Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
180 Fish lake Buck
Here are some pics of a buck that scored at around 180 points. The buck was found in a bone yard in the Fish lake national forest. It has a beautiful typical 5x5 frame, a true trophy in anyones eyes.
Enjoy!
[signature]
What a great rack. Would be nice to find something like that still wandering around.
[signature]
I agree with TKB, nice deer, sure would like to have a change to take one like that during hunting season. When you say Bone yard do you mean a place where someone was dumping animals? Thanks for sharing. WH2
[signature]
When I say a "boneyard", I mean a place that had a really bad winter that killed of a whole herd of deer. I was not there at the time , my freind found the buck and the boneyard. He actually broke the antlers right off of the head, then went back later to get the skull. I repaired it for him.
[signature]
I've found a few winter killed deer before but never a whole herd, do they all die near each other or are they all spread out? Nice repair job on the antlers, can you repair broken tips also? WH2
[signature]
Is that legal? I thought it is only lawful to possess naturally shed antlers or anters from a deer that you tagged, and have the tag for.

I am pretty sure you were breaking the letter of the law there, but obviously not the spirit of it.
[signature]
He said it was one of his friends that did it...
[signature]
Catman,
Maybe you should re-read my post. My friend was the one that found it, he had no idea what he was doing, he has never hunted in his life. He just figured it was pretty cool to find a big dead buck so he brought it home. I too thought that it was pretty cool so I repaired it for him.What would like me to do? Do you want me to call the police and turn him in or have you already done that? He found a dead deer skull not a human skull so chill out.
[signature]
Not at all. No worries, man, and no hard feelings. I don't think you should do anything. I was merely pointing out, in case you or others reading this thread weren't aware, that it is illegal to harvest or possess antlers that were not naturally shed or harvested with a legitimate tag. As I stated above, I don't think you or him did anything willfully or malicious, nor was the law written to stop people from collecting already dead animals. It's just that one could potentially be cited for possessing antlers such as these because the DWR cannot tell whether it was poached or collected already dead, so the law must apply equally to both of those cases.

Sorry if I came across as condescending, I was just sharing a little bit of helpful info. for you and your friend. It would have been cool to be the one to discover such a find.
[signature]
Thanks for the info.
[signature]
I think what he's getting at is if you don't know the law and follow it, please don't post this info to everyone in Utah..... the DWR regularly views this and other sites to make sure people don't break the law. Moral of the story, whether he was naive or not, is it a good idea to post pictures of illegal acts? ....Probably not.
[signature]
Nice buck. Unique characteristics. I found a few winter killed bucks a couple years ago out in the desert. Wish I could have brought them home. It's a waste to leave a find like that behind. Stupid law, IMHO.
[signature]
I do know the law Michael. My friend found the buck and he had know idea what he was doing. MY FRIEND! NOT ME! So how have I broken the law? I agree that he probably should have taken it down to the DWR, but can you imagine if every person that found a dead deer took it down to the DWR. You would be able to build the tower of Babel with deer bones!
I'm truly sorry to all those that have read this post and thought of me as a criminal. If anyone feels that they need to report me for breaking the dead buck law please do. The DWR can be reached at the folling number (801) 476-2740 (northern region) if you don't live in the northern region, let me know and I'll get you the number for your area. Thank you and have a nice day!
[signature]
Ah, Michael Bolton comes out of the wood work to serenade us with his stupid BS.

His friend did it... not him. There's no reason to crucify Hookjaw. [blush]
[signature]
No offense hookjaw, but I just wonder why so many people come on here posting questionable things and wonder why people like my homie Cat Man call them on it. Did you break the law? Don't know, you didn't collect it, so I doubt you did besides maybe possesing illegally harvested antlers. Do I really care? Nope, don't really care, but just voicing my opinion as to why people will not always pat you on the back and say great job when it is a subject in the grey area.
Flycasting, great to hear from you, tell your family hi for me. It was good going fishing with you guys.
[signature]
Ohhh so now the buck was Illegally harvested? Man, you know more about this buck than I do! Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I said my friend found a winter killed buck not a buck poached by Mr. Winter. The buck died of natural causes.
If you really don't care about this then why come on here and act like a hot shot? My intentions were not to have people congratulate me or tell me I did a good job. I simply wanted to share some cool pictures of a great buck. Did I have to give all the details? No, I didn't. But I thought we would all be mature enough to understand. Apparently I was wrong.
[signature]
Was it illegal to pick up the antlers? Yes
Is it illegal for you to have them? Yes
Will that buck net 180? NEVER

Rut
[signature]
Sigh....

He did NOT pick up the antlers. He does NOT possess the antlers.

And have you measured them? If not, how about you keep your snide, provoking comments to yourself. Thanks... [unimpressed]
[signature]
"[size 1]Ohhh so now the buck was Illegally harvested?"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Don't know, based on the pictures it could go either way based on the info we have. Just to clear any doubt up for you, the DWR's job is to protect wildlife, when they see someone holding a skull with antlers attached without info on a tag or license, they probably don't just assume your friend found them. I believe your word, but you might want to reconsider posting something like that again in a wildlife forum. And as Rutt said, Yes it is illegal to posess them.......I'd probably let it end at that, but then again what region did he find it? I'd love to have a nice limited entry tag there.[/size]
[signature]
I SHOULD HAVE KEPT THIS INFORMATION TO MYSELF. I AM SORRY. PLEASE QUIT ATTACKING ME. I MADE A MISTAKE POSTING THIS AND I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON. PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE.
[signature]