Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longer Season??
I was just wondering if anyone has any info about how the longer season affected Henry's Lake? Do you think that it hurt the lake or was it not as big of a deal as it could have been? I was just wondering about the great lake and the new season.

Fight4not
Wish I was ice fishing instead of sitting in immunology. [Sad]
[signature]
I do think that the ice fishing could effect the population of larger fish in Henry's. The fish are stacked in such tight pockets that if more fishermen keep coming every year then you could easilty see a couple hundred ice fishermen stacked up on top of the fish. If they weed through the smaller ones and keep to large ones each then 400 large fish a day could come out of lake on a given day.

Is all I can say is what I saw on the last day. I counted 50 people at the peak of the day. Everyone was having a good time and I did not see anyone cheating or mistreating the fish. I did see that most people kept two very large fish each. I know for sure that I saw 10 over 7lbs harvested. I took one home that was 8lb 2 oz so I don't hold against anyone I am just saying that as the popularity spreads so will the pressure on the big fish. I really think that it is concievable that 2 or 3 thousand big fish could be harvest if there was an early freeze and people got out for the last three weeks of the season instead of one week.

Good to hear from you fight for not check your PMs.
Windriver
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I feel it is a bad idea. I watched Daniels go from Trophy status to just another good fishing hole.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
If Henry's freezes solid early and there are enough ice fishermen there might be a little damage done, but most years that won't happen. I bet the Memorial Day weekend crowd in 2006 did 10X the damage the ice fishermen did in 2006.
If it was open all winter to ice fishermen I think the fishery would be hurt by ice fishermen. Were Henry's is only open until the end of November I don't think ice fishing will result in any significant harvest. It is a big lake with a lot of fish.
[signature]
Guest,

Welcome to BFT! It is great seeing new member sign up. If any of you need help registering a username, let me know.
Once you have a registered username you can send and recieve PM's (personal messages) as well as other benifits. Most of the better information is shared through PMs.
[signature]
Truthfully I think there may be bigger things to worry about down the road here. I heard the F&G implanted 500 fish with radio transmitters to study where they hang out this winter. To me this sounds like they are thinking of considering even lengthening the season even longer possibly down the road. This may attract tons of anglers and put great pressure on the bigger fish. If it is not broke I say it does not need to be fixed in my opinion.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You could be right and lets hope you are. The lake is becoming so popular. I have friends from CA. that go up ther every year for the past 3 yrs because of the fish size (and the one I caught this fall didn't help). The numbers are growing. They were up there the last of October with ice on one or two days.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Kinda hard to do a catch and release with the fish this big, plus as I have said in previous post, there are CHUB and they are big. I know the cutts are not going to take care of the chub problem but other species will.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I release the 34" (what was I thinking) because I would rather have a glass mold (which I have no place to put anyway) and they are not good to eat, but that is just me.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Here is some information that I have been told was collected by the F&G this November.
[left][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size] [/left] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]HENRYS LAKE NOVEMBER FISHING[/font][/size][/center]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]The fishing season on Henrys Lake was extended through November for the 2006 season. This was the first time the lake was open during the month of November in approximately 30 years. Some public concerns that were expressed about this extension during our public meetings follow:[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1)[/size] [size 3]Extending the season one additional month in the fall might lead to excessive fishing pressure and subsequent excessive harvest.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]2)[/size] [size 3]Extending the season through November might lead to an ice fishery during that month, with again subsequent excessive harvest and excessive pressure.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]We surveyed the lake throughout the month of November for angling pressure. We counted anglers on 15 days throughout the month. The following observations/data were gathered from those surveys.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]OPEN WATER FISHING[/font][/size][/center]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Henrys Lake froze over for the first time on October 31st. Henrys completely thawed again on the afternoon of November 1st, but froze over again that night and remained partially frozen for the next three weeks. A pattern of some ice and some open water prevailed for the next three weeks. Open water areas changed periodically, depending on the winds. On November 23rd, the lake completely froze over and stayed that way until the end of the month. The following observations/data were gathered during the period of November 1st-November 23rd.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1)[/size] [size 3]Angler counts were made on 8 of the 23 days in November prior to the lake freezing over for the winter.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]2)[/size] [size 3]No anglers were observed on 25% of those 8 days.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]3)[/size] [size 3]Out of the 8 days, boats were observed on 3 days only (38%), with the most boats counted on 1 day being 2 boats.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]4)[/size] [size 3]Most of the angling pressure came from shoreline fishing with angling pressure noted at the following locations: Hatchery area, State Park, County Boat Dock, Wild Rose, and private residences. The most anglers counted at one time were 7. Shoreline angling pressure was heaviest at two locations: Hatchery area and the State Park.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]5)[/size] [size 3]8 fishing violations were detected.[/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][/center] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]ICE FISHING[/font][/size][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Henrys Lake freezes over at different times each year as one might expect. Since 2001, Henrys has frozen over completely at dates varying from October 28th-November 23rd. Safe ice fishing conditions have not been evaluated, so that date is not available. However, as was the case this year, the lake often freezes over and then thaws at least partially again. [/font][/size][/center]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1)[/size] [size 3]The first ice fishing noted on the lake was November 24th.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]2)[/size] [size 3]Angler counts were made on all days from November 24th - November 30th.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]3)[/size] [size 3]A total of 124 ice fishing anglers were counted, with the majority of those anglers fishing on November 29th and 30th (77%).[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]4)[/size] [size 3]Approximately 65% of the ice fishing anglers harvested fish.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]5)[/size] [size 3]Most ice fishing anglers caught at least 1 fish.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]6)[/size] [size 3]The maximum legal harvest for the 124 ice fishermen would have been 248 fish if every angler harvested their two-fish limit. Given that only 65% of anglers harvested fish, a total harvest of 162 fish is a reasonable estimate. This is less than 1% of the normal 20,000 fish harvest from Henrys Lake.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]7)[/size] [size 3]Ice fishing success overall was excellent, but ice fishing was noted in only 5 locations: Staley’s, Pintail Point, County boat dock, State boat ramp, and the hatchery area.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]8)[/size] [size 3]85% of the ice fishing anglers fished at the Staley Springs location.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]9)[/size] [size 3]Approximately 40 license checks were made. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]10)[/size] [size 3]No violations were detected pertaining to license infractions or over limits.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]11)[/size] [size 3]Overall angler satisfaction was high, with many anglers requesting continued ice fishing opportunity at Henrys Lake.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]12)[/size] [size 3]No catch and release mortality was noted, however due to some high catch rates and predominate use of bait, some mortality was inevitable. Most caught fish appeared to be hooked in the mouth area and not deeply embedded within the gills.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Overall, the angling pressure and harvest during the month of November was relatively light and probably insignificant to the fish population on Henrys. The major concerns were based on the following observations:[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]1)[/size] [size 3]Angler access at Staley Springs. The only public access is located approximately ¼ mile from the spring area. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]2)[/size] [size 3]A relatively short ice fishing opportunity this year created few, if any concerns or problems. However, if ice conditions provided a longer ice fishery in future years, angling pressure could increase dramatically. Although reduced fish population concerns would still probably not be realized. [/size][/font]
[signature]
Brain,

