Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Cat #4 flotation
Having spent a lot of time fishing from my Fish Cat 4s, I was always curious if the foam seat bottom and back would float my near 220 weight without the bladders.
Well this fall, I finally took the time to check it out. I and my grandson picked a spot where we could touch bottom and unscrewd the air valves on both our tubes.
He had no problems at all. He just sat there and enjoyed the show I was putting on. [crazy] With my weight there was no way to keep my balance. The juncture of the seat and back had a tendency to point downward to equalize the bouyancy. That forced my upper body backward ,and left me floundering.[blush] I don't have a clue what joke my grandson happened to remember, but he started laughing hystericaly.[sly] I finally rolled off that thing and got my footing with only a bit of water in my waders.
So I can say that there is plenty of flotation to hold me up, but don't even try to sit without bladders. [mad] I'll try to post an attached picture of my grandson sitting on his deflated Fish Cat.The camera used wasn't working right and has been replaced. Mike
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a good experiment. It is always nice to have the assurance that if something extraordinary happened, and both air chambers suddenly deflated, that you would still have some floatation. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that is one of the positives I point out about the FC4 to potential buyers. The two air chambers do provide an extra measure of safety if one springs a leak. The good news is that a leak is usually slow enough to allow you to make it to shore without having to walk.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for sharing...I think.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Please, don't misunderstand the intent of this insane little experiment. It was only done out of a long standing curiousity.
I have never had even the slightest reason to doubt the dependability of the tube bladders or the covers. I have encountered large waves on windy lakes, been hung up on the tips of underwater trees, and many other situations that have unintentionally tested the tubes ability to withstand abuse. For two air chambers to suddenly deflate would certainly be a worthy subject for the making of a late night movie.
My hat is off to the people that designed these great Fish Cats. They have proven the test of time.
I do agree that the leaks are always small. I managed to get a jig hook into one bladder once. I finally had to go to shore with one bladder a bit low an hour later. A few puffs of air by mouth and it was normal. I had another trip planned for the next day, so when I inflated it, I just left the hand pump hose on the tube. As it got a bit low, I'd just give it a puff of air, and fixed the leak later when it was convenient.
The only bladder that has sent me to shore in a hurry is the one in my body. [shocked] Mike
[signature]
I enjoy my FC4 and dread the day that both bladders would go.

I recently had 1 of them puncture on me as well as my waders. Thank God for Aqua-Seal. I was back on the water the next day.[cool]
[signature]