Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck today with a little jewlery
[cool][cool] shot my first banded duck today. I have only been hunting ducks for about 30 yrs. It was green wing teal that was banded in the northwest territory on august 26 1999. 4 of us went out today and all limited in a few hours, 1 goldeneye, 2 shovlers, 1 hen greenwing and 24 drake greenwings. man was it cold my nephews wet glove actuly froze to the pump on his shotgun.
[signature]
Nice job! How long to ducks live?!!? I'll bet that duck had dodged a few pellats in his day. [Tongue]
[signature]
Nice job on the band! I've killed probably close to a hundred GWT this year and no band whats up with that? I like to see a piture of the banded teal! it must be a real small band?
[signature]
Sweet work on the bling. I've yet to get any bird with jewelry...one day you little beasts...one day.
[signature]
That's only the 2nd band I have heard of this year.... Hookjaw got a banded goose in October. [Smile]
[signature]
I have never got jewlery either,I am going on 26 yrs,I dont shot to many teal though mostly mallards,pinies and gadwalls.I am constently watching out for the bands though,I usally get a pretty good look when they are circling the decoys.
great job on the band.
good hunting,FNF[cool]
[signature]
I should have taken a pick with the band on the duck but I didn't think about it. Here is a pic of it on my lanyard. It is realy small.
[signature]
Damn!! that is small! but good job are you going to get him mounted?
[signature]
Very small! I shot a hen mallard, hen redhead and 2 geese with bands in 15 years. The geese were 1 year apart and 119 #'s off one another.
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040][Smile]Small is definitely better than none. Great work on the band, hopefully one of these days I will get one.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
okay to those of us who dont know...what do the bands mean? is it a cash prize for killin or what?? what goes with the bands?
[signature]
Bands are used by US fish and wildlife service to track migrating birds.
The odds of getting a banded duck are very very slim. So I guess It is a trophy of sorts. I will get a certificate in the mail with more information on this bird.
[signature]
SAH WHEET! they send you a lil award an all? man thats another reason I want to learn how to go web foot wailing. that and I love to eat duck. and I think my dog (bl. lab) wants to hunt em down too. I gotta go get that benelli I been watching at sportsmans. That is really cool with the bands man. great shot, congrats.
[signature]
Great job, I have never shot a banded duck. However, I have shot a lot of geese that were banded; including one that had a neck band. I shot one goose that had a band, got the return info. that said it was at least 15 years old! At the time, I didn't know geese lived that long.
[signature]