Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to go???
Does anyone have any suggestions on whats hot right now, I dont care what we catch. I am going to be taking some friends that have never been ice fishing and wanted them to have a good experience, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks[Wink]
[signature]
Safe ice and what seems to have been the most consistent ice fishing all year long has to be lost creek. One drawback is the small fish size. 8 - 12 inch trout seem to be the size. Pineview might get you some perch or even a crappie or two. I know its a drive for me, but the fuzzy fisher has been killing them at electric lake all year. Too bad its on the wrong end of the state for me. If you decide to go down there, send old fuzzy fisher a p.m. hes a good guy and will help you out. Theres a bunch of us headed down to fish lake for the weekend, its another far drive, but we will post up a report when we get back. I hope you get into them.
[signature]
My son and I have had a blast at Rockport the last few weekends. Fair to good fishing, lunch at the Spring Chicken Inn in Wanship, then more fishing in the PM if we haven't had enough fishing. Echo, just down the road is fun and fast for perch too.
good luck!
[signature]
Hey Chester, good to have you posting on the board and thanks for the report. We haven't heard many reports from Rockport this year, what were you catching and how were you fishing for them? Thanks for the report, WH2
[signature]
Rockport - We have had fair to good success. Not as good as most of the postings on here, but we like it because it is not too far away. Bite stops around noon on most days. We usually catch a few perch(usually 6"-10",2 that were 12") and a few rainbow trout(majority 6"-12" with a few larger). We fish just off the bottom using small jigs or ice flies tipped with meal worms or nite crawler. Then, as I mentioned before, its lunch at Spring Chicken Inn and if we haven't had enough fishing we head on down to Echo. Lots of action for perch on Echo. Same technique: just off the bottom using small jigs or ice flies tipped with meal worms or nite crawler. This is only our second year ice fishing so we are by no means experts. No electronics yet, so we fish just off the bottom. Gets us a few fish. It's great fun. We have been ice fishing 11 days since the first of the year. Not sure how much longer my wife can stand this....
Hope this helps
Good luck!
[signature]
I haven't been there yet but i hear that lost creek is doing very well. I am headed there next weekend i will let you know how it goes. Or if you go let me know how you do.
[signature]
I don't know where you are located to give local waters, but Scofield, up Spanish Fork canyon, has always been great fun for new icers. Mostly small fish, but a shot at a 4-5lb. Cutthroat or Rainbow.

Matt Warner out here in the Uinta wasteland is doing well right now. I have a few reports from coworkers of limiting out within a couple of hours on 2-3lb. trout.

Moon Lake has had reports of fair fishing for smaller fish. "from the web"

Steinaker is not doing as well this year as it has in the past, but it is easy access and has reports of fair fishing for trout.

If you want to purchase a tribal permit for the Ute tribal waters, they planted a couple hundred brood stock Lake Trout in Bottle Hollow located in Fort Duchesne. Some of the fish are tagged and worth prizes. I paused for a minute to call them and make sure that this is still valid. It is. The fish that were planted were between 6 and 10 lbs. There are still 2 tagged fish that have not been caught. Access to the lake is very easy and the fish are being caught close to the boat ramp. Ice is holding for now. I beleive the day license was $10. The annual went up this year to $65, but does include camping on tribal land.

I haven't been back up to the Green River since December. I have only had a couple of folks I know go up since and they said they did very well. The last report was probably 3 weeks ago.

The fishing on Pelican has slowed down the last couple of weeks. The few I know that have gone, said it was slow fishing and the ice was starting to thin at the shore.

Thats all I have for an Eastern report at this time. Good Luck.
[signature]