Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding to my arsenal
Ok so after reading a bunch of stuff here i am adding this fine piece of hardware to my arsenal.
[inline i119562sn01.jpg]

Now i need a stick for it to go on. I do not have a lot of money but was wondering what some good options would be. It will be used for a little kitty action as well as throwing some heaver gear when i go out for the bigger fish. I currently have an ultra light, and a Med (i do believe) action spinning rigs. I will be mostly in my float tube.

Thanks
Majja
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bring a reel with you on Tuesday night. I cnn let you set it up on several different sizes and actions...to see what fits you best.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the offer, but it will be some where in the UPS system on that night. Maybe another night?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That might work better anyway. We have a lot to do in a short time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a couple of small Quantums and I like them. Once you get your reel and get it spooled we can go over to the park and try some casts with different rods to get the feel for it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm guessing...just guessing, mind you...that it is going to be a couple of weeks before you are ready to get out in the tube again...unless you go back to Blue Lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow TD you are pretty much on the money with that guess. For soem reason (Wink Wink ) i just do not think the tube will be seeing any water anytime soon. And that would be great to kind of try a few things out.
[signature]
Nice choice in a reel. How about one of these for a rod?

http://www.rodsbyairrus.com/rods_ultra_xl.html

I have the UXLC701M matched up with a Quantum Tour Edition PT and the whole package feels like a dream.

I haven't had the rod for too long, but had a blast with it back in November & December chasing Striped Bass down @ Lake Mead.
[signature]
That sounds like an awesome combo. How does it do with casting light lures (1/4 oz. and smaller?)
[signature]
It does quite well with 1/4 ounce lures...I don't think I've tried anything smaller. The rod is pretty unique compared to a lot of rods on the market and I'd recommend it to anyone. Paired w/ the Quantum it has an outstanding balance and just "feels" right. I can't wait for some soft water so I can use it some more. If you are interested, here is some more info on the rod:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewairrusultraxl.html
[signature]
sweet. Thanks for the information.
[signature]
You are welcome, Trollboy8.
One thing to consider, it seems you mention a desire to throw some really light weight lures. Have you considered a super light-weight reel like a Shimano Chronarch MG?
The Quantum PT is great, but it is a bit on the heavy side...9.5 ounces. The MG weighs in at 5.9, and the difference in the way it feels and the dynamics it has on a given rod is pretty remarkable.
I initially had said Quantum on a 3.7 ounce St. Croix rod. It worked, but it never balanced and it pretty much over-powered the rod. I picked up the MG in December and put the Quantum on the Airrus rod & the Shimano on the St. Croix, and it is unbelievable how light the whole setup is. So far it appears to be a great match for both of them.
Anyway, for throwing light lures, it may be fun and something to consider.
[signature]
I was looking at chronarchs just the other day. I will have to check that out.
[signature]