Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Berry Good Day!!!
My cousin and I hit the 'Berry again today. I've said this before and I'll say it again: If you haven't had a chance to fish Strawberry this year, you should do whatever it takes to get there and do it before it ices up!...Of course, it will still be just as good once it ices up...but if you like going out in a boat, it is awesome right now! Weather was absolutely perfect. No wind the whole day, with sunny blue beautiful sky. Not even a breeze! It was below freezing in the morning though as our eyelets were icing up until the fog went away and the sun came out! Arron and I each had personal best days this year as far as fish count goes, and we had to stop around 1:00 p.m. because we were out of bait. (We gave some of our chubmeat to some 'tooners and boaters who weren't catching anything with worms) Our biggest fish were a 24 3/4 inch 5.5 lb. Cutthroat and a 23 inch 3 to 4 lb Rainbow. We caught more than 10 over the slot, but we also caught a lot of 16 and 17 inchers today. Most fish were caught vertical jigging in about 30 feet of water. Arron caught a couple at the dock while launching with a Kastmaster, but those were the smallest of the day. The day wasn't all roses however. Right off the bat, I busted my own Berkley Cherrywood fishing rod getting into the boat at the Marina. Of course Arron had a hootinanny with that one. I still used it however, even though I had two other poles...it's still my favorite, even with the tip broke off! And then the first fish that I caught in Mudcreek, I used Arron lipgrippers as mine was still tucked away, and when I went to measure the fish, his built in tape measure broke. He thought that was funny too until I told him they were his lipgrippers. Then he said a bad word as I laughed at him. A few fish later, using my own lipgrippers, mine did the same thing! Only mine broke on the 5 inch mark, where Arrons broke on the 8 inch mark. Once again, he mocked me. A few fish later, I heard "Fish On!" then "SNAP!!" as he busted his sorry a$$ extendo-pole setting the hook on a big fish! He got the fish but I couldn't help but laugh. And then my motor wouldn't run right pulling out of Mudcreek. Good thing the fishing was VERY good! It was all worth it. So in the end, we broke two sets of LipGrippers, and 3 fishing rods and I need to find out whats up with my outboard. Stopped at Cabela's on the way home and they warranteed both sets of Lipgrippers. The helpful customer service girl there looked as us real funny when we both handed our busted lipgrippers with the broken ends of each tape measure across the counter and asked for new ones! Anyway, we caught OVER 100 fish. (Not kidding) and gave a bunch of tube jigs, jigheads and chub meat to some fisherman around us who were not catching as many as they should have been. Oh, when we pulled the boat out, Arron busted his GOOD pole...it was only two weeks old! Sweet justice. See pics.
Ok, it took me 1/2 hour to upload the pics. They are all there now!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Great report and pics Randy sounds like you guys had a great time. Now you got me wanting to head up there in the morning.
[signature]
Sounds like you had an awesome time. I had to finish moving or I would have been there also. I think I have the wife talked into letting me go Thanksgiving morning as long as I can be home in time for the turkey diner with the in-laws. Oh- I also might have to go shopping in the with the crazy day after Thanksgiving crowd. But the berry is worth it. Congrats on the great day.
[signature]
The fish really cooperated with you guys today. Maybe they just felt bad about your equipment destruction session! Thanks for the report.
[signature]