Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are the best flies for using with spinning bubble for trout
hey all,

what would you fly fisherman and spinnercats alike recommend for flies a trout fisherman should have in his box to go with the bubble and spinning gear? also whats the best way to use that bubble . . .i think a slow descent is what im looking for in most of the small lakes i encounter in the south . . i remember the first time i tried it, i didnt put anything in between me and the bubble and it floated to the surface! so i hauled it in and put a split shot 5 feet above the fly so that was as far as it could go up . . . caught a nice rainbow my second cast . . the bugs were everywhere at dusk landing in the water . . and the trout were everywhere rising for them . . .whats with the beads that came with my bubbles too . . .do you need something in between the bubble and fly like a swivel or split shot?

thanks alot!

sm
[signature]
Can never go wrong with black wolley buggers and hackles on your bubble/spin gear. I've had some incredible luck on the Provo with this.
[signature]
You can use just about any fly from any collection with a bubble. Dry flies (without the sinker) when the fish are rising and and wet fly (with the sinker) when they are not. One of the best flies I have found to use is a double renegade. It can be used either as a wet or dry fly.

I ususally slide on the bubble then tie on a swivel. I then will put a very small split shot on the knot to the swivel to keep the bubble from sliding over the swivel (is that how you spell swivel?). Then I will tie on some leader approxamatley the length of my rod, then the fly. That way when I am not using my rod I can hook the fly into the handle of my rod and carry it without the line getting all wound up and tangled.
[signature]
thanks, what size do you like, i usually use very small hooks for trout. . .

sm
[signature]
thanks . . .so between the split shot and the swivel . . the bubble is isolated so it cant slip too far, right?

sm
[signature]
There shouldn't be anything above the bubble except for your line. I prefer to attach a small split shot below the bubble and then tie the leader directly to the line below the split shot. I have found that adding a swivel will sometimes cause my leader to tangle more. You can get a fly to stay near the surface by leaving enough air in the bubble to cause it to barely float, or you can cause your fly to sink more by not leaving any air in the bubble.
[signature]
okay i understand better now . . thanks ! ! !
[signature]
I like to put a plastic bead above the knot to swivel . to protect the knot . I have added weight above the bubble about 4 " so the fish don't feel the bubble .enough room to inhale it . I like the wooly buggers and renagades are great
[signature]
As for the size of the fly, again it is fly fishing and you want to match what is in the air (if you are using a dry fly) as for the Double Renegade, I would use anything between a size 10 and 16, and as was mentioned in an earlier post, Wooly Buggers work great as well, in Black, Brown or olive, same size.

As Kent mentioned, if you want to fish deep, just fill the bubble all the way up and after casting allow several seconds for the bubble to sink, and then reel in fairly slowly, or the bubble will come back up. I sometimes will like to give it a jerk then real in the slack, and then jerk again, sometimes this can be very effective.

Another good dry fly, when they are out, is a hopper.
[signature]
thanks alot!
[signature]
thanks alot for your help!

sm
[signature]
i was wondering what those beads were for, and they are supposed to rattle against the the bubble, swivel, ect and attract fish too?
[signature]
I sure the bead will attract fish . When I would fish with my fly rod and have one of those float stike indicators on , bright like the beads . The fish will come up and hit it and not my flies . LOL
[signature]