Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Showdown At Sea
[font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 3][url "http://online.nwf.org/site/R?i=Em9g8M0f-VbV0hEPGyU4ng.."]Showdown At Sea[/size][/font]

[/url] [url "http://online.nwf.org/site/R?i=KrEEkB7SQ2isho5P8lHeSA.."][Image: 11871.gif][/url][/url][font "Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]
As a biologist studying the birds and sharks that frequent California’s Farallon Islands, Peter Pyle regularly witnesses the gory end of seals and sea lions ambushed by great whites. But the attack on October 9, 1997, was different. This time, the victim was a shark. [url "http://online.nwf.org/site/R?i=C7kGhS7oXvHIRpatweP_OA.."][#0099ff]Click here to find out what happened.[/#0099ff][/url][/size][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Cool. What goes around comes around[/size][/green][/font].[/center]
[signature]
What a great article Dave. I'm usually bored with those long writings before I reach half way, but that's a good one. It kinda makes you wonder about all those Orca's they have in the ocean parks.

Killer Whales are the top of the food chain, and are the largest predator on the planet. This isn't old news, I wonder why biologist are just now figureing it out? It's not rocket science, I don't know of anything that could kick an orca's butt.
[signature]
little fishes in the red tied
[signature]
here is one thing that was left out about the killer wale,

It is a direct decentant of an achent dog. Yes a land dwelling animal that walked and hunted on all 4s.

at the time of adaptation, food must have become in short supply and sea life for thousands of years was so plentiful in the shore line that this dog had no need to hunt on land any longer spending more and more time in the water waiting for fish and other sea food.

this went on and the dog eventualy developed fins but still not a whale and wouldnt be for a few thousands of years more.

yes there are fosle remains to prove the adaptations. several major jumps in genetics changes.

I would be curious to know just what the ginetics of a dolphin would be? dose it have dog dna or human?

cirtanly would explain the dolphin beaing to say words after sergical operations to its larinex. the only other animal that can mimmic human sounds is the parot of severl species.

any way, point being is, you realy are what you eat....
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here a bit of info re those beautiful black & whites.[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Feeding: The mouth of the orca is large and well adapted for hunting. It has 46 to 50 conical shaped teeth that point slightly backwards and inwards. The upper and lower teeth interlock, which aids in gripping large prey and tearing it into smaller pieces for easier swallowing. Depending on the population and geographic area, the diet of orcas varies. Food preference and availability may have led to the distinct population types, such as resident, transients, and offshores that have been observed/identified in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States and other areas around the world. Generally speaking, transients will feed on a variety of animals including: sea lions, elephant seals, harbor seals, porpoises, squid, [#bf0000]sharks[/#bf0000], fish, penguins, smaller whales, such as belugas and narwhals and even large baleen whales, such as gray whales. Resident whales tend to feed primarily on fish species such as salmon or herring. The diet of offshores is still being studied by scientists. [/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]LOL ! Why haven't biologists figured this out before ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Let me answer that with a question or a few - if you will.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How much biology did you study in the University you went to ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Was you course of education at that University 8 to 12 years long ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Out of all of the University students that actually do eventually graduate, how many do you think were motivated to become low paying scientists ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How many of those lowly paid scientists became even lower paid biologists ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How many of those low paid Biologists focused their long expensive 8 - 12 year education on Marine biology ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How many different Marine species do you think there might be in this world ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How many of those, live in Salt water versus Fresh ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How many Marine Biologist's are there in the English speaking world that would have the luxury of the funding money to study that one specific salt water species ? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Where do you think they would get that money ?[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]BTW - I am a Biologist. And, I know quite a bit about the different life forms in the world. I did not know all of what I just had the opportunity to learn before clicking on this thread - I was basically clueless about this. So, I guess I would be one of those Biologists you seem to be refering to who are just now figuring some of this stuff out. Additionally, I would add that the vast majority of Scientists and/or Biologists would have had no reason nor opportunity to know any of this. It would indeed be a rare one that would. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One last question ...[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If the biologists are just now starting to figure it out, who would have been available or able to teach any of this stuff before now ?[/size][/black]
[signature]
[Tongue] Interesting break down of events. LOL, I see what you're saying though.

No, there wasn't much biology pertaining to my degree, I went down the Criminal Justice path for obvious reasons based on my prior career. However, I regret that I didn't choose more wisely than I did. I would love to be one of those "under paid" marine biologist. I made the mistake of not chasing my dreams to the point of exicuting them when I had the chance. I'm trying to make that up with my sons. But, i'm still young enough to make that dream come true with the right set of circumstances.

