Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC and my new finder
Well convinced the wife to let me get the new fishfinder early. (Yeah for me).[Smile] I decided to get the Humminbird Matrix 17. I have a hand held GPS that i can hook up to it so i felt this was the best way to go. Thanks to those that gave advice in a previous post. Anyway I had to get out on the water to see how it worked of course. My brother and I went to DC. I love this new finder. Water temp was 52 and the fish wouldn't stay off our line. No matter what we threw at them. They were all 12- 13 inches Rainbows, but fat. So they would make a nice meal. We threw them all back so we can catch them later when they get bigger. Only three of the ones we caught were planters, I thought that was pretty good. Had great time.
[signature]
[size 1]"Only three of the ones we caught were planters"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Curious what brought you to that conclusion?[/size]
[signature]
Nice job... Congrats on the finder and the fish. [Smile]
[signature]
Kent
I thought that they always cut the fins off the planters. Only three of the ones that we caught had fins missing as if they were cut off. Let me know if I am wrong, so that I can adjust my way of thinking.
[signature]
They cut one of the fins off on a few bodies of water (Bear Lake comes to mind because of special regulations); however, on most bodies of water they don't do that, and quite certain that they don't do that on Deer Creek.
[signature]
I must of caught the ones that had fins eaten off by a walleye that only like to eat front fins. That fish is a pretty picky eater. J/K

Thanks for the heads up.[Smile]

Are there any big trout in DC. Or am I wasting time looking for the big one when it doesn't exist?

My goal is to catch a 5 plus pound rainbow. I have never caught anything over a 3 pounder.
[signature]
I don't know your definition of "big trout". But there definitely are some rainbows in there that go 4 or 5 pounds or more and are shaped like footballs. There are also some browns in there that I would definitely consider as big.
[signature]
Thanks Kent

I would like to catch some of those browns. Of course more time fishing is always better than more time working.
[signature]