Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was that an ECHO?
[size 2]Take out a tape measure and measure out 13 inches. That doesn't seem very large until you consider why I had you to do that. The reason for this little exercise was because yesterday, 02/17/03, I pulled a yellow perch through the ice at Echo reservoir that measured that exact dimension. At the end of the day, we headed back to the car and just happened to run into a conservation officer, who politely asked to see our liscenses and any fish we had caught. We obliged and when we showed him the monster perch he was elated and had to find his camera to take a few pics. Now, I have taken a few pics also, but they are at the beginning of a new roll, so everyone will have to wait until I finish it to see them. I sure hope they turn out all right. Until then........Good luck everyone!!

Justin Huether[/size]
[signature]

13" thats sweet.
[signature]
Nice fish , I caught a 12" perch at Utah Lake while dragging bottom (jigging)for walleye in the spring a few years back . At that time I never knew they where in there . I even let it go !! and I love to eat perch . What was wrong with me that day !! I have never fished Echo , If I don't get ill again this coming weekend may have to give it a try .
[signature]
Hey Justin, did you catch any other perch? any trout? What were you using and how deep were you fishing? Thanks for the help, WH2
[signature]
You guys want me to give away my secrets?? I'm game! As far as the depth goes, half the spool of my shakespeare synergy. We were fishing off of the second pullout, straight out, somewhere in the middle. We drilled 2 holes and a quick as I could get to the bottom, I hooked the big one. Thought it was a slimer the way it was spoolin' line. The perch got smaller after that one, so we went all the way across the reservoir. Average fish for about an hour, then we got into a group of bigger fish. We were fishing on the bottom, but had a few trout pick our jigs up on the way down. I was using Meal worms, and my buddy was using night crawler bits. Seems like #10 or #12 demon or similar ice flies have worked the best, so get on over to Hooked Fishing Tackle and pick some up (PLUG). We rig like this: Ice fly then 12-14" of leader, then a 1/8 oz. split shot to get to the bottom fast. Haven't been using any sort of flashers. In the afternoon, the bite slowed way down, so we started using perch meat and it quickly got hot again. Hope this helps!

Justin
[signature]
Wow a 13' perch thats pretty impresive. I wish i could pull something out of the ice like that.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Justin, all I've heard this winter is stories of small perch at Echo, I'm glad someone got into some of the biggies. Thanks again for sharing, WH2
[signature]
There are a lot of smaller fish, and if you are into them I suggest you move, because it's not worth waiting for your jig to get to the bottom if it's going to be picked up by the runts. Moving around has helped us into the larger fishes.

Justin
[signature]