Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have a better way?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I just started using a cone shape bead for muddlers & woollys. Found that to keep the cone centered and tight I backed it up with a bead. A few tight wraps of thread keeps in nicely in place. Do you have a better alternative?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Sounds like your method is an excellent way to do it.

Lots of piling thread wraps behind the bead is a common way.

For additional weight - wrap lead wire on the shank and then pack in behind the bead.

Wrap a lot of dubbing on the thread and then do the overlapping thread wraps.

Some people use a two part epoxy but that requires drying time before you use them along with something to dry a bunch of hooks with cone heads on them.

So far your method sounds like one of the best to me.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Thanks Scruffy_Fly. I did fill the remaining space around the bead with apoxy. As they say necessity is the mother of invention.
[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
i never though of doing it that way ,i have used superglue,and stuffing the butt ends of the feathers and wrapping the hell out of it.thanks for the new idea,cant wait to give it a try.
[signature]
RIGHT ON DR![Wink]
[signature]
If you look at those omn vids I told you about.. the one tyer uses a little lead wire to slip into/under the space in the bead/cone head.. and then ties right up behind that.. he says filling the gap keeps the bead from wobbling/slipping... remember I am not a tyer so I do not speak from experience...

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][unimpressed]Hey there macfly55 - I did go to that site but I had some problems with their program. It froze up my computer. After rebooting a few times I have been relucant to go back again. Consequently I was not able to view any of their stuff. Did you have any problems with their site?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
DR...
I had very little problems with accessing the site.. it was slow at times... but other than that no problems... basically he wraps the lead wire around the shaft of the hook....then pushes it back into the gap under the beadhead... he would then wrap thread back into the beadhead.. and that held it tightly in place.. and the lead wire stopped it from "wobbling"....I hope that helps.. and I hope you can get that program working okay.....

MacFly
[signature]
[#008000][cool][font "Poor Richard"][size 3]In one of myDVD's LeRoy Hyatt suggests inserting lead wire into a bead to center & keep it in place. I tried that with different guage lead wire but it didn't work as easily as illustrated. That is why I used the bead & apoxy on the cone.[/size][/font][/#008000]
[signature]
Leroy is the gentleman that I was talking about.. he sure makes it look so darn easy.... one of these days I will learn how to tie..

Mac
[signature]
[unimpressed] My quest toward a better way. I'm like MacFly. I've never tied, I just love the fishing with them. weird eh?

Muddlers are good in some quiet lakes that have an unseen spring feeding them. It's a fun fly to fish with. Short jerks.
But they either caught nothing or got tangled in something on the bottom.
A long slurry of Frog's eggs or slime is more common.

Curious about why a natural looking food source imitation was so un-functional, I tested a few Muddlers by casting them into shallow clear water where I could see the fly.

I'd cast out, lay the Rod down and go look at the fly.
I pretty much knew what I'd see. The Fly was upside down!

Trout that Slurp usually get hooked in the bottom lip, or side web.
With my Upside down Muddlers, I feel the tug, sometimes they just don't let go, and I think I have him, but usually not.
Muddlers are so good that Trout, usually found in bunches, will try to beat each other out of the Muddler. When one drops it, another will grab it.
But hooking them is tougher than making them interested.

I always wondered about making a couple of Whiskers for the Muddler, tapering back from under each side of his mouth that would function as keel weights so he'd land bottom side down.
These 'lead line whiskers' would also double as Hook guards to keep him from grabbing small sticks.

Another fly that's a hoot to fish with, but his very construction makes him a 'no show' at the Trout hanging, is the Deer Hair mouse.

He will roll from side to side and sometimes wind up with the hook up.
Fishing that roly poly mouse in moving water is too frustrating for me! Besides....moving water Trout seem to want smaller flies anyway.

Sometimes Trout don't care. They just gulp. I imagine Bass are the same way, I've never had the pleasure. (Maybe this year)

What if the Tyer made the Mouse's tail out of lead line, and attached the tail right above the Barb?
With his little hairy hiney tied all the way down to the Barb, the one Retarded Rainbow in the Lake might not notice....maybe?
Also the 'tail down' action might make him Bob up n' down front to back as you twitch him along?
[signature]