Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Tube Sleddin' 12-6-06
[cool][#0000ff]I have always made it a point to do some tubing every month of the year. With all the water turning hard this past week that limited my potential launch sites. I decided to try Deer Creek, around the island. I figured that with the "temperature inversion" that I would have shirt sleeve conditions. NOT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was 14 degrees, foggy and a chill breeze was blowing when I drove into the island State Park at 8 AM. There was also a few inches of snow still on the ground, so I rigged up for "tube sleddin'". My Outcast Super Fat Cat makes a good snow sled when it is towed "bow" forward (see pics). I've done that before so I felt comfortable launching through the snow.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Backed my tube sled down the snowy PWC ramp, launched and started kicking out into deeper water. The water temp was 38 close to shore, but rose to just over 42 as I got out nto deeper water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did not see a single fish mark until I reached about 30 feet (no married ones either). Shortly after making it into about 35 feet of water, I saw a few fish on the bottom and began jigging my lure seductively. WHAM!. Something sizeable ripped a few yards of line off the reel. However, not wanting to go through all the hassle of fighting it all the way in, I made a "professional disconnect". Saves a lot of wear and tear on the tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Didn't have another inquiry for over an hour. The fog (mist) was so bad at times that I could barely see the lone tooner or the two boats that were also working the area. It was wierd to hear a guy's cell phone ring and the conversation...only a few yards away...but to be totally unable to see them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I got around to the north side of the island I began to see more fish. I found one cluster on a hump in 45 feet of water that I really think were probably perch. But, they didn't want what I was offering. Fishing in 30 feet of water, bouncing a chartreuse Roadrunner with a piece of perch meat, I started to get light taps. I finally put the hook in one of the teasers and reeled up a "finless Freddie"...hatchery pet. I caught several more over the next hour or so, before the mist finally lifted. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was really pretty as the mist swirled and left the water. The snow covered hills emerged and the bushes were covered with frost. Timpanogos was especially grand with its new white dress. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I decided to get off the water about noon and to make a trip up to Jordanelle...maybe catch a few of the trout I left behind at Rock Cliff on my last visit. (See Jordanelle Report). I got out closer to the island and hauled my tube sled easily along the snowy shoreline back to my vehicle. The temperature had risen to a balmy 24 as I drove out of the parking lot on the way to Lake X.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report, and great photos. I'm glad you went, and I didn't. Those temperatures are a bit low for me to go tubing in. This way I got the benefit of the beautiful scenery (from your pictures) without any of the cold. How did you keep your hands warm?
[signature]
Nice report and really nice pictures. Die-hard tuber you are.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you liked the pics. The scenery always makes a trip there worthwhile, but it is better if you catch some fish too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a high metabolism, but my hands DO get cold when there is a wet breeze along with super low temps. I wear a pair of fleece thinsulate gloves when not fishing...loading up, trudging to and from the water, etc. Just got them for about $7 at the Army Navy store on Redwood Road near me. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While fishing, I now wear some new Glacier Gloves (Kenai), also about $7 I just got from Cabelas. Today was the first time I wore them and I really like them. Fleece, waterproof, with rubberized grips. And, they come in XLg. I gots big hands and they fit nicely.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Under my neoprenes (3.5mm) I wear about 3 layers of warmth and I stay toasty. I daresay I was probably more comfortable than the guys out there in the boats and toons.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You're way hardcore TD. I was there fishing from shore last Sunday and I had to leave cuz I got so cold. It was 5 degrees at 9 am and had warmed up to 7 degrees by 10:30. Very steamy in the morning, really pretty actually, just darn cold.
[signature]
That sure looks cold! Pat, I have those same gloves. They have worked great for me for many years! I see from your last pic (trudging back) , that the water level is up a bit. I fished DC a lot this year from my tube, mainly around the island, and had good success for SMB, with some LMB and rainbow thrown in, mainly on black or white woolly buggers. But I haven't fished it in a month. I'm a fly fisherman, so I generally don't go after 'em if they're deep. I can't wait until the water temp is back up > 60; I loves the smallies! - Daren
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The water level is rising. I was surprised to find that the island was again an island. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to do a lot more fly flingin' next year too...including some shooting head walleyes in June. That is when they are post spawn, actively feeding and often available in less than 15 feet of water on the flats. Hitting them at daybreak or after dark with big black or white zonkers can be fun. Pesky smallies sometimes get in the way...and the occasional largie at the north end.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Great report as always, TD. Maybe I'm getting blind but I can't find the Jordanelle report. How did you do there yesterday?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you were looking for a separate post under my name, you are not blind. I just added to the post put up by Bassrods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=292960;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO MY POST[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I wrote, there was ice forming at Rock Cliff, so I didn't launch there. I did launch at Hailstone and couldn't find any fish on sonar or at the end of my line. It was a pretty and calm day though.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
To h*** with the fish. Great pictures of timp. Just that view makes it worth while.
[signature]