Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Slammer
has anyone used this and what did you think?
[signature]
what is it ?
[signature]
It's a self hooking device that uses a 36-60" pole.
[url "http://members.aol.com/slamcoinc/slammertipups.html"]http://members.aol.com/slamcoinc/slammertipups.html[/url]
[signature]
I was going to get one last winter, but the ice never came.

they are made up near Lonehunters neck of the woods. You may want to ask him if he has one or seen one in action.

they were developed primairly for steel head on lake michigan where cold and Blistering winds is the every day norm.

I was thinking about it again this year, but will have to wait again, the ice we had is about all gone. "already"[pirate] I wanted to try deap lake "Trout Fishing"

I am sure you will want to use live or cut bait when setting this.
[signature]
I forgot to mention, they sell their own rods, I would imagine that they are equivilent to ugly sticks, any hollow rods I am sure would snap and break in time.
[signature]
[shocked] Picture this , sitting out in 0 degree weather , fish bites the hook , rod never gos up , cause the line is frozen in the ice ! Would work nice if it was nice out ! But check your state regs if you can use something to set the hook besides the person fishing ?

[signature]
the clasification is nothing more than a fancy tipup with a rod connected to it. if your not allowed to use tipups then you are probably not allowed to use this. On the internet it is allso clasified under tipups.

they seem to have an answer to the line freezing in the hole and that is an insulated mud flap that covers the hole keeping wind and snow out of it. Now as to weather it acturaly works you need to talk to some one who fishes out doors in extreem conditions.

When using tipups here in michigan we set them and may not touch them again for the whole day, meaning when it was time to go home we would have to use a spud to cut them out. Our tackle shops here actualy sell mini spuds, 24-36 inches in lenth just for pulling tipups.

Tipups have an advantage over the slamer in that the line spool is under water so it dosnt freeze untill it is pulled up.

I couldnt imagine any one needing a slammer in side the shanty or tent, especialy the space requirements involved in setting one up. That is unless you like to snooze while fishing, in that case I think a bell would be a better signifier..LOL
[signature]

Here an address for a home built one, if anyone is interested.
[signature]
I had to remove the link to the other forum. we have a rule handed down by the owners of this site that we cant allow links to other forums on our boards.

if some one wants that info they can send you a 'PM'

I did look at it, I might try making one my self, Lord knows I have the time. and I think all the materials.

the release was the part I did not understand untill I saw the pic. Now that I see how it functions I will try that release and maybe a different one. I am not sure how the one in the diagram would work in the wind.

thanks for letting us know about it.
[signature]
I sent an invitation to the spokes person of Slammer asking for his imput on this item.

I am impressed with the fish layed out in the photo you provided, that is about what I would be looking for at the bottom of the hole I was planning on fishing in last year and now slim hopes of fishing this year.

the kits being about 12 bucks may be the way to go.... but we will see if he shows up to clear any questions we may have.....
[signature]
Sorry about that I didn't know the rule. It's a good rule and if I had thought about it I would not have sent it. Thanks for the help.
[signature]
looking at the slammer up close I think I will go ahead and make or buy a setup kit.

I went to my rod pile, broke one while checking for one that would give me a near 90* bend.

it was one of the hollow verieties, Browning. I bearly got 30* before it snapped like a twig. no big loss, it's not one of my personal rods. just one I let the kids use.

my next selection was from zebco, a Rino 6 foot. good quality rod, lots of bend, one draw back, it is 72 inches insted of 60 inches. a bit to long for my licking.

I found me a solid fiberglass rod half in the junk pile. found me a rod handle in the pile, cut off the broken peice drilled it out and epoxied the fiberglass end in. I ended up with a 42 inch rod.

for a reel I am going with a Shimano TX Plus 120. I like the dial drag on the rear, and the quick battle drag makes setting the drag loose till I get to the rod. Have to figure out the point where the rod kick will set the hook yet allow for run.

with a 110 yard spool capasity I will have to be quick getting to the tipup.

My line selection is 6lb silver thread. If I hook in to a 15 pound brown I want to hold on to him for at least a little while....lol

I went to my wood pile, and found me a peice of 3/4" x 3" x 8' foot presser treated Ply wood left over from the house repair project this summer. The kit calles for a 1x3 and the true measurments of a 1x3 is 3/4" x 2 3/4".

I think the ply wood will be good if I use a quality out door acrilic paint or vanier on it....
[signature]
Thank You vary much for the quick responce to my email.

I am in the detroit area of michigan, still waiting for first ice, that makes steel head are a bit of a drive for me. the species I will be targeting will be Pike, Walleye, and big Brown Trout.

My question is will this tipup be able to hold a 6 inch live perch, shiner or chub with out setting off the slammer?

the rig I am planning on useing is a 2-3 foot leader atatched to a swivel snap with a 1/4 ounce slip egg sinker over top.
[signature]
one last question from me.

when you ship, do you ship via mail service or over ground fed ex - ups ect....
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Slammerman,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Dave and I have been discussing your slammer for some time now. Like Dave, I have been toying with the idea of either building one or getting the kit and using it. In my area, the Div. of Wildlife Resources just recently changed the regulations (starting in January 07) to allow an angler to fish with two poles on all bodies of water. For ice fishing that means jigging with one rod, while the other is left basically unattened (for me anyway). Since I don't really use (or like) the regular tip ups, the Slammer idea has a good deal of appeal, in that I would get to play the fish on a regular ice rod instead of the hand line method. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I am glad you decided to weigh in and explain some things here on the board. I have not seen one of your Slammers work in person yet as noone in this area has one. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Do you have a video to review online ? I've checked out the website with the photos, but I did not notice any video feeds there.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]P.S. If you need another/new field tester, I would gladly lend my services. [Smile][/size]
[signature]
[reply]the clasification is nothing more than a fancy tipup with a rod connected to it. if your not allowed to use tipups then you are probably not allowed to use this. On the internet it is allso clasified under tipups. [/reply]

The reason for Flagman's questioning is that here in Minnesota, any device, whether tipup, or otherwise, that automatically sets the hook is against the law to use. So the Slammer device is something we cannot use here in Minnesota. Otherwise I'd have gotten one to try out already.
[signature]
well, going over michigan fishing reg's, I found that this devise must have the operators name and address afixed to it...

this rule can be found on page 5 of the michigan fishing guide april 06 to march 08 eddition, biggining at the end of line three and it reads...

-"Tip-ups and similar devises used for icefishing must show the angler's name and address. All Lines must be under immediate control."

thought I would pass this on to you and any one else in michigan wanting to use this devise.
[signature]
We know you're really a rebel at heart [Tongue]
[signature]