish powered out along the dock, taking line off the drag and then jumped higher than my head, right next to me. Yeee Hawwww. Only problem was that when it went back into the water it was facing the docks and screamed under them, wrapping my line around a cable. Game over. It would have been well over 20" but it looked to be kinda thin. Not nearly as porky as the fish the same size that we caught in there last year. (see pic)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we were loading up the vehicle, I saw some fathead minnows swarming near the docks. Out came the casting net (with the 1/4" mesh) and several throws later we had about a quart of teensy ice fishing baits. I want all of those concerned to know that I personally conked each tiny tyke minnow on their little noggins before taking them home. No fathead minnow fuss for me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The lake stayed pretty nice and calm all day, and the air temp and water temp were about the same...55...when we left in mid afternoon. It was interesting watching the snow line go up on Mt. Nebo, to the north as the day warmed up. Nice scenery for a desert lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Enjoyed your report Pat and beautiful pictures. Curious what does one use to conk a 3" fathead minnow?[unsure]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the kindly words.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Answer to trivia question: A 1" baseball bat[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report Pat, and Nice work! Any plans for the week?
[signature]
Another great report. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear the water is already coming up, I wouldn't be surprised to see it full again this year. Like you say, high water is good for the fishies!

BTW, I can still see the tWinkle in one of those minnows eyes...don't think he's quite dead yet...where is that poaching hotline![Tongue]
[signature]
hey dude great report! i was planing on takeing my boat over tomorrow and giveing yuba a try for them big Bow's.. but seeing that they are not there like last year then i might have to change plans..

BTW what ever happend to the 80,000.00 + tiger trout the DWR planted in Yuba? i have not heard anything on them nor have i heard of anyone catching one out of there ether..
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe is out of town next week and it looks like the sun will be shining. Look for me on the water...somewhere.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whatcha got in mind? I am going to hit Rock Cliff at least one day, to test some new "Perch Plungers" (heavy head small jigs).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, a couple of those little guys were fakin' being dead. If I saw so much as a fin quiver, after taking that picture, they became instant sushi. Dip 'em in wasabe flavored smelly jelly and down the hatch. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Dead minnows tell no tales.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I haven't heard ANY good reports on big bows this year. There have been isolated catches of a few small fish, and an occasional 20 incher, but not the multitude of big nasties we caught last year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, many of the fish that are showing up are thinner and some have anchor worms on their sides. There were a few on the one I caught yesterday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How long are you back in town? Wanna do a coldwater trip to Huntington?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have not seen or heard of any tigers being caught in Yuba either. However, I strongly suspect that some of the small fish I have seen popping the top might be tigerettes. If they were planted as tiny fry, most of them probably didn't survive the perch onslaught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm attaching a couple of pics of a perch I caught last month at Yuba that had a small trout sticking out of its mouth. Turns out that it was a rainbow, from a batch of surplus fry they had just planted.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i'm not sure how long i'll be in town just yet.. i'm not calling to find out ether.[sly]. huntington sounds fun! as cold as it's been hear in the valley the last 2 mornings i dont know if huntington will be open tho.. i have not been able to get ahold of my budy that run's the snow plow up there to find out what it looks like.. it would be a long trip for you just to find a 1/2 frozen lake with no way to get on it.. so i'll see if i can get the scoop and let ya know..

lol looks like them surplus fry would have done better somewhere else where they would not have been perch food.

makes for some fat perch tho [sly].. hopfulley some eye's and pike got in on some of the free dinner as well..
and they say the DWR dont plant food for the fish to eat! [Tongue]
[signature]
I should have come over and said howdy. You were witnessing my first few minutes in a tube and I felt lucky to still be afloat. Next time for sure. It was a perfect day for it. I can't wait to get it out agian.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Let me know if you would like some help in getting your new ride tricked out. I have a big garage and lots of PVC. Plus, I have worked through a lot of different systems so it is second nature to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me if you would like to come over and I will shoot you an address and directions. I live in the Taylorsville area.[/#0000ff]
[signature]