Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallies in Strawberry
I was just checking out the new Hotspot map on the DWR website and I noticed that Smallmouth Bass are a possible catch in Strawberry. Is that true? I have never heard of this before in my life, is it a possible mistake on the web page? Here is the link, see for yourself.

Strawberry
Rating: Hot

Forecast: Ice fishing is now underway! Caution should always be used, as many areas have just recently frozen over. Some bays currently have 8-10" of ice, while much of the main body has 4-5". There have been numerous reports of excellent fishing from around the reservoir. As is typical, the best success is reported from those who get away from the crowds, and are willing to move around to find the fish. Typical ice fishing rigs, such as jigs or lures tipped with some type of bait, are working well.
Details [ul] [li]Location: North Central Utah [li]Directions: 23 miles southeast of Heber City, Utah on Hwy. 40 [li]Type: Fishing [li]Size: 17,120 acres Maximum [li]Elevation: 7602 [li]Hours:No restrictions [li]Likely catch: Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout [li]Possible catch: Kokanee Salmon, Smallmouth Bass [li]Regulations: 4 fish limit, only 2 of which may be cutthroat under 15", and only one cutthroat may be over 22". All cutthroat from 15-22" must be released. [li]Site amenities: Boat Launching Facilities (4 ramps), Marina Stores, Restaurants, Campgrounds, Sanitary Dump Stations, Forest Service Visitor Center, Strawberry River Fish Trap and Egg Collection Station [li]Handicap access: Haws Point Handicapped Access [li]Site description: Strawberry Reservoir lies in an open mountain valley with mixed conifer and aspen forests on the upper slopes. The reservoir contains four major fishing zones including the Strawberry Basin, Meadows Basin, the Narrows, and Soldier Creek Basin. Strawberry Valley provides a variety of fishing opportunities from catch and release fishing in the tributaries to trophy cutthroat and rainbow fishing on the reservoir. Most of the fishing pressure and catch occurs from boats. Shoreline fishing is best during the cooler seasons of spring and fall. [/li][/ul]
[Image: Strawberry%20CTBL1.JPG]
Return to the [url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/hotspots/index.php"]fishing forecast map[/url]
Visit the [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/"]Wildlife discussion forums[/url]
[signature]
I've never heard of it. I think it's got to be a mistake.
[signature]
It is correct! Someone decided that strawberry needed some smallies so they put them in there. I am not sure how prolific they are yet but it has been confirmed. Same with East Canyon, but those smallies are very prolific and getting BIG! The trout are getting bigger and fatter with the smallie fry to fill their gullets.[cool]
[signature]
It's Sad, but true... I have even seen some photos. [unsure]
[signature]
Flycastin provided this report off of another site. Here are the pics to prove it, Thanks Flycastin! Too bad those guys didn't keep that small mouth.

[url "http://freeformfishing.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=4524#4524"][Image: icon_minipost.gif][/url]Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:08 pm Post subject: Hard Baits @ Strawberry Reservoir - 10/21 (Surprise Catch) [url "http://freeformfishing.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=quote&p=4524"][Image: icon_quote.gif][/url]
Fished Strawberry with bassrods yesterday.

We launched around noon and started our way out and ran in to tomegun and one of his buddies and as we pulled up tomegun hooked up with a nice 19-20 inch cutt. After landing and measuring he opened his livewell and pulled this monster out that his non-boater caught. I think he sayed it went 24 inches, not sure but it was THICK. Tomegun shared his successful baits with us and we both tied on then went to the narrows to start what turned out to be one of the best trouting days we have had all year. (only my second trip just for trout this year) [Image: icon_twisted.gif] In the narrows we hooked up with a few here and there, but what caught our attention was this mystery fish that when I reeled it in thought eighter it was a HUGE rainbow or a HUGE chub. We were both happy with the catch, a nice 16 inch smallmouth, which would go around 3 pounds and thick and healthy.

[Image: normal_berry-bass.jpg]

We tried to pull other fish off this rocky spot in the narrows but couldn't mark a fish or buy another bite so we pulled up the trolling motor and headed to the ladders to see what we could find. After searching for fish on the sonar and dragging some plastics that worked before we found the fish just weren't responding like they were a month earlier so we took out our Luckycraft Pointer 78s again and started casting towards shore into 3-4 feet of water. We both immediately started doubling up as we would come across schools of cutts. The average size was 20 inches long fish with some 22+'s in the mix. What a day! All were released to swim another day, including that nice smallmouth. Here are the pics we took of some of the fish, we got tired of pulling out the camera every fish because it was so damn cold, and those slimers stink up your fingers and everything you touch. [Image: icon_smile.gif]

They are in there, but according to Tomegun, they will never survive![Tongue]
[signature]
Smallies and trout coexist nicely. So, ssssssssssssssssssshush. There is not enough to get a population started.

[signature]
Wow. Looks like I'll be spending some more time at Strawberry.
[signature]
Smallmouth have been documented in Strawberry numerous times over the past 10-15 years; however, despite numerous attempts by well-meaning bucketheads, they have never been successfull at establishing a population. After the smallmouth spawn and reproduce, the young of the year do not get large enough to make it through the winter...so, as a general rule, the only smallmouth ever found in Strawberry are the large fish that have been moved.
[signature]
I am curious. Just what is the punishment if one is caught moving fish from place to place? Is it more if one is actually caught putting in, say, smallmouth into Strawberry, versus, moving trout into a private backyard pond? Maybe I am just lack the aptitude for crime, but I have a hard enough time catching fish, much less catching them and then keeping them alive long enought to put them somewhere else. Oh well, guess I will have to live with that.
[signature]