Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake report
Had a nice day at Fish Lake today with a couple of kids. Fished the east side in about 35 feet of water. Fourteen inches of ice and the entire lake is frozen. Did not venture out in the middle but there were snowmobile/ATV tracks going across the lake. Cold -- about 5 below at 9:00 a.m. but sunny and calm later with temp hoverig right around 10 degrees. Caught about 40 splake and rainbows on small jigs tipped with waxworm or perch meat. Many smallish splake in the 12 to 15 inch group and a few three pounders that kept it interesting. Had a good time in spite of the cold.
[signature]
thanks for the report. i've been wanting to make a trip to fish lake but haven't been able to make it there yet. nice to hear you got into a few bigger fish as well.
[signature]
Way to go!
No macks? Only enough perch for bait? Were you on the bottom or suspended on the east side?
I'll be there in 3 weeks!!!
[signature]
We did not specifically target the macks but with Fish Lake you never know when one might show up. The splake were definitely hugging the bottom and that's where we fished. Saw an occasional fish come through the screen at mid-depth and I suspect they were rainbows. We caught about five splake to every one rainbow. It was fun for the kids no matter the size. We ended up with two rainbows and four splake that were right at three pounds. We kept three of them.

We rode a 4-wheeler along the east side until we were almost straight across fromt the Lodge. There were many old ice-holes along that side and most of them were right along the weed line. The fish did not seem to be too fussy about lures as long as they were tipped with worm or perch. We had a hard time getting a couple of perch for bait. I put one of the kids on a perch detail about 10 yards out as soon as we got there and he immediately pulled up a 15 inch splake. We had to go right into the moss to finally find a couple of five inch perch that volunteered as bait.

Beautiful down there as always but a few degrees of warmth would sure help.

Best to ya.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I may head down on Sunday but was unsure of the conditions. Was there snow on top of the ice?
[signature]
Very little snow on the ice-- maybe two or three inches at most. Other places it had blown off to bare ice.

Good luck if you make it down there.
[signature]