Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe/Palisades Updates
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]My son and I had the opportunity to fish Ririe Reservoir both on Thursday night and Friday all day. Both days had excellent fishing and you could not beat the conditions. On Friday in 1.5 hours of fishing we iced 9 perch and 1 cutt. We both had Friday off and it was perfect timing for good fishing; it may have been my best day of fishing at Ririe in six years for the variety bag. In the end we caught 46 perch, (several above 8 inches and fat) 7 cutts, 5 kokes, and 2 crayfish (these can be a highlight if your kid is 7.) I am not going to say where I fished unless you want a pm, but I will say a major strategy I used. To keep the perch interested I constantly rotated bait, and kept it fresh. I used mealies, wax worms, pieces of crawler, and perch eyes. If I stayed with one bait for any period of time the action slowed, but as soon as I changed it picked up. The kokes came in from 3:30-4:30 they were just occasional individuals, but they were aggressive. The high light for me was the last fish of the day; a very fat 16’ cutt. My son and I had a very good day and I am honored to have a son who loves ice fishing so much. I know a few of you have young ones right now and I just hope you have a kid like mine who does not mind going out at 5:00 am at -20. He has already promised me to take me out all the time when I become a very old man.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I gave lantern fishing at PaliSades its annual shot, and once again I chocked up another learning experience. I fished with my son in front of the gates from 5:00-8:45 pm. We had two fish on and five bites all within twenty minutes of each other. My biggest mistake was fishing with ten poles and one lantern. Whenever we did have a fish on it created a major entanglement, and what makes it worse is I knew this was going to be a possibility. We would have had the one; about a 16 inch trout if it had not had another line attached to it. I am not done with lantern fishing, but the next time I go up I am camping! I am just going home to bed I might as well just sleep there and fish in the morning. When I left the wind was blowing and hiking out I thought my face was going to fall off. When you do hike out from a lantern fishing experience do yourself a favor and turn the lantern off; this creates a very serene experience especially in the forest. On a final note for those who use flasher systems I had some crazy feedback fishing by the gates; I was finally able to distinguish my bait from the other clutter, but it was difficult.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]OvidCreek[/size][/font]
[signature]
Very interesting. What do you thing was causing the feedback on your flasher? Maybe backwash? It will be another two weeks before I can get out again. It is killing me[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
Can someone give me directions to Ririie dam from Idaho Falls (Ammon). I am headed up on Friday and have no idea how to get to the dam.
[signature]
fish_on2

From Ammon take one of the many side roads going north until it ties in to US 26. Take a right on 26 aand drive for about 9 miles to Ririe. When you get to Ririe stay on 26 and pass the Sinclair/Subway there will be now signs leading you to Ririe Dam, basically it is one mile past the Sinclair/Subway and you will tkae another right and in 2.4 miles you will enter the recreation area and the dam is quite visable from this location. Remember you can fish one mile up from the dam. Good Luck!

OvidCreek
[signature]
Thank you!
[signature]
Windriver,

I feel for you! Not to rub it in, but the fishing has been spectacular the last little while.[sly] I do think it was the flowback from the gates; I really had no chance to pick up any macks on the Vexilar; I was basically limited to about 30 feet of sonar.

OvidCreek
[signature]
How were the edges of the ice at PaliSades? Did you need a board to get on?

C P
[signature]
The ice was really nice; no slush. I used my sled to get on, due to about 1-2 feet unstable shore ice. I always bring a board everywhere I go, but in most cases a good leap of faith will get you on[Wink] I talked to one fisherman who got a boot full of water, but he said he only went down 16' inches.

OvidCreek
[signature]