Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alka Seltzer
Hello guys!

On the Utah board, something interesting about donuts came up. Someone said they put bits of Alka Seltzer INTO their tube. The fizzing sounds like a struggling crawfish. Hmmm.

How does that actually work? What does the Alka Seltzer react with inside the tube? Anybody have experience one way or the other with this technique?

Thanks, Senkonate

Tube Dude- My wife is going to be out of town most of May. I'm thinking of using the time to make a fishing trip to exotic places. Is Arizona, and the coastal waters good in early or late May? Could we hook up? Nate
[signature]
[cool]Come on down. May is usually wide open for just about all species. It is getting warm, but not HOT yet. Should be able to get you into about ten species within an hour of Phoenix.

Now, if you wanna do something serious, we'll load up the tubes and head for the Sea of Cortez...about 4 hours from home base. Think 200 fish days...with twenty or thirty species involved...fishing in bathwater warm water that is crystal clear. Average inshore fish is going to be under two pounds...but fights like 10. Potential for BIG fish, but the heavyweights know how to find the rocks and part company with you.

If you have the time and the inclination to hit Southern Cal, you can "hook up" with some of the regulars on this forum.

About the fizzy in the tube thing, they are referring to sticking a small piece of Alka Seltzer up into a tube jig. When the water hits the piece of tablet, it puts out bubbles and vibrations. I was shown an old time variation of that by an old guy many years ago. He wrapped a piece of Alka Seltzer tablet in a small piece of waxed paper...making up several before a fishing trip. When he found a spot that looked like it should hold a big bass, he first fished it with regular lures. If nothing came out to play, he would run the tail hook from a topwater plug through one end of the waxed papar, with the fizzy bit inside. He then lobbed it out and let it set. Within a few seconds, water would seep into the bubble generator and it would start pushing the lure around and making all kinds of fuss. Sometimes it was more than a finicky bigmouth could tolerate.

Putting Alkaseltzer in tube jigs has been going on for a few years. The problem is that you have to put it ina new, dry tube, or it will fizz all out before you can cast it into the water. Some guys make up a few tubes with seltzer bits in the upper end, and a small piece of cotton holding it in. Hooked on a weedless or Carolina rig, the tube starts acting up soon after it is introduced to water on the first cast. It's one of those "fancy schmancy" things that may do a better job of catching fishermen than catching fish.

Hit me with a PM or email and I will give you my address and phone numbers so we can make plans for when you come down. We might even meet up on Powell. A few of the guys from your part of the country are planning a May shindig and have invited me to play too. I already gave my acceptance, so it's a matter of getting a date set.

Man...I might have to take off work the whole month of May...but for a good cause. If only I can get my boss to agree.
[signature]