Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington 11-30
The whole lake is now frozen but I wouldn't walk on most of it. Standing near the edge I went through in about eight inches of water. Stepped across onto some stronger looking ice and walked out and started drilling holes. About five inches of ice. Finally made it out to 22 feet of water but there are two layers of ice. The both were about three inches with about five inches of water in-between. Not sure what made the solid ice we were walking on because if you got off it you sank in slush real fast. My brother went about 10 feet and came back in a hurry. There were 3 other groups that came and were closer to the dam on a stretch of ice that looked like the ice we were on.

Fished for about four hours and had fish coming through the whole time. I landed 34 after finding the right color jig. My brother caught 14 and his girlfriend landed 3. Hook sets were a little tricky and it was her first time ice fishing. The only down side was all the wind. It blew almost the whole morning. Two degrees a little after seven and forgot to look when we left. Waist deep snow to get to the lake though.

We had a good time but you couldn't pay me to walk on most of that ice. It is not solid!
[signature]
What's the best way to get to Huntington?
[signature]
[cool]Wow, it sure is amazing how fast conditions can change up there. Pretty much, as far as the ice fishing goes up there, the conditions are just right for a week or two usually, then iether the snow is too deep, the ice too thick, or too thin thanks to the insulation from the new snow. I'm glad I fished it when I did last weekend. The first weekend it has safe ice is the only time I care to ice fish that lake. Man, waist deep snow already, eh? I guess that's what that 10,000 feet elevation does to it...Glad you caught fish. Those tigers sure are pretty, ain't they?

Sounds like we might be another week out before there's safe ice at other locations than Huntington. The dam area at Scofield, and one little bay at Strawberry would be about the only places I can think of that *might* have safe ice this weekend, besides maybe Birch Creek and Woodruff, but I've never fished those locations, just heard about them...
[signature]
As you go over the top of Fairview canyon towards Huntington its the first lake on the right. If you need more than that drop me a pm.
[signature]