Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proper etiquette
Two yeas ago I bought a 14' boat with a 20 hp gas motor, no electric trolling motor at all. I was at a lake in north Utah and saw a man and wife fishing from tubes. That was before I was a member of this board. If that scene happens again, and I would like to meet this individual, what is the proper etiquette for a boater to approach and talk to a tuber?
[signature]
That's a good question...I'm anxious to see what members here answer. If they are getting into fish, might be best to just wait it out until they start to move before you approach, so you don't kill the bite.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That coulda been me and TubeBabe. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't think there is a written tubing/boating interaction etiquette guide, but basic boating and sportsmanship rules should apply. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have no problem with someone approaching and chatting with me...under the following circumstances.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Shut down the big motor before you run over me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Watch which way I am casting or where I am dragging a bait. Usually I will be casting/fishing in "front" of me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Better to approach from the side, where we can watch you and then wave or hail from a distance to get our attention. Otherwise you are just "another damn boater" and subject to getting a surface to surface missile.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Ask permission to come closer to chat. If granted, come around and approach from behind, so as not to run over the "honey hole" or baited lines trailing out behind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Pay attention to wind direction. Position your boat downwind from tubers while chatting, if possible. It's a bother to have to keep shoving off from a boat that blows down right on top of the tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We are sociable, and always look forward to meeting new BFTers, or talking with those we already know. But, when we go fishing, we are serious. And, we have had our sport ruined too many times by inconsiderate boaters who run right over where we are fishing. Some fish are more finicky about boat noise than others, but in shallow water almost any fish move to get away from boat noise. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, unless you really have a reason for getting "up close and personal", try to keep your boat only close enough for easy conversation. Of course, if you wanna hand off some treats or "refreshments", bring it on. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Often I will invite a fellow BFTer over to hand off some of my custom lures or demo a special rig if we are catching fish and there is a tackle or technique issue. While we are serious anglers and appreciate some solitude, I am also an "easy touch" when it comes to answering questions or providing help...especially when there is a kid in the boat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 2]I keep waiting to meet some of you on the stillwater also. Not a problem now cause I have all the stickers, flags, hats (which by the way, with a little velcro, I can attach the patches to any hat LOL) and shirt. Plus the fact, not too many red heads in a big yellow pontoon[Wink]
I did get to meet Majja at Strawberry late this last year and feel the bond with him now.[laugh]
Going to try to hit more of the Utah waters this year (still going to Idaho also and maybe Montana, Wyoming)

Had a blast at Scolfield this fall, so want to try camping down there, plus all the surrounding waters should make a great week end vacation or longer.
Plus the Big Fish Happen, outting at the "H" in the last of Sept first of Oct.

All I got to say, you see me on the water, you better come say hi! I can always find more fish[Wink]
[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Yea it is pretty cool running into people on the water. FG and Evilash rock. They are fish catching machines and just nice as hell people. really make it a party and try to put to get a weekend some time with a bunch of BFT'ers that could be pretty fun. But than again I am feeling the hangover form that already.
[signature]
I think we need our own BFT lodge with secret handshake and everything...[cool]
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1] I think we need our own BFT lodge with secret handshake and everything...[img]../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]
Right On![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sounds good to me
[signature]
[cool][#0000bf]When you get to be my age, your hands shake all the time. At least I think they do. I don't remember.[/#0000bf]
[signature]
[sly] Never thought of THAT as the secret handshake, that's funny!
[signature]