Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
marabou minnow eyes
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I am in the process of tying a marabou minnow which calls for a small bead chain eye. Usually the dumbbell eyes sold at FF stores are rather expensive for what one gets. Having several links of bead chains available in my shop I thought that I would use a pair of these beads. Was wondering if the little holes in the outside of the beads would create a different flow pattern. Has anyone use these beads before, & if so what has been your experience with how the fly performs while being retrieved? By the way they tie on much easier and securely than the dumbbell eyes.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Bead chain for eyes have been used for years on flies and are quite effective. it is a in good expensive way to get eyes and a little weight. Try coloring the bead with a sharpie or some other water proof colored pen.

I have always figured that the lead and tungsten barbell eyes came around after people started using bead chain and figured that people needed haevier weights for some flys.

The lead and brass eyes are excellent for getting the down deep in quick order and giving the fly more radical jigging movement.

Tie the fly near the eye of the hook and it will make a more radical dip when you pause. Tying the eyes on towards the center of the fly and the fly will tend to decent in a more level and slower motion.

Tying the bead onto the hook point side of the shank will tend to keep the fly moving with the hook point down. Tying the bead onto the top side of the shank will tend to cause the fly to flip so that the hook is riding up on top. It will depend on the weight of the hook bend vs the weight of the eyes and the dynamics of the other materials in the water plus the materials weight distribution.

With lead and brass barbell eyes the hook is mostlikely going to ride with the eyes below the shank no matter what side of the shank you tie it on. This is because the weight of the eye will probably be more than weight of the other materials and the hook combined.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]DR, I use the chain eyes also, but usually I make my own with a heavy mono and two small beads from a craft store. You can get some real neat colors. I have some gunmetal beads that work great on some of the nymphs I tie. Green on damsel nymph and try red beads for kicks.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I don't use the lead eyes very often except maybe on the bend of my crayfish pattern. I personlly don't care for weighted flies, but I do have all different weights of lines. Let my lines do the work and adjust my leader length to put the fly in the zone.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I shouldn't say I never use weighted flies cause I will use the lead wrapped flies like Rickards and B.S. with an intermediate, that works great.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
FG, Now that you mention making your own eyes with beads and heavy mono reminds me. Heavy mono melted into a barbell shape with a lighter makes good eyes too without weight. I use this method for some damsel patterns and for mysis shrimp patterns.

Your point about using sinking lines as opposed to weighted flies makes sense. Getting hit in the back of the head with a weighted fly hurts. Hitting your rod with it could be disasterous. Throwing heavily weighted flies takes a lot out of your arm fairly quickly.

I do a small copper john pattern using brass barbell eyes.
[signature]