Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow day at Mud Creek
Frozenover and I headed up to Strawberry for our first ice fishing trip of the year.
With as hard as it was snowing in the valley when we left, we wondered if we could even make it up there.
The roads weren't as bad as we thought they might be.
We had debated about going to Scofield, we thought the roads might be a little better going to Strawberry.
We tried meal worms, night crawlers and minnows. We tried a few different colors of jigs and tails.
The only fish we caught were on minnow chunks with a white grub, right on the bottom.
I only caught two, 20 and 22, James caught 4, one 19 and three 21's.
We saw fish on the finders occasionally, but for most of the day, there wasn't any action.
It was a very slow day.
We made it to the lake at 7:00 am and left at 3:30 pm.
[signature]
Nice, beautiful fish! Even a slow day is a good day on the ice.
Did you walk in from the Mud Creek turn-off?
[signature]
Nice fish! Remember that old saying about a bad day fishing! Smile It's fun to just get out
[signature]
Thanks, it was fun to get out.
We have been waiting along time for some ice and time to get out.
[signature]
A friend and I hit Mud Creek today and iced 23 fish between the 2 of us, all fish were 18-21 1/2 with a few hogs snapping line at the hole very big bow but will find him next time. Slow compared to last Sunday's service, water was very dirty this week.
[signature]
Its been slow up there,maybe when the whole lake freezes it will pick up.My last time up there the fish would come right up to my bait (on the Vexilar) and swim away
[signature]
Late report.....

We also hit Mud Creek on Saturday. Widastick, my 11 yr old son and myself. We put in a long day. We got there a little before 7am and left at 9pm.[crazy] First ice trip to the Berry this year, so we thought we'd make it a full day. I'd agree 100% with Playas44 report. Slow fishing during daylight hours. Didn't keep real good track, but I'd say we caught maybe 5-6 fish while the sun was up. We marked fish throughout the day but it was spotty. Once the sun went down we hunkered down, turned on the lantern and heaters and set in for a little night fishing. We were the only ones on the ice after around 4:30-5:00pm when the last group on a snowmobile pulled out. The fish really started to come in..... I'd assume the light from the lantern was attracking them, but there was about an hour or so where we had 3-4 fish on the fish finder at a time and the action was intense! We again didn't keep real good track of how many we caught but I'd say that between 7 to 9pm we ended up with around 20-25 fish. All Cuts. Widastick and my son were efficient in hooking the majority of the fish..... I was swinging and missing [pirate] or hooking and long line releasing. Not the most productive day for the amount of time we spent up there but overall it was a good time! When we left, the ice was popping and it was COLD!
[signature]
Sounds like we should have stayed later.
We did one of those all nighters last year and plan on doing it again this season.
Were you the group that set up a tent on the ice?
I have wondered about setting a light on the top of the ice at night to see if that would bring the fish in.
[signature]
Yep.... that was us. We had a little Frabill shack and then a little dome tent that my brother in law cut a couple of holes in the bottom of. Any chance you guys were on channel 8 on your radios?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You need to resize that avatar pic. Maximum size is 150 pixels wide. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice picture, but too large.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes, we were on channel 8-0
We did hear some other traffic on there, but not much.
I thought maybe you were the ones with the bigger tent.
They had a snowmobile pulling a big wood box. It looked like they were staying the night.
[signature]
Tube Dude,

When I right click on the avatar, it shows 128 wide.
I tried a dozen times this morning to change the picture.
I could take the picture of the poontoon off, but each time I tried to put a new picture on, it would revert back to the poontoon.
After about a hour of fighting it, I gave up.
Which picture is showing up for you?
I tried one from Strawberry saturday.
[signature]
Tude Dude,

Also, thanks for the heads up on the batteries at NPS.
I went in there last week and picked up two for a total of $3.61.
Much better than the $20 that I paid at Sportsmans.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you right click on your avatar pic, in one of your posts, and then click on "Properties", it shows that your avatar pic is 340 by 240 pixels.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Your Strawberry picture shows up for anyone who does not have their settings to exclude avatar pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know if you have trouble resizing it. I can redo it and send it back to you as a Jpeg by email if you PM me your email address.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whenever you make a change to your personal profile, be sure to scroll all the way down to the bottom to click on the "make changes" button.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you got in on the battery thing. Makes it nice to have several batteries for a multiday trip.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah.... those were the guys that left around 4:30 or 5pm. It looked like they had a pretty sweet set up with the little stove pipe coming out of the roof. Looked pretty warm.
[signature]
Merry Christmas Everyone. Cdragon you made it sound like you where not catching fish. The problem was you where using that dang green bomber. That I told you not to use. Just kiddin you did as well as any one. However I think between the two of us we put a whole in the top of our tent by missing so many fish and swinging for the moon. Next time we go I am burring the old fishing tent so I can buy a new one. I wonder what happend to the ice up there with the strong winds that were blowing when we left. It was blowing really hard and could have taken some of the ice down. Thanks for the fun day Cdragon. Your boy has out fished you 2 for 2 on the year. laters
[signature]
Yeah..... the boy is becoming quite the fisherman. You've got to let them outfish you a few times a year to keep them interested![Wink]
[signature]
Well last weekend was fun. when should we go again? I got the Marcum back today. I will mess with it and let you know what I think about the TC upgrade.
[signature]
The pictures came through great. Nice fish, thanks for the report.
[signature]