Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry and Jordanelle 2-2
Decided to hit strawberry yesterday with a couple of friends.. We took the four wheelers and headed out from the marina at about 800... we moved about ten different times, drilling holes and using he sonar.. I marked maybe three fish all day.. after about three hours we finally caught one fish.. a nice 22.5 inch rainbow.. at about 1230 we decided to head to jordanelle... we went to the rock cliffs and started walking out about 230... we talked to several groups of anglers who said they were not doing well.. one guy had caught one perch and had two other bites all day.. we went out and right away we got into them.. we caught about about 20 perch and 10 trout.. the perch were almost all small.. mostly about 4 inches long.. the trout were about 10 to 12 inches long.. a couple of them were pretty fat..

It was tough getting skunked at strawberry.. I took a bunch of suggestions from guys like MGB and other this summer and I thought I had a good handle on the berry.. I could go up there in the summer on my toon and catch 30 or 40 fish in a day but obviously the hard water is totally different..
[signature]
Sounds like a very rough day on the berry. I'm surprised you weren't able to find any fish. At least you salvaged the day at the nelle.
[signature]
in reply to: obviously the hard water is totally diffrent..

not so much as you would think. the fish still have to eat and food right now is getting harder for them to come by. still the fish know whats food and whats not. fooling them in clear water under the ice can be harder at times. finding they'er feeding times will help you alot. some times the best feeding time can come in the midle of the night pending on the moon fase and what they are feeding on..
you'll find the fishing on the ice can be faster than any other time of the year if your timing is right. i have found tho as the ice get's thicker and light getting through go's down so does the fish counts.. this time of year try and find lakes with thiner ice and less snow for better fishing..
[signature]
I have some Sad news.It has been so cold recently at the berry that all the fish have frozen to death. Yes that
is correct there are no more fish in strawberry. So tell all your friends not to waste time fishing there. Best to try a diiferent lake.
[signature]
I would have to agree that winter fishing is different than summer fishing. I find that different lures/jigs and techniques work in winter better than in the summer. Of course it is hard to troll on 'the hard deck.[Wink]
I am going to the berry tomorrow I hope I can find the ones that hid from you.
[signature]
Hey Aaron,
Don't get discouraged about the Berry. Some days are like that. I also used to move around a lot and found that I spent a lot more time moving around than fishing. We started just staying put more often and found out that eventually the fish do come around. Don't get me wrong, if I sit there for 3 hours, I eventually will move or go home, but for the most part, we stay put. We were at the Berry today (Feb 3) and we didn't see hardly ANY fish on the finder...until they were on our hook on the way up! They were all on the bottom out of site on the fishfinder. We ended up with 22, 2 of which were over the slot...we missed a lot more than that. A school would swim thru about every 20 minutes or so (we saw the schools on the finder when they came thru), and in between the schools a few singles would show up. During the schools, we sometimes had doubles on.
Way to salvage the trip at Jordanelle!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
[reply]
I would have to agree that winter fishing is different than summer fishing. I find that different lures/jigs and techniques work in winter better than in the summer. Of course it is hard to troll on 'the hard deck.[Wink]
I am going to the berry tomorrow I hope I can find the ones that hid from you. [/reply]
Hey, you can troll all day long on the ice if you have an ATV or snowmobile, and you can even do it without, but you might get tired of walking........just don't expect to get any bites dragging that lure around on top of the ice.
[signature]