Thanks that was an awesome report. I think that really said a lot. It sounds like the pressure at the lake was really light. I guess a lot of people are off hunting or too busy to fight the weather.

Fight4not
[signature]
Ditto on great post. The Post Register in Idaho Falls reported what I previously mentioned about the fish study this winter. I guess I still don't quite understand the 85% figure they came up with for fish mortality there. I am assuming a big % must be winterkill if the snow blocks the ice in late winter and the weeds die off so there is no oxygen.
[signature]
Hi All

Just wanted to add my 2cents. The report that Brian shared was a report generated by Damon Keen the fishery manager at Henrys Lake.

In looking at the report and I have no doubt that the statistics are accurate. Damon has always been a straight shooter.

What we have to do is look at the possibilities "IF" the lake is frozen end of October which with water temps the way they were. The Lake could have easily been frozen that early. "IF" again this being the case and you let the word out that you can have 100 fish days as some did. Let the hordes start massing on the lake. The fish come in close to certain areas to set up and be ready to spawn. It would be similar to fishing the Redds on a river. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. If the lake's fish stayed scattered would not be as big an issue (like Memorial day) but they are all congregated in just a few areas in mass. No one can tell me that if the Hordes arrive they are going to put the big ones back or the fish are going to be treated decently--ya right they are. Some well but a good portion of meat hunters will not. It will become a so so fishery rather than the trophy lake that everyone has come to love.

You can't park masses over a bunch of spawners and not impact the fishery in my little ol humble opinion.

I think ice fishing will impact the lake in a negative way. To what extent will be determined by length of season, mortality rates--and you know they are going to be high with treble hooks and the ethics of fishermen will always play apart in any fishery.

As far as the transmitter issue. Only 30 fish were implanted with transmitters not 500. I would comment more but Bill is doing a story on the implanting that will be coming out soon.

This is more than I have said for 6 months Smile)) Must have struck my one nerve. Should make for a lively debate in months to come.
[signature]
Thanks for your insight tybugs. I would agree that if conditions are right there will be some damage done by ice fishermen. I don't think the November season will ruin the fishery though. If it was open all winter I think it would be a different story.

I don't really think that treble hooks do much damage but then again I don't fish bait with treble hooks and pinch down my barbs 95% of the time.

