Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Derby Advice
Hi Folks,

Just seeking some advice here....

I am helping to put on an ice fishing derby for a division of the company I work for. It'll involve a couple dozen anglers at most, some of which hardly fish or have never been on the ice before. Although I am a well-seasoned angler, I have only a little bit of icefishing experience.

The popular choice right now is to go to Strawberry. However, I am partial to trying elsewhere because so many of the fish at the 'Berry must be released because of the slot limit (makes it hard to prove how many fish one has caught or how big).

I need some suggestions on OTHER lakes you would try in the area other than Strawberry and also lakes to avoid (due to poor ice conditions, etc.) We are planning on holding this informal derby either this weekend or the following weekend. I really want to make this a fun and safe event for my fellow employees.

These are the guidelines:
1. The lake should be less than 2 hours from the greater SLC area.
2. The ice conditions should be safe for the newbie icefisher (Liability could be an issue here).
3. The lake should be accessible by SUV or 4x4 truck (most of us don't have quads or sleds).
4. The fishing action should be good of course!

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice you can give me!

Kevin
[signature]
Schofield would be my guess especially where they upped the limit to 8.
[signature]
I am having really good luck at currant creek..plus it is usually warmer than strawberry...
[signature]
A lot of the fish will be smaller but East canyon might be another lake to think about. WH2
[signature]
I would say East Canyon although Pineview could be a good choice its hit and miss
[signature]
You also might concider Deer Creek. I was fishing there on Saturday afternoon/evening around the island and the ice was plenty safe (around 6") and people were walking and fishing clear across to the far side. Also since it hasn't been iced over very long the pressure hasn't taken too much of a toll yet.
[signature]
Thanks for your input guys! The powers that be have chosen Strawberry as the place. So the Berry it shall be! Wish me luck!
[signature]