Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Conditions: Birch Cr. and Woodruff Cr. Reservoirs
[font "Futura Md BT"][black][size 3]I checked the ice conditons at both Birch Cr. Res. and Woodruff Cr. Res. this afternoon (Thursday 11/30). Birch Cr. Res. has about 1.5-2" of ice and it looks a little scary (fractures, etc.) I did not venture far off the dam and was able to knock a hole with a spud with two hits. Woodruff Cr. Res. has about 3.5"-4" and the ice looks pretty solid. FYI....The town of Woodruff has been at 15 below zero the last two nights and I would guess that by the weekend there will be 3-4" at Birch Cr. and 4-6" at Woodruff Cr. There already were several holes from fishermen at Woodruff Cr. and only one hole at Birch Cr. However, when I was leaving Birch Cr. a lone ice angler just showed up and started fishing.[/size][/black][/font] [font "Futura Md BT"][size 3]Also, for those of you unfamiliar with either water body....Woodruff Creek Reservoir contains cutthroat trout and some of the largest mountain whitefish I have ever seen. Cutthroat trout are caught year-round but I have yet to see someone figure out the mountain whitefish in there. Birch Cr. Reservoir is stocked with tiger trout and there may also be some rainbows in there. The tigers are aggressive and some are getting pretty big so this could be a real sleeper for ice fishing! Both are located about 5 miles or so due west of Woodruff, UT on the road towards Monte Cristo. The road is closed between Woodruff and Huntsville for the winter so the only way over is to come through Logan or Evanston, WY and around.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I never heard of either body of water??????

I wouldn't mind ice fishing it with ya one weekend?
[signature]
There's no fish in either res.![Wink]
[signature]
Is the road open and plowed to the Res? Or do you have to Snowmobile in? That may be worth an early trip if mantua dosn't freeze by Sunday.
[signature]
How far of a drive is it to Birch Creek and Woodruff from Logan?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]About 2 hours.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We were going to fish Birch Creek and Woodruff tomorrow on the ice but IFG got a report from a guy that said with the warmer temps, more water came into Woodruff during the afternoon and floated the ice away from the shoreline about 6-7 feet. Guess it was tough going trying to get off for a few folks and some got wet. Heard you had to make a big leap from the ice to shoreline and some weren't very good jumpers...[/size][/black][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As I said, second hand info but enough to change our minds about going.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Rich -- thanks for the post! Getting ready to head out the door to go to those two reservoirs. Sounds like we better move onto plan B, which I guess is Scofield and Huntington (I hate slush).
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Yeah the only kind of slush I like is from 7-11.[Smile][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]