Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Heat--Fish Not Bitting what do you do?
We all know that summer heat especially really hot weather increases the water temperature. The fish can become sluggish and sometimes will stop biting all together.

What do some of you do when this happens? Change of flies, size of flies, different retrieve, fish earlier or do we stop fishing all together?

This coming year I plan on taking a trip to the White Clouds during this time and stop fishing all together Smile
[signature]
Since this will be my first summer back here in Idaho, I am not sure what I will do. I rarely have been able, once on the water, to stop fishing altogether. I imagine I will go deeper, look for spots with shade, and if worse comes to worse, head north for higher elevations.

When I lived in eastern Idaho, we used to fish at night when there was enough moonlight, in order to avoid the daily sun and slow fishing. I hooked fewer fish, but did hook some big browns on floating rapalas to the moonlight. Not sure how that will work here on the Snake and in CJ STrike and Brownlee or Lake Lowell.
[signature]
Good to get back to talking about fishing. It is better to just let some threads fade away and die.

I don't fish as much once it starts to heat up during the summer. I spend most of my spare time scouting for deer. When I do fish during the heat of the summer it is usually mountain streams, mountain lakes or tail waters that stay cool. If I do fish a lake with warmer water during the summer I find that the first hour of daylight is not worth passing up so I can get some extra sleep.
[signature]
Drink Beer.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]Fish Rivers![cool][/size][/green][/font] or very DEEP lakes like Strawberry LOL[Wink]
[signature]
Fish early morn and drink lots of beer....[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you drink a lot of beer, what is early morning?[cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
5-AM You have seen me do it eithr fishing or drinking But usually both. and I don't even nap at lunch. But MY udder brother does nap.
[signature]
We always fish early light and stay out as long as possible until the heat stroke kicks in, which maybe around noon to 2pm. Then call it a day and go get rehydrated with beer. Repeat process all over again next day.
[signature]
I think when those fish hit those summer time Dull Drums I'm hitting the rivers and high mountain lakes. I might even get really industrious and get some fat off these old bones and get after some back packing. Maybe Smile I may get a horse large enough to pack me and the gear Smile))

I might even come down to Utah and fish the Berry! Lets see--hummm there is Yellowstone Park Rivers, Hebgen, Madison and hummmm ok probably not Smile Ah I still might come down.

I ought to do something different rather than fry in the sun with little results. We still catch fish but wonder if we are doing more damage to the fish. The fish have to be stressed with the water being this warm.

laters
[signature]
I just may have to fish at 3am instead of 5am Smile or fish later on into the night. I may have to find some Brownies to fish at night somewhere. Might just get the kids hiking in the woods and fish the little creeks. It's not like a hard charging hybrid but the kids will have fun.
[signature]
Big problem we were seeing on the private lakes at the Lodge. So we ended up taking the clients to the rivers as much as possible.
Real Sad to see a 24" trout keep rolling over after release.
The Uinta's here is a great get out of the heat solution. Not to mention getting into Brookies, Tiger Trouts, Albino's, Grayling, goldens and rainbows. Not record size, but a rush non the less, specially on a 2wt.
[signature]
We didnt really see any fish upside down but we didnt fish as long. Sheridan Lake stays cooler longer so we did most of the trips there. IP Res is back on the list this year and we plan on doing alot of R&D on this water. I really think during this period of time I'm going to play a little more or be a little more diverse. I really want to do more high mountian lakes this year.
[signature]
From Rexburg you should be able to hit Island Park creeks/reservoirs without much effort. It still gets pretty warm, but a favorite of mine used to be the north fork below the dam, and above the first bridge, and also in the wide, slow section that flows into the backwater of the chester dam. Right below Chester dam is not bad, either, or if you hike up the roadless side, where Sand Creek dumps in. Like I said, still a little warm, but the water stays pretty cool.
[signature]
Hi ya bdn06

Appreciate the imput. I'm not sure when they are going to work on the chester dam. They are talking about raising the dam 3' for a Hydro Project. So I'm not sure how much of the fishing will be affected by this project. I actually may float that lower section of the North Fork. I'm trying to tie in my passion of fishing with getting my fat body slimmed down. Tis the reason for the possible back packing trips. Lots of possibilities but little time to do them all.

How far up do you have to hike to were the creek dumps in? If you want to share with the group tis fine or PM me is cool too. Up to you.

thanks again
[signature]
I know but Henrys is soooooooo funnnnnnnnn. Sometimes I've headed a different direction only to change my mind and end up at Henrys. This summer I am going to hit some different lakes and rivers to mix up when those summer dull drums hit Henrys and the lower lakes.

[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 5]Remember, we got the new truck and trailer......[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
See! It draws people to it like it's possessed Smile Does that mean you and hubby are spending time this summer?
[signature]
You got that right!
[signature]
Hey guys, sorry for hittin a nerve on my very first post![cool] Here in CO the lakes never get that warm, but I hike to high alpine lakes for exercise and adventure and large cutty's.
[Image: 523.jpg]
[Image: 522.jpg]
[Image: 90.jpg]
[Image: Picture11.jpg]
[Image: Picture10.jpg]
[signature]