I actually have a diverse level of knowledge on marine life as well. I'm a wierdo that instead of reading novels, I've got a library of non-fiction books on different species of fish, marine mammals and reptiles. I also dig asian philosophy. I've got books on Buddha and my favorite book by Lao Tzu called "Tao Te Ching." I have books on everything from the fish on the ocean floor that create thier own convalesant light to books on Palegic species. I make it a habbit to take that interest I have in marine life to the next level when I target species of fish. The more I know about that species, the better I can find them and catch them.

I would definately work for less money in order to do a job that I loved. I'd say the key to happiness isn't based on a paycheck. Sure, it would seem rediculous to take a 250 thousand dollar education only work a job to make peanuts. But, if that job was your dream, Would it not be worth it?

Take football players for instance. Take the millions of dollars out of the game and make it a 30K a year job. Do you think people would still want to play football? Sure they would, it would just be more people that play for the love of the game, and not so much for the money. There are things that are stronger than any amount of money or logic, it's called passion. I share that passion for our oceans and all that live beneath. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]When we were first married my wife worked for a Colonel Howard who was the head marine biologist at the Miami Sea Aquarium. She said that his work was just fascinating. Every day she had an interesting story to tell. When I asked how her day went, I really meant it.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]It's facinating when you learn something new about someone. I didn't really take you for one who would know anything about Lao Tzu or the Tao Te Ching. Most definitely a pleasant surprise on my part. I spent a good deal of time in China studying and also have a great appreciation for the philosophies and culture there. Their history is as amazing as it is vast, as are the many diverse aspects of the people. Perhaps we could discuss certain facets of those things asian at some point. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I was not indicting you nor your education when I asked about your study of Biology. I appologize if it appeared that way. I was building up the premise that I was getting to - that being; Biology is an immensely diverse field and there are relatively few people that have studied it and placed themselves in the postition to research many of the life forms that are still left on this planet. What little money does find it's way into general biological research of different life forms is almost exclusively allocated to the limited opportunities that will bring in a good monetary return - i.e. the money goes where the money will increase - not necessarily the knowledge. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Science is a process of understanding the natural world as it is most commonly experienced. Biology is a specific endeavor pertaining to just that which we identify as life. As we understand one thing, it creates more questions for which it is ever going to be possible to develop answers. [/size][/black]
[signature]
LOL, I had no such perception of your writings. I know you well enough to know that you were being insightful, not directive.

I've never been to china, but I have been to Thailand, Japan, and the Phillipines. Only for short periods of time, and I didn't have alot of opportunity to explore. I did have time to experiance the culture, and it was pleasing enough.

[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I studied microbacteriology in college. A facinating subject. Does that count?[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Wow you did that ? Must have been hard to study those tiny bugs with only a magnifing glass and a candle. Was that before or after Lewis and Clark ? [shocked][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Did they even have colleges that long ago ? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Let me guess; it was a 1 room log cabin and you had to walk 9 miles uphill against the wind both there and back in the snow with sandals made out of grass and reeds and all 4 students had to share the only book and take turns writing with the one piece of chalk as you all huddled around the fire place to keep from freezing in the dark. [Tongue][/size][/black]
[size 3][black]Oh, and yes, Bacteriology is facinating. My favorite is Cyanobacteria when it is found living in symbiosis with fungi.[Smile][/black][/size]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Man would you believe we even had central heating back then. Oh yes here is a picture from my year book. LOL[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=21064;][/center]
[signature]
Interesting and accurate points. It's nice to see us as humans humbled with new discoveries occasionally [Tongue]

I studied a lot of biology in undergrad...unfortunately, I was more impressed with the elegance of chemistry, and drifted that way, before changing again in post-graduate studies. I have ALWAYS regretted not following my head and heart, and doing something in biology, whether it was marine, wildlife, or any other subspecialty. Now, I'm sleep-deprived, over worked, cynical, and what biology I do know serves many times to confuse, rather than comfort me.

Very cool article and EXCELLENT thread.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Humbled is a very accurate description of how I feel when it comes to understanding the natural world. But at the same time, it is envigorating to know that there will always be something new to look forward to learing. As they saying goes (and I think it is just a rough translation from an ancient Chinese philosophical concept) "The more I know, the more I know I don't know".[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I can appreciate your attraction to chemistry - I also suffered a bit of that myself. It is very elegant, and like mathmatics, it puts things in a very interesting perspective. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I especially enjoyed organic chemistry - aside from the enormous body of knowledge that I seemed to struggle with absorbing as I tried to encorporate it along with my study of biology. Oh, the self torturous headaches I endured with that... [/size][/black]
[signature]

And don't forget the labs in chemistry [Wink]
That was like being a kid all over again, and having these very cool things to play with, and all kinds of neat colors and crystal and stuff...and sometimes even cool smells like vanilla or skunk or sulfur...man, the only thing that beats that is fishing [cool]
[signature]