Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big fish
[laugh]What are some of the biggest fish you guys have caught? Weight and size or both. Just curious to see how utahs fish compare to other places trophy size. [blush]
[signature]
[blush][#800000][size 2]I got a 8lb 27" brown trout, once(Jordanelle). 3lb LMB and a 5.6lb 22.5" smallie also at Jordanelle. Numerous 5lb rainbows thru ice at Strawberry. A massive 5lb cutt at strawberry, I thought I hooked a brown. A 3lb catfish at Clear Lake,ca(ther weren't bass in there when I was a kid). And, some huge Perch at Jordanelle. Oh, there is no more fish in Jordanelle. Go somewhere else, winter kill you know[Wink].[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
I caught a 36" mack which weighed over 20 lbs out of Flaming Gorge which is'nt that large compared to the state record of over 50 lbs. and several kokanee 24" long at around 5 lbs. I've caught wipers over 5 lbs out of Willard Bay and 25" rainbows and cutts out of Strawberry that weighed around 6 lbs.

MackAttack
[signature]
[#ff0000]One of my favorites was a 26 inch Bull trout (Dolly Varden) that I caught out of the headwaters of the south fork of the Flathead River in the middle of the Bob Marshall wilderness area, Montana. It was a wonderful deep hole in a small creek that I was bumping a double spinner along the bottom with a little "snoopy" Zebco 77 reel/pole combo. (Very light and convenient for backpacking.) That was a few years ago, I hear that they are considered endangered now. Beautiful fish, beautiful country. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Walleye - 24" 3lbs. 12oz

Pike - 36" 14lbs. 10 oz.

Lake Trout - 34" 17lbs. 8 oz

Brown Trout - 25" about 4lbs.

Rainbow Trout - 22" 3lbs 8oz.

Channel Cat - 28" 9lbs 0oz

numerous other species that were too small to add here.

to be continued (I hope)
[signature]
My biggest fish I have caught here in Utah was a 28 lb Mack out of the gorge, and a 18 lb Channel Cat.
[signature]
I have cought several macks 10-17#(BEAR LAKE)and several musky's with 6 over 40"(Pineview&Newton)2 Chinook's on the Nahalem River in Oregon 1 at 32# and 1 at 24# and a couple handfulls of Cat's around 12-14#(Bear River)and a few 4# Wipers(Willard)!!M.H.
[signature]
My first walleye I caught at Yuba 4 or 5 years ago is my biggest to date.He went 25" long and was 5 1/2 pounds.That is when they had perch and other forage to chomp on.Last year at Yuba was Sad.My fathernlaw pulled up a couple of 24"to 25" eyes that probably weighed in at 2 pounds.Real sick and snakey looking.Poor buggers.My biggest bow came out of Strawberry last spring at ice off that was 23" long and weighed 4 pounds.Finally got a descent Musky on Pineview that was 41" long and weighed 16.5 pounds.Quite a few wipers at Williard over 5 pounds.Catfish at a local pond was 6 pounds.I'm really wanting a big brown and a big laker.I've never fished for lakers but plan to this year.Have got a few good browns but nothing over 4 pounds.Lots of other stuff too but not nothing to special.Although the 5+ pound smallie made my day on Jordanelle.That thing was full of fight!

Fishman

P.S. could use some info on those Macs please.Thanks for any help.PM me if you want.
[signature]
Hey never,

just to let you know the dolly and the bull are two separate fish but dolly is a common slang word for bull trout sometimes. I caught my first bull last year up in montana. First thought it was a brookie because the waters we were fishing are not recognized as having very many bulls. Cool fish though. The bull trout is in very bad shape and its losing ground fast. Lets all hope we can keep them around.
[signature]
I caught my biggest fish last year to date.

26 3/4 inch 9lb brown

before that it was probly a 6 lb brook trout
[signature]
Well my biggest so far in Utah is a 27.5 " 7.5 walleye . But I have hook some pigs out of Utah Lake ( 4 to 6 # walleye ) My biggest brown was 27" and a cutt around 27" ( got away before I got my tape out ). I had a big bow on at ice out that I would of loved to have a pic of but it broke off right a shore . I think my biggest cat was around 15 # and I don't want to tell ya about the carp (17#) .Hey the serve baked carp in the steak houses in Kansas , and it's not bad . Need to get me a Tiger Musky , I did catch a few N. pike around 36 " . A 3# crappie is quite the fight to Remember too ! tight lines
[signature]
well this interesting so here are some of the fish ive caught.

walleye 31.5 in.

brown 28.25

rainbow 29

smallmouth 20.5

cuttthroat 25.5

carp 35 haha

channel cat 29

blue cat 31

crappie 11

brook trout 21

bull trout 20

white bass 11

other fish that were small and not worthy of this list haha.
[signature]
Here some fish I've caught that I consider decent Most were released so I only have measurements.

