Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelhead
Im maybe wanting to go hit the Salmon this weekend. Anyone have any info on the steel head. What to use to catch them, Best place to go, are the fish around Salmon yet?

I was told mid Feb should be good at the Utah Boat show.

Thanks,

Tyler
[signature]
If I was to go, I would fish around shoup and down. That was the best in the past that time of year. Let us know how you do.
[signature]
ill be heading to shoup the second weekend of febuary i have always done well there in feb. i got some new set ups ive been tinkering with i want to try.
[signature]
Are we already scheduling steelhead trips? I'm in, just name the day. We may want to stick to the upper river that early though, I don't know if I can keep the trailer warm. A motel sounds better.
[signature]
If I were to go down there this early I would find deep slow holes, use good fresh bait, and drift nice and slow. The fish aren't moving, they are dormant until the water warms back up (deadwater blows out). This is the time of year where you are going to want to cast and move, cast and move. A biter ain't going to be easy to find. And by the way, no matter what anyone tells you down there, the ice on that river is never safe. Don't walk out on it, even if someone else is out there catching fish, it probably ain't going to be worth it. Good Luck to ya down there. Give us your report.
[signature]
Had some friends in salmon over the 17-18th and they did allright fishing at the park hole around salmon. They said it seemed like the fish were moving through pretty decent. They each picked up a few fish over the weekend witch we all no this time of year is pretty good.
[signature]
screw that bs. I was just refering to past years. I've growin out of that cold, I am now a fair weather steelheader.[fishin]
[signature]
i usualy try salmon and shoup around the second week in feb, i just dont feel very safe standing on the ice on that river. i think if i was to go now i would try the clearwater i have heard a few good thing from there but i think its just hit and miss
[signature]
That's not a bad idea, the Clearwater is definetly going to have warmer weather. But I have to way the drive time into things, 10 hrs or 3 hrs, you know. I've spent some time on the Clearwater, and enjoyed it very much. But I have something that makes me go to the Salmon, every time. Anyway, I think a guy can find some safe fishing down there. Just hope I don't have to drive to Corn Creek to find it.[Wink]
[signature]
a weekend realy isnt worth the drive to the clearwater, not for steelhead anyway for a b run salmon i might.
if you get to corn creek and there is nothin open you can always cut your losses and stop at the bar at long tom on your way out
[signature]
Damn rights! Looking back at the different trips I've had, there has certainly been a handful that were all driving and sippin on beers.
[signature]
damn you, you're pictures right there, you'll give us away.[laugh]
[signature]
sorry, you were still logged onto the office computer, I didn't realize.[sly]
[signature]