Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Scout troop ice fish Mantua?
We are planning to take our Scouts ice fishing at Mantua on Sat. Jan 6th. Any one out there Sadistic or crazy enough to want to help me teach a bunch of Scouts how to ice fish? I have one hand-powered ice auger and hope to find a motorized version to help us out. Tube Dude's jigs will get handed out for the boys to try. I hope we can find a few fishies for them to catch. Any takers? Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]How many scouts and what time? My wife and I have been working with the DWR youth fishing program and we can both participate if you need help.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a 10" power auger and have a pretty good handle on how the lake is fishing now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I might even be able to scare up some more of those Tube Dude jigs.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will be out of town that weekend but I have a powered auger and a bunch of poles you can borrow if you need them... I also have a sonar and some tackle I would be more than willing to lend to you guys...
[signature]
TD- I am guessing we will have about 7 to 8 boys ages 12-16, and 3 or 4 leaders. We plan to sleep overnight somewhere in the Mantua area (hopefully in a heated lodge and not in tents). We will need to feed them breakfast before we head to the ice, so I am guessing the time to be around 9:00 am. I still don't know what part of the lake will be best to try. I would be pleased to have you and the Misses teach us your tricks. If you are coming I will bring along some salsa and chips for us to munch on. I will contact you later in the week to work out more details. Thanks, Acey
[signature]
Read your post last night, but I had never fished Mantua before so I got up this morning and drove up and gave it a try. Got there about 9:00. Ice was 5 inches thick. Fished in 5-20 feet of water. I caught perch, trout, bass, and blue gill! It was a blast! Four species in one day! It was a blast! Caught fish throughout the day, but had to move around to stay on fish.

I'm planning on going up again on Saturday. Tubedude has probably forgotten more than I ever knew or will know about fishing, but I can help with tangles, bait... I have some extra poles, sonar, and gear. If you need some more help, let me know.

Chester
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They have a campground up there, but you will probably have to look in Brigham City for a motel if you wanna stay warm. Weather forecast keeps changing, but it looks like Saturday will be okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like a "manageable" group. Do the scouts all have their own gear or will they need some help? Also, do you have waxworms and/or crawlers for everybody. If you have some perch meat, bring that or plan to "disect" a couple. That can work well too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good meeting place will be the restroom parking lot near the ramp.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It will be very important for the boys to have GOOD WARM BOOTS!!! If they use boots that can get their feet wet, they will have a tough time fishing. Look at their clothing before you go to see that they are well equipped. Some boots have linners that you can remove. These boots can have plastic bags inserted in them to help keep them dry.
[signature]
I talked to several boys at Scouts tonight and they had never gone ice fishing before. I think most of them have spinning rods they will bring. I have several ice fishing poles, so plan to share them. We will probably rough it in someone's barn or do the tents (brrrrrrr. They have a Klondike Derby scheduled in February too. Am I stupid or what? Many years ago on a winter campout I was lying in my sleeping bag inside a tent with the other scout leaders and the assistant scoutmaster said "Well I can check off another box". I thought about that and then asked him what happened when he got all the boxes checked off. He said "You die, and then go to Heaven." So maybe there will still be hope for me.)
If you have a few ice rods bring them along. They will probably be easier to use. I don't have any fresh perch meat, so hopefully we can catch a few for bait. I can buy worms locally and bring. The plans sound good. Thanks, Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My ice rods are all custom built and I don't especially want to have a bunch of scouts playing with them. But, If they have just a plain old spinning rod, that will work. Lots of folks still fish with regular poles...me included.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will bring a bunch of fresh perch meat, cut into strips. That is easier than trying to fillet the little buggers on the ice. A few waxies and some crawlers and we should have everything we need.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck on the "arctic campout". Been there, done that, don't care to go back. Some things in life are okay to "experience" once. No need go overdo a good thing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds good! I have 8 ice poles rigged and ready to go. I have two without reels that I will try to get fixed up before Sat. I also have meal worms that I can bring. Looking forward to it!

