Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake w/Dr. Flinn ... 11/9/06
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]After much debate about the weather, Dr. Flinn and I decided to hit the big pond early today. So we left at 4:30 from Ogden and launched in the morning light of the day at Bear Lake at 7:00. Met Bait_Caster, TrophyHunter, and TrophyHunter Jr. at the marina too.
[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]The drive through the canyon was on mostly dry and clear roads. Since the weather was predicting precip, we dawned our rain gear over our heavies and headed for the rock pile. Team TrophyHnter was the only other boat on the lake all day.

[inline Team-Trophy-400.gif]

In the morning we dodged squalls but one squall with it’s big wind and waves sent us scrambling for the west shore as fast as we could. Once it settled down, we headed back out for more fishing.

[inline Storm-400.gif]

We found frequent big marks on the sonar but try as we may, could not divert their attention from their duties of nature. It was interesting to watch them on the sonar … one big fish would come into view at about 2 feet off the bottom diving down and then one would come up from the bottom and meet the first one. Kept happening all day long. Marks varied from 36 feet to 54. Mostly around 40 feet.

Around noon, the sun came out and Dr_Flinn decided to try a pearl Zoom Supper Fluke. He kluged up some kind of Texas rig on it, dropped it down almost to the bottom and then that familiar little tap clued him to set the hook.

[inline Dr-Fish-400.gif]

That was the only fish all day. A very nice 10-11 pounder, but still the only fish boated today. I think I got one bite … that was it.

About 2:15 a bugger of a storm headed our way so we headed in. Yet another rough, long, ride back. Going into that storm, it took for ever. After a few minutes of rough going, I looked back towards Guss’s point and it seamed like I hadn’t made any headway at all. It was good to finally get back to the marina.

[inline Rough-Ride-Back-400.gif]

By the time we were packed up and ready to go, we were already starting to collect a boat load of snow.

[inline Snow-in-Boat-400.gif]

Going back down through the canyon was tricky in places too. Seen one jack knifed rig and another big truck that had slid off down a sharp embankment.

[inline Canyon-Snow-400.gif]

All-in-all, Dennis and I had a great time. He made my day by boating his nice trophy mack. Let’s do it again Dr. but maybe when there is better weather.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Nice report Old_Coot: Plus some great pics. It was good to see you guy's on the pond today. Best of all, it was sweet to watch Dennis pull that Big Dog in from the deep! Way to go Big D !! Congrats: Nice handy work on the netting operation Coot: Way to tag team that Lunker![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Trophy Hunter (TH) & (TH jr.) & I , all got rolling a tad after 5:oo am, Hit the Marina and headed streight out to the "old rock pile", drove arround till we marked good numders of fish, then anchored up. When the snow squall rolled in, we split for the safty of the marina, it was so thick, that we lost Old_Coot & Dr. Flin, drove right past 'em & didn't even know it! Crazy! Crazy! Good thing for the radio's, we kept in touch that way. When things settled down a bit, we headed back out. The morning fish only gave TH & I, one (1) little tap (bite) each, neither one of us got the hook-set! Very lite bite for the wavy waters.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This is Coot & Dr. flinn planning there Mack [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][inline resized123.bmp]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Wow: what some crazy weather today on the Bear! Still felt good to wet a line. Had some Great Company, and lots of elbow room on the Bear today. Thanks TH for the time spent on the lake, lets try our luck again, we both need to feel our polls bend with a Mack-Attack! Wow, what a crazy weather day.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[Wink] Now you know how i felt old coot when I watched you catch that big one with me that day. Made the whole day worth it.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Great report and nice pictures! Being out on the water and only catching one fish is alot better than being stuck at work![/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Hey guys if you want a great fish, a big fish, or any fish, just get in Ralph’s boat !

The Old Coot did it for me again. I really had fun today jumping waves in your Tin Wave Runner and catching that monster.

When that Mac started to play with my lure, it was on the way down and it felt like it was bumping something, then when it was close to the bottom I pulled it up a little bit and then it felt like when your lure rubs rub against a rock, so I pulled again and felt just a small “tap”, so I thought what the heck I’ll set, and it was like snagging a log! My pole bent and the fight was on, when it got close to the surface it looked like a shark the way it swam and hovered, you could see it plain as day about 10 -15 feet down, this is the biggest fish I’ve ever caught. When it was at the surface Ralph said bring it over here to the net, and it was like trying to pull my 125lb dog someplace he doesn’t want to go.

THANKS COOT I’ll be in your boat again!

By the way I don’t think my boat will be ready for the Salsa Boys Party, anyone got an empty seat, Ralph’s empty is already taken, dang it.
[signature]
Nice report guys. Glad everyone made it back safely as well.
[signature]
nice report guys, nice fish to doc.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice report nice that someone was able to land a big one. Sounds like typical BL weather. Have you considered launching off the beach? I know that ride back to the marina in bad weather is nerve wracking and i seldom launch off the beach and makes it much nicer to get off in a hurry. Just a thought
[signature]
I agree with Id Native about launching off the beach it only takes about 5 min to be back to the truck and have the boat on the trailer. Only time I launch at the Marina is if im fishing there the rest of the time I go off the beach.M.H.
[signature]
[reply]
... Have you considered launching off the beach? ... [/reply]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Yes, I have considered it ... and done it a few times too. My experiences haven't realy been worth the effort. So I think I'll pass. Here is post that I remember all too well:[/#002850][/font][/size]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=235986#235986"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=235986#235986[/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]And here is a picture from when I and Fish1on were pretty desperate:[/#002850][/font][/size]

[inline High_Water.jpg]
[signature]
Ralph,

That sure brought back some memories.

When beach launching, from newly acquired experience and watching others, it is better to wear waders and slide the boat off the trailer rather than trying to float it off. This keeps your tow vehicle on firmer ground and out of the water. It is mostly shallow on the SW shore down from my place but it can be done. Some friends of mine launch a trihull (heavy) off the beach all winter long. It takes two of them but they do it. My kid and I launched the wifes three seater PWC off the beach all summer. We never had the tow vehicle in the water but it was a little work. One tip is to get the bunk boards wet before you try to man handle the boat. Slides much easier.

Take me fishing and I will show ya what I know! LOL
[signature]
Hey Max hows it going? You just need to get a bigger boat.[Wink]

Jeff
[signature]
Yes i know it and i hope sometime in the near future i will be able to get one
[signature]