Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice auger drill attachment
[black][size 3]Has anyone used or know anyone that has used one of the chordless drill attachments for ice auger blades ? At $15-$25 they seem like a good idea, But if they don't work, then that's $15-$20 too much.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I already have a drill, and an hand auger that would fit either one of these. So, if it can do a few holes in the ice per day, it would be easier on the budget than the $200-$500 that a gas one would cost.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]These are the ones I am talking about:[/size][/black]
[black][size 4]The Ice Master.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline icemaster.jpg][/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline icemaster2.jpg][/size][/black]
[black][size 4]The Nimrod adaptor:[/size][/black]
[black][size 4][/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline 26432i_ts.jpg][/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline 26432_ts.jpg][/size][/black]
[black][size 3] If you do know of someone personally, I would appreciate any comments you might share - so would other folks that are cash strapped or have a physical difficulty with hand augers.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thank you in advance.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I have trying to get one I made to work for 2 yrs. However mine is on a 8" auger and that may be just to much and I also "think" ice thickness will play a part as well.

However if your hand auger is a good one it's probably gonna work for a few holes and maybe even as well as they say. I did notice mine thru the ice and water much more than the gas auger.
[signature]
what they dont tell you is [ul] [li]you need a 24 volt drill,[/li] [li]its good for half dozen holes though 4-6 inches of ice.[/li][/ul]
forget the deap ice holes,
pack a couple extra batteries.

for the money you need to invest, just buy a new lazer hand drill. its faster, bigger hole, you will be happier.

I have a 9 volt drill. My buddy has the attachment and a 24 volt drill, and auger. he lives on a cannal where the ice never gets more than 6 inches deep even in the dead middle of winter. so it is perfect for him, he only goes out one night a week, and then he dont do much fishing if you catch my drift...

Mine wont cut it....
[signature]
I agree with Dave on this.. Save your dough
[signature]
I bought one from guy on E-bay last year. I thought it worked well. I used it on the berry and at Rockport. The only drawback I found is the battery draw on the drill. I found it to be a big plus if you keep the batteries warm. This way they last much longer. I found that if I keep the batteries warm then I ususally did not need the back-up battery. I use the 18 volt DeWalt drill.Hold on tight as the auger grabs as it breaks through the ice at the end.

Anyway, that is my experience with them.

Macscabin
[signature]
A friend of mine had a large electric drill and had a converter hooked up to his truck , and it went through like butter !! Also , he put it in reverse , and shot all the ice slush back down the hole , and under the ice !! Also , in a fish house , you wont get the gas smell in there , also , you can keep the floor more dry , cause you won't have to carry out all the ice from the holes you drilled !! But still , I like my Jiffy 10 inch Stealth !!!
[signature]
That's encouraging! I need to replace my drill so maybe my next one will have the muscle necessary to power may auger thru. What size is you auger/
[signature]
[cool] If you were asking what size auger my friend had , it was a 8 inch !

[signature]
Thankyou, yes that was what I was wondering. I have an 8" I have been trying to get work for two yrs but haven't found the drill that could handle it yet. Maybe my new drill will.
[signature]
My auger is a 6" eskimo but the hole ends up 7 1/2" from the wobble of the drill. I have used it to drill several holes at Strawberry when the ice was 24" or better last year. I bought a gas powered auger for the deep ice but it sure is nice to be able to go lightweight at the start of the season.

Tight lines,
Macscabin
[signature]
I have one that I got off of eBay a couple years ago. It definitely does help get the job done. The biggest problem that I've experienced is that when the auger gets caught at the bottom of the ice, it drains the battery real quick. If you can keep that from happening, and you're not one to drill a bunch of holes all over the place, you should be able to get 6-8 holes per battery on a full charge.
[signature]
[reply]what they dont tell you is [ul] [li]you need a 24 volt drill,[/li] [li]its good for half dozen holes though 4-6 inches of ice.[/li][/ul]
forget the deap ice holes[/reply]

I have to disagree with you there. Yes, I do use a 24 volt cordless drill. But I get 6-8 holes thru ice that's around 2 feet thick. If I was going thru ice that's a foot or less, I'd easily double that amount.
[signature]
I guess thats the differance between a new battery and an old battery.

I usualy drill ten holes every day. that is untill I get my spot down pat.
[signature]
Sure wish I could find the "spot" easily. LOL. So far I've been relying on everybody else to find them for me. Was out using the hand auger without the drill attachment today. Didn't feel like I needed it with only 7 inches of ice.
[signature]
Mac,
I am looking at buying one of those adapters for my 18Volt Dewalt and 6Z" Eskimo. I would really like to see yours at work if it was possible. I live in Salt Lake and fish, Rockport, Pine View and Mantua mostly but could travel to witness how it works for you.
There are 3 different company's that make this kind of device from what I can find with the latest kind running about $75 but having a 6/1 gear reduction and a built in top handle.
[signature]
any one with acess to a bench drill and small thathe or O'D' grinder can make one.

all it is, [ul] [li]an adapter that goes from your drill to the inside shank of the auger.[/li] [li]there is also a catcher that mounts on the auger itself to keep it from falling though the hole. and yes I have seen them get sucked righ out of the drill's grip and fall.[/li] [ul] [li]the catcher can be a peice of steel that is a couple inches wider than the auger on both sides. just be sure to grind round all corners and edges because it will catch on your clothing if you dont.[/li][/ul][/ul]
home made ones work as well and store bought ones....[Wink]
[signature]
Yea I can make one of the generation 1 adapters, very easy. That's why I want to know how well it really works. If you use a simple wooden disc cut from plywood as the catcher it won't catch on your cloths.
The generation 3 that is being marketed has a 6/1 gear reduction system. I would like to know how they work as I think the big drawback to the straight adapter is the tourque limits of the drill.
I have the 3 speed drill, the three speed has more tourqe but is only in 12 volt.
[signature]
I have a 12 volt dewalt,
2 speed
17 drill settings

it all depends on how many holes you need., not the tork but the battery.... if you have an x marks the spot it would be enough for a couple holes. but keep the handle in truck at least.

to be honest you could prabably get away with out an auger at all, most guys I have found have always been generous enough to say here try mine.

it might be alright for a 4 inch auger. but man I cant pull a 12 inch crappie up a 4 inch hole. those holes are perfect for perch or 8 inch gills, any thing else its a bust, I am uncomfortable with a 6 inch hole, I will settle for an 8 inch hole but much rather have an 11-12 inch hole...

If you have a strike master hand lazer auger it might work, but take the handle just in case. you can throw the drill and adapter and a couple tools in the bucket to run an experiment. You have to have a good auger to begin with.
[signature]