Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My most recent Utah hunt...
Hey everyone,
I'm tickled about this new board!
After the usual Deer/Elk/Pheasant hunts in '06, we signed up for a PIG hunt!
My brother, my work buddy and I went up to Corrine in November and hunted pigs. They are 1/2 Russian Bore and 1/2 Ferral Pig. Mine came in at about 450 lbs.! Its on Private property and these are not "pen raised" pigs. They are free roaming pigs on thousands of acres of property and it took us all afternoon to find and get 3 of them. They will charge you if they get cornered and I have to admit that walking out next to the swamp in the tall grass I was more than a little bid on edge. You can go into the really thick stuff and use a bow and arrow, but we chose to use our rifles. I used my .338 Win Mag, although I think any large caliber would do. Not to be visual, but those pigs really squealed when hit!
We had them processed up in Brigham City and we ended up with standard pig cuts of meat: Cured Bacons and Hams, Pork Chops, Roasts, etc. etc. It tastes pretty good too!

The guy next to me in one of the pics was our guide that day. The two hunters holding rifles in the 3rd pic is my brother Derrin and our work buddy Brian.

Randy

My name N.E.T.O. applies to my hunting life also. I generally kill every vacation day I earn either hunting or fishing!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
That's awesome NETO... I had heard about the pig hunts up there, but had never known anyone that had done it. [Smile]
[signature]
Great pics NETO. I've heard that's a pretty cost-effective hunt as well. If you don't mind me askin' how much did it cost the old pocket book?
[signature]
It was $375 for the hunt, and another $140 to have the pig processed.
My wife did a cost analysis and said that pound per pound, it was actually about the same as just going to the butcher and buying a processed pig of the same weight...

The $375 price allows you to hunt on the property where the pigs can get up to 500 lbs.

For $475 you are allowed to hunt on the property where the pigs are from 500 to 1000 lbs.!

So the bigger the pig you shoot, the more cost effective it is.

However, I stopped trying to make my hunting cost effective per lb. of meat years ago. It just never seems to work out!

I would definitely do this hunt again.

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
[cool] SWEEET!

I had a buddy do that a few years ago. Had a great time. He said the meat was good. You sure cant put a price on that stuff. Ita about the hunt, The company and the memories.

Gotta love that 338. I love my ruger also. What bullet do you shoot in that thing?
[signature]
[black][size 3]LOL ! Trying to cost justify hunting with a dollar per pound figure would be ... Let's see guns, vehicles, gas, ammo, clothing, hourly time spent, etc ... that would be just scary.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]How about figuring out out the same for fishing - per pound of fillet ? [shocked][/size][/black]
[signature]
I agree 100%! I mean, how can we put a price tag on our hunting experiences? I'd like to give this place a try. Would you pm me the contact info?
[signature]
Rileyfish,
I love my .338 also! When I first bought it, I used the 250 grain Nosler (Federal Premium off the shelf) and it was very accurate in that rifle (Ruger also by the way!). I liked the accuracy so much that I used it for smaller big game like deer and antelope, but found that the 250 grain slug was like a laser beam...it went right thru and never expanded...still seemed very deadly however, but I wanted something that expanded a little more. My current favorite load is the 185 Grain Barnes XLC which I reload myself. It is fast and very accurate and hits game with a big "THUMP". Sounds like a baseball hitting a giant catchers mitt!
I'll have to find a new pet load however, as Barnes recently discontinuted the XLC bullets. I've still got about 150 rounds loaded up, so that might last me a couple years, but I'll be working up a new load soon!
Randy
[signature]
Hey Bearclaw,
I've got their DVD advertisement with their names, contact info, etc. etc. Its over at my dads. I'll stop by and get it and get the info pm'd to you shortly!
Randy
[signature]
I also shoot a .338 and absolutely love it. I shoot the trophy bonded in the 225gr. I most recently shot the accubond and was impressed with its accuracy. I haven't hunted with the accu-bonds yet but have huntin' buddies that swear by em'.
[signature]
I have been handloading mine for years. I shoot the 210 grain Nosler ballistic tip in mine. I use IMR 4350 powder. It will put three under a quarter at 100 yds. I have shot elk and deer with it and had no animal get away. Leaves a good wound channel. I reatined the bullet from a large 5 point bull I shot in Idaho in 1999. IT reatined 138 grains of the original 200. Not the best, But not bad after taking out a front shoulder.

If you have not done it, I would recommend getting the trigger worked on your gun. I have all of my rifles from 22-250 through 338 done to 2lbs. It really helps take the slap out of the trigger. IF your intersted I can pm you the info on who I had do mine. It really made a diffrence.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Rileyfish,
You are the 3rd person who has told me that the 225 gr ballistic tips work well in their rifle. I may have to try them out.
When I bought my .338, I dropped it off at my gunsmith (Ray Federico/NightOwls) and had the trigger worked (down to 3 lbs) and also had a de-celerator pad put on it, before I even shot it!
Both the 250's and the 185's that I have used have been really accurate in it. I haven't quite been able to get 3 within a quarter with it, but I can put 3 within about a 2 or 2 1/2 inch circle pretty regularly.

I think the gun is a little more accurate than I am!

Randy
[signature]
Well, I am sure you know probably know a whole lot more about reloading than me Randy. However I make sure that all of my bullets seat into the land and grooves of my barrel as I close the bolt. I dont like haveing any slap in the bullet as it enters the barrel.

We spent alot of time with diffrent powders and grain amounts to get it to that point.
[signature]