Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Utah Lake was once like
[size 2]I've noticed many of you folks like to fish Utah Lake. I'm not sure how many of you know this, but Utah Lake was once a great Bonneville Cutthroat fishery. Over-harvesting led to their extinction from Utah Lake at some time in the 1930s.

Some interesting facts and figures: [ul] [li]The first scientifically described Bonneville Cutthroat was captured from Utah Lake in the late 1850s. [li]Historic accounts of Bonneville Cutthroat in Utah Lake suggest fish may have reached 40 inches in length. Reportedly, some Bonneville Cutthroat taken from Utah Lake attained weights of over 25 pounds. [li]Mr. Peter Madsen, a commercial fisherman, said that one haul in 1864 weighed from 4290 to 4560 lbs compared to the same haul in 1872 which averaged approximately 540 lbs. In 1889, a seine haul of 120 lbs was considered good.[/li][/ul]

[/size]
[signature]
Man RNL. What a great post!! Could you imagine a cut that big? That would give a Muskie a run for its money. [Wink]
[signature]
[crazy] [green][size 2]What the heck! We have a native fish not in its native habitat? Call Peta!!! Call the National Guard! Somebody call Doug Miller!!! We need somebody to ante-up $50 million to save the "Lake Bonneville Cutthroat"(sorry suckers[Tongue]). We could have a Strawberry just off I-15! Where's Reese Stein when you need him!! Hey DWR, you have to poison Utah Lake now. Native species you know. Just think, huge cutthroats eatin' white bass. Where my deep fat fryer? Now remember boys, nuthin' tween 15-22".[/size][/green]

[green][size 2] There was no chubs hurt in this rant. AAAAHHHH cutthroat burgers....[/size][/green]

[green][size 2] [/size][/green]
[signature]
[size 4]Very good read!!![/size]
[signature]
Interesting facts Ripn'. Can you imagine landing a cutt that size? I think a cutt like that could eat that big ol couger! Thanks for the info.
[signature]
There is still a substrain of the Bonneville cut, called the Moon Lake Cutthroat, found only in Moon Lake Nevada and one stream in Utah. While they don't get as big as the Bonneville strain they can reach very large size. P.S. I know where the stream is and I ain't tellin.

IFG
For a much longer good read, check out the [url "http://www.rabbitbrush.com/nvtu/bonneville.html"]Bonneville Cutthroat[/url] article on the Nevada Trout Unlimited web page. There are some tidbits about the Bear Lake variety that I found particularly interesting.
[signature]
I did not know that thanks RNL.
[signature]