Striped bass - 8 lbs L Powell

Walleye - 5.25 lbs Utah Lake

LM bass - 19" Newton Ice fishing

Bluegill - 11" Pelican L.

Crappie - 12" Newton

White bass - 14" Utah L.

Rainbow - 23.5" Strawberry

Mackinaw - 27" Bear L.

Browns - 19" typical Green River fish

Perch - 13.5" Deer Creek Res.

King salmon 39" - Alaska
[signature]
[#ff0000]Good info X, I wonder what the heck it was? The folks I was with that were more familiar with those waters used the terms interchangeably. It wasn't as colorful like a brookie, but more silvery grey with a big prominent lower hooked jaw. Any ideas? [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Whats the deal? Doesnt anybody catch any big wipers. Well I saw a few posts.
This last year the wiper size seemed to be a few inches smaller then the year before. The biggest wiper I caught last year was 22 inches, and the average size was around 15 to 18 inches. But the year before I caught one at 24 inches, and the average size caught was 18 to 20 inches. I also caught a lot more wipers last year than the year before. Anybody else notice any size difference? Or maybe the opposite? Just curious. Wiper24
[signature]
wow that is a whopper lm bass out of newton i didnt know they got that big in there. i might have to go back up all i got into the one time i went were about 12 inchers or so. but i have to say it has the biggest bluegill ive seen around in this state for along time.
[signature]
that would be the bull trout. a dolly is unmistakable in comparison if you were to hold them both side by side. that is a tremendous bull you caught. they get very large but catching one is a different story. i just thought i might add that to your post just for info sake. you said that was on the flathead?
[signature]
[#ff0000]Lets see how my memory is. It was about a mile up Jenny Creek from where it joins the Danahur? or something like that -don't quote me- that forms the south fork of the Flathead river. The creek was about the size of the upper Logan river around the Tony Grove turn off. There was a big deep undercut against some huge rocks in a bend probably 12-18 feet deep with some shallow little rapids rolling into it. It was crystal clear and I could see lots of structure along the bottom but no fish. I casted up into the rapids and then let the double spinner fall into the hole close to the structure and retrieved it a few times with no luck. I got busy goofing around and wasn't watching my spinner and the current had taken it to the bottom and out of sight under a ledge. I went to reel it in and it was snagged. Enough to make you cry after you have packed a few select lures on your back for seventy miles. I gave it a few sharp snaps to try and jar it loose, had changed the direction of my tugging several times and was ready to just give it the suicide snap when I noticed my line had been slowly moving up stream. Oh my gosh, With all that I had just barely woke it up. It exploded into a forty minute battle with a snoopy pole, what a rush, before it eased up to the bank. We roasted it on a spit over an open fire along with some ruffed grouse we had got with a wrist rocket earlier that day. What an incredible experience mixed with Sad emotion to know that they are a struggling species now. Gotta preserve those future memories for our kids. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
[Smile] 33in. walleye released, at utah lake.
28.5in. brown trout released, at rock creek.
19.3in. smallmouth relaesed at jordanelle.
21in. largmouth 12lbs. she hangs over my fireplace.
caught in calif. 1976
19.8in. bluegill 3.4lbs. caught in calif.
17in. whitebass utah lake.
19.8in. largemouth released at utah lake.
15.4in. perch at yuba.
26in. cut trout released at strawberry.
25in. rainbow at strawberry.

later chuck
[signature]
I'll only post my biggest UT fish for each of these...I have caught bigger of some of these in other states though...

Walleye...8lbs...28-29" (can't remember for sure)...Utah Lake

Brown Trout...5lbs...25"...Deer Creek

Smallmouth Bass...19"...Deer Creek

Largemouth Bass...7lbs 11oz...22"...Utah Lake

White Bass...16.5"...Utah Lake

Rainbow Trout...24"...Deer Creek

Channel Catfish...12lbs...Utah Lake
[signature]