Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carribou killed in co.
just read o mm web site that a carribou was struck and killed by a car last week. its in te summitdaily news. or on mm on the hunting forums genral hunting message board. it was a big bull.
[signature]
That's interesting. I didn't know they came this far south....too bad they don't wander into my hunting grounds!
[signature]
same here. i hope moore do migrate o how i hope.[Wink]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I'd say check out the local news papers for zoo escapees. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]And, as a side note, before pulling the trigger, check out the proclamation for when the legal Caribou season might be.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Caribou are not a protected species in Utah...therefore there are no rules about harvesting them. Heck according to the state, Wolves don't live here either. I'd blast one of those useless animal slaughtering creatures if I saw one! If it had a radio collar, I'd lop it off and chuck it into the back of some semi trailer! Let the environmentalists track him all the way to Florida!
[signature]
[black][size 3]The purpose and intent of my prior post was only to suggest that a little forethought and investigation might be in order before any action were taken.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Whether or not the state of Utah recognizes the existance or value of one animal or another, would not be the important issue if there were a federal jurisdiction involved. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I don't know if Caribou are protected or not. But, I suspect it would be difficult to explain to the Feds, DWR or a local judge that a person thought it was only a deer, or that it looked like fair game because it doesn't normally live in these parts. For more info on Utah law regarding Caribou [url "http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r657/r657-003.htm"]click here[/url].[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I do know that Utah does not acknowledge the official presence of wolves or that of the lynx within the state proper. But, my hounds and I have found both species here in the past. Politically, the entity known as the state of Utah, does not know everything.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]And as far as taking something not specifically designated as a game species, I can say that for sure Carp are not identified as one - but, a person still needs the appropriate license to legally angle, bowfish or otherwise pursue, hunt for, or attempt to harvest them. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Additionally, it is specifically stated in the proclamations from the DWR that it is explicitly forbidden to intentionally waste a species. Furthermore, in the furbearer proclamation it states that a lynx or wolf may NOT be taken by any means - it names them specifically as prohibited. (section R657-11-25).[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As the concerned outdoors man, that I would like to think you are, I would rather believe that you would not harvest nor waste any species merely because an unobserved opportunity presented itself without researching the possible implications for doing so.[/size][/black]
[size 3][black]According to the law, as I have come to understand it, traditionally it has been the responsibility of the individual to know the law. [/black][/size]
[signature]
there is alot moore info about caribou and how they did migrate in days of old they came down in the us by the 1000,s. monstermuleys.com message boards. that site is well worth veiwing.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have looked at that web site before and there are some way cool things there. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]However, this morning when I tried to look up that Caribou info that website would only sit and spin it's cyber wheels and I couldn't get anywhere. It's probably my connection on this end.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I did know that the range of the Caribou did historically include some of the lower 48, and that the further back in time a person looked the more territory their range covered. From my understanding, there are a number of reasons for the shrinking territory of that species. Weather patterns, climate change, habitat, and man's presence being the main influences that I remember, but I definitely would not consider myself much of an expert on that particular species.[/size][/black]
[signature]