Chester
[signature]
I just might wooose out on the "artic experience" and take the truck with the camper on the back. It does have a propane furnace and then I can use the portapotty inside it at night. Toilets there might be few and far in between. As many Scout leaders tell the boys about winter campouts, "I have already earned my camping merit badge." When you are out on the ice and nature calls do you hoof it back to the shore or use a "portable devise"? There may not be much privacy. Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Calls of nature are....well, natural. There are nice heated restrooms on the shore, near where we get on the ice. Everyone should make a "preventative download" before hitting the ice. But, if someone feels the need later, we shouldn't be too far for them to return to the facilities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is why whenever you are taking spouses, kids or newbies out on the water or ice you should plan to stay close to the "basic comforts". Us HOV'S (hardened old veterans) learn to either hold it until we explode or let 'er rip right out on the ice. In some ice fishing circles that is known as "GPS-ing" your fishing spot on the ice. Easier to get away with when you are way off by yourself or with another HOV who is discreet enough to not watch or hoot at you while you are taking care of business.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No explanations or apologies needed for wimping out in the camper. Us HOVs also gain wisdom with experience. Some things you only need to experience once. Then wisdom kicks in and we are smart enough not to get talked into THAT again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD- You are a "real gem". You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge, intelligence, and ability to make me laugh. When I grow up I want to be a HOV like you. I admit I have used the GPS method as discreetly as possible when out on the ice. I usually take along a bottle of Mtn. Dew on fishing trips. There have been several times when the bottle has been multifunctional and called into use as a "whizzer". Just gotta be careful with the loaded thing afterwards if you know what I mean.
You convinced me to take the camper. Besides, I just might need it to warm up some poor frost bitten Scout with hypotermia. (Hope not). I usually take a propane heater out onto the ice so they can get their hands thawed out with that.
How many bottles of salsa can you consume? I will see how many bottles I can smuggle out safely. Acey
[signature]
are you guys still needing help with the scouts.. my plans changed and I may be able to help...
[signature]
Hi. Right now I am planning on TubeDude and Chester to help us out. If you still want to come meet us around 9 am at the restrooms. We will probably fish close to the dam. I don't want any Scouts going through the ice at the inlet. Their mothers wouldn't think too highly of us leaders. Acey
[signature]
I will meet you there at 9... are you guys taking radios, if so what channel will you be on??
[signature]
I should have my radios. Channel 12. Think I'll head up a little earlier and do some looking around.

Chester
[signature]
what time, maybe i will meet you up there for some prefishing???
[signature]
TD- Boy were you smart in staying home today. We got on the ice about 9:30. It was so cold we had a late start. One of our leaders slept in his truck. He started the engine at 5 am and it was -4 degrees then. The wind kept blowing out the flame on the propane stove. I took the eggs inside our leader's sheep camp trailer to cook. I found out that the new valves on the propane bottles don't work well when mounted sideways in my camper. I couldn't get any real heat out of the furnace, so we hunkered down in sleeping bags and blankets and did okay. Most of the guys slept in the sheep camp and had a wood stove keeping them warm.
We finally met up with Chester and ajensen83. They had caught several trout, bass, and perch by the time we got there. I had several light hits and missed them both. (skunked again at Mantua) When the wind kicked up at Noon we had had enough and said goodbye to Mark, his son, son's friend, and Aaron.
We opened a quart bottle of salsa and two bags of chips before noon. I had plenty more I was going to sent home with you, but it is going to have to wait until another time now. Too bad.
Thanks Mark and Aaron for your help today. I enjoyed learning more about the Vexilars and meeting you. Acey
[signature]
Your certainly welcome. It was nice to meet you and try to get the boys on some fish. It just wasn't in the cards today. Started out great with four fish on the first four drops, but the action was short lived. The bite died fast and never came back. We fished for an hour after you left, but no action to speak of at all. Thanks for the chips and salsa. Made for a great lunch. Was nice to fish with you, Aaron, and the rest of the crew!

Chester
[signature]