The hooking mortality could certainly be an issue. Some anglers just don't take as much care when releasing fish as they should. Trout in cold water don't build up lactic acid like they do in 70 degree water. I think the hooking mortality of a conscientious ice fishermen using bait would be lower than the hooking mortality of a fly fishermen during the summer catch fish in 70 degree water. I don't have any numbers to back this up, I'm just drawing from personal experience.
[signature]
In my limited knowledge and opinion, if you want to "save" Henry's Lake fish, lets close it to all types of fishing except ice fishing. This would limit the number of days it could be fished and I think alot less people would fight the snow and cold in that area. This idea would never be a popular one but it sure would be fun to try.
[signature]
It's more than just saving fish. It's being careful with resources we have. It's a love affair with a lake and being protective. There are alot of issues involved and need to be studied and wise decisions made. Henrys has always been a trophy fishery. If we destroy it we can always have a put and take fishery!
[signature]
If the Lake would have frozen early as Nov 1 and the word was out there that 100 fish days were possible. You don't think there would be hordes massing on the lake?

The longer season with hundreds parked over spawning fish would impact the fishery plain and simple. Most are not going to turn the big fish back. They will go on a wall or freezer burn haven. If I parked over the Redds on the South Fork I bet there would be a few get all stirred up and say how its bad for the fishery. I don't have an issue on ice fishing per sae but ice fishing over congregated spawners I do. If the word had gotten out that the lake was frozen and people had a month or two to fish it. No one could tell me that this won't impact the fishery.

People come to Henrys for Big Fish. If we dont have big fish people can go anywhere to catch fish. What an economic benefit we would lose as well.

I guess I think Henrys is pretty special and I'm a little protective.
[signature]
Lots of phone calls to me; only a few comments - trout do not feed in 70 degree water. And in 3 of the last five years Henrys Lake froze over in October. And in five days the fishermen went from two to 50; what would have happened it there were 10 to 20 days available for ice fishing? Do you know of a shallow trophy lake that has survived ice fishing and remained a trophy lake?

Bill
[signature]
Bill brings up a good point. If you think about it, in a shallow lake the fish are going through a hard time to survive the winter due to oxygen depletion. If Henry's was opened up to a longer ice fishing season then the fish would have an added pressure to survive the winter. I think it is probably good as it is right now. With a limited amount of ice fishing days.

Fight4not
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I can name two right off the bat. Daniel's and Mantua. Both lakes I use to be able to catch 27" cutt's, bow's or Kamloops. Both are now open to ICE FISHING. Well, Mantua, had one person (could have been more) decide to use live bait (not legal by the way) and now the lake is over run with perch and no trophy fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Daniel's is another that is open to ICE FISHING and reg's are artificials and lures, plus no treble, but come on, it only takes one idiot and we have all seen it. Again, no more TROPHIES. and I have seen the damage in just 3 yrs.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We have a river here that has one section for bait, the rest is as mentioned above. See worm containers and power bait jars all over the place.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Henry's could go with the Barbless, no treble, no bait, artificial flies and lure...which means NO SCENT! and that could help protect the environment...but do you want that?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I would have to disagree Superslammer as like Tybugs pointed out- When you have masses of fish congregated they become much easier to target and catch. When word gets out people are catching numbers like Windriver pointed out earlier, crowds will appear in hordes to catch them. Ice fishing is much easier in my opinion than summer fishing to target fish. Look how many WindRiver pointed out were caught in a single day from a specific area. You won't see that very often during the summer.

It will be interesting to read Bill's article on the implanting taking place and what they are gathering from this.
[signature]
BSflies and tybugs1,

If there is 30 days of ice and it averages 50+ anglers a day and all of them were catching a lot of fish I would agree that some damage would be done. Even if the anglers are not keeping many fish the hooking mortality could be a problem. The other day when I was fishing Devil Creek I had to keep 5 and I didn't plan on keeping any. There just wasn't any point of releasing them when they were going to die anyway.

You two know much more about Henry's than I do so I will take your word for it. It is good for the rest of us fishermen to have guys like you looking out for Henry's Lake. I look forward to reading your article in the paper.

I have caught many trout in 70 degree water. It is common for the lower Henry's Fork to be above 70 degrees around the beginning of August. I was catching rainbows and whitefish when the water was 77-79 degrees one day. The fish that seem to do the worse are the ones caught in deeper water lakes when the surface temperature is above 70 degrees. I've had a problem with having to keep fish that I didn't want to at Island Park Reservoir on several occasions. If it takes too long to land them in warm water it doesn't matter how long you try to revive them, they still go belly up.

flygoddess,

It is legal to use a treble hook at Daniels Reservoir. The "no bait" part of the regulations mandate the use of a single barbless hook. Check the definition of hook on the top of page 11 in the regulations. I don't think treble hooks are the evil that many make them out to be.

I also get mad when I see all of the bait containers left at these places. I'm sure you have fished Daniels after ice off and have also seen all of the bait containers left by ice fishermen. When these guys get caught the judge doesn't go easy on them.
[signature]