Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican 12/15-16/06
Billy and I fished Pelican yesterday and today. First off the ice conditions. West side 5 to 6 inches of clear ice. East side. at the most 2 & 33/64 inches of clear ice. We fished both sides, but spent most of the time fishing the east side, because the water is clearer over there and the catching is faster. The water is rising, so the shoreline has thin ice, but fortunately the water is not deep near the shoreline. Coming in Friday afternoon I did a double klutz, when the ice gave away under me close to shore, and I now have a large shiner. Billy did two triple klutzs out on the main lake and he probably has some dandy bruises where the sun doesn't shine. Catching was just short of amazing. Today we put well over 100 fish on the ice. We probably caught about 1/2 dozen largemouth bass (largest 14 inches) and the rest were bluegills (largest 11 inches). It was great fun catching something other than trout, and the large bluegill in Pelican put up a dandy fight. Best rig was TudeDude's bait bugs tipped with a meal worm, a wax worm, or with a crawler. The colors of white, chartreuse, black with shades of other colors, and yellow (all with contrasting colored heads) all worked great. Fished in various depths, but 9 feet seemed to be the best depth. They would hit a dead fished rod, but were more attracted to an actively jigged rod. Great fun fishing with two rods. We also tried Bullock for a couple hours, and despite drilling lots of holes, I caught the only fish that I saw on the fish finder (a fat rainbow). We fished Pelican, Bullock and another small reservoir (caught lots of small trout) and we never saw another angler.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, Kent. Sounded like great fun, catching bluegills and largemouth. Makes me wish Utah Lake would be productive again for the panfish. I haven't caught a green sunfish at Utah Lake for the longest time. Did you forget your cleats? Worked great for me at Huntington at first ice, now I won't go icefishing without them. Hope the hurting goes away fast!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Thanks for the great report. I bet that triple was fun! I think I might have to consider making the long trip out to Pelican this ice season.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Yea, Kent, you're my hero!!
I'm glad Pelican just made the 2 1/2" category on the east side.[Tongue]
Sorry about your shiner and his injury; I have this fear of falling on the ice and shattering my kneecaps! OWWW!!
I'd sure like to get some warm water fishies through the ice. Maybe Mantua holds some promise; it's a loooonnnngggg drive to Pelican.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry I missed the fishing, but you are welcome to all of the thin ice and ice skating. After going through that thin ice around the shore last year, I think I can do without that kind of fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like the fish are in their usual iceup cooperative mood. Hope I can get over there soon my own self. Got some new bugs to show those fishies.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. [Smile]
[signature]
Nice report Kent. I was wondering where you guys were going to venture out this weekend. Glad the fish were cooperative for you.
[signature]
Great job guys!
[Don't you get "bonus points" for bruises in the contest?]
[signature]
I had my cleats and wore them some of the time, but the ones I have aren't as comfortable as they could be, so I need to purchase some that fit a little better.
[signature]
The trip was great, besides a few bruies that I deserved because I was goofing off at the time. The fishing was so hot at times that we couldn't take the gills off fast enough. I do need the invest in some cleats.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
so just out of curiosity.. how far away is pelican from the salt lake valley?
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip Kent, too bad you had to take a fall in the process. Its good to hear the catching was hot after that long drive. Was there any ice on Starvation?
[signature]
It's about a four-hour drive from SLC.
[signature]
From Highway 40 we could not see any ice on Starvation.
[signature]
I posted this on the "other forum? so I'd best not add - don't raly undertadnd why the difference in response, some more here and some more there, but whatever: I like em both!!!!

[size 2]Great report, thanks, makes me jealous though. Wish it was closer and I could get my back fixed. [Image: icon_cry.gif]
Leaky[/size]

Way to go Kent and Billy! Nice catch! If you hold that big fat LMB over your eye for a couple hours the swellling and bruising will go away a lot faster.
[signature]
Kent,
Nice fish. I just wish it was not so far from us north guys.

IFG
It is a long trip for me also, but doing an overnighter (stayed at Super 8 Motel ) made it work out much better. I have done the "meet at 4:00 AM and fish Pelican all day and drive home that night" before, and that is one tough trip that way.
[signature]
Thanks for the report,that over night thing sounds like the way to go.Guys have suggested that "leave at 4AM,come back the same day(night)" and I was never to interested.
[signature]
Cool report Kent.
[signature]