Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which rod for wifey?
My lovely wife has stated that since we moved back to Idaho, and she has seen new life come into my eyes at the prospect of once again fishing my home waters, that she would like to join me and learn to fish. I have decided to build some rods this winter, and would like to make a special one for her. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions. We will likely be fishing mostly lakes from the bank, with some river and creek fishing. I would like to build her a versatile rod that she can enjoy in a variety of these settings. I know it is possible to actually have rods specialized for every different body of water, but I fished with only one for years, and it did fine. I used to fish with a fenwick HMG. My wife is 5' 4", in good shape, and pretty strong. She has not fished since she was very little, and said she would prefer to try mostly spinners/jigs/spoons/etc. What do you guys suggest for the blank and size? I was thinking about Lamiglas IMS72ML or CTS C601 or 602. If you think a production rod would be better, let me know that as well. Thanks.
[signature]
Hi

You could spend part of a life time trying to decide what rod to build. I know I have tried most of them. I have built alot of different types, brands etc. In the guiding we do most of us have settled on the Temple Fork rods. They are great rods for the money. I really like the versatility of the TFO TICr rod. It can throw a great dry line and full sink lines as well. TFO also has come out with blanks and components this year. I'm planning on build several of them this year myself. Kinda like to jazz them up a little for fun. I think an 8'6" in a TiCr would do nicely for the wife.

If you need any further help just shoot me a message.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I am not sure if you are talking of building here a FLY rod or a FISHING pole. My ol man built a beautiful spinning rod for me several years ago out of a SAGE spinning blank. It is fantastic (even though Sad to say I do not spin fish anymore)[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you are talking FF I agree totally on TFO and would recommend (being a woman myself) if fishing from shore lines, the Pro Series 10' 5wt. I can cast to my backing with this rod.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I was going to get my wife a new rod this spring. When she figured out that I was just looking at getting a new rod for myself[blush], she said she could just use one of my fishing poles.

It really depends on what feels good to her. When fishing from the shore as you described I would like a 7' rod. Where she is new to fishing, a shorter rod (5'6") might be easier for her to use. I doubt she could feel the difference in any of the blanks you mentioned. If I were you, I would select what feels good to me. Then if she doesn't like fishing, you will at least have another pole to select from.[Smile]
[signature]