Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to use at Porcupine
I havent fished Porcupine before where is good there and depth and what would you recommend useing there
[signature]
I think I would look for water between 70-100 feet, then just fish 10 feet or so below the ice with small ice flies tipped with mealies or waxies.
[signature]
I was at Porcupine yesterday and fished with a large group of friends, met a fellow BFT'R "Kenai King" who was with one of my buddies. It was a slow day with the fish not arriving until around noon then things got hot for a bit, I think I ended up putting 8 fish on the ice. Everyone caught fish including some of the youngsters. I stayed until 2:30 and they never came back in for us. There were alot of people on the ice until about noon, I didn't see any one get into the fish but they were pretty much scattered around the lake and I didn't watch everyone. The edges are getting bad, I had to put one of my ATV loading ramps out to get on the ice. We were fishing in about 100 feet of water and started catching our first fish down at about 40 feet they moved to the suraface as we started catching them.Several of the people I talked to had come off the face of the dam and said they didn't need a ladder but it was starting to get a bit dicey. If you go be carefull.[cool]

By the way It was nice meeting you Craig "Kenai King" and thanks for sharing a picture of the beautilful bull you took on this past fall's Muzzle Loader hunt.
[signature]
Do you think Porcupine will be solid enough to fish by next week end?

Utahbill
[signature]
[size 1]I guess we should have stayed there with you guys. We heard someone whooping it up before we left but figured they would be gone by the time we walked back. We did catch a 18" brown and had a small group of kokes come through but they were biting too light to hook. Glad to hear they finally came through and you got some. It looked like your group was just about the last ones on the ice when we left. I enjoyed getting out and fishing with you this weekend Pete, hope to see you out at Willard this year if there is[/size][url "javascript:misspelled('there\'s', 0)"][size 1] [#333366] [/#333366][/size][/url] [blue][, theresa, theirs, threes, theories, through, throws] [/blue][size 1]enough water. [unsure][/size]
[signature]
It all depends on the weather. If it will get cold again, it will be OK, but a lot of bright sunshine will melt the edges up there. Most of the access is on south facing slopes, so the ice can go quick up there.
[signature]
If it stays warm this week I'd take a long ladder.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Pete...Thanks for going out and getting me some kokanee to snack on.Paul was kind enough to share some with me![Smile]
[signature]
Hey Pete, it was nice meeting you also. My buddy ended up taking the Koke's that we caught but I was able to sample some of Paul's little 'smoked delights' yesterday. I think next time I will be the one taking them home! Next time we run into each other I will try to have decent pictue of my bull.
[signature]
Where have you been Steve? Haven't heard from you for awhile. I know you always did like the smoked Kokanee. You need to make a run to Anderson with us this summer, I think you have fished it before. We had a blast with the Kokes there last 4th of July, we then went Perch jerking at C.J. Strike. Say hi to all the guys at PH for me. I'd like to say I miss it but you know better than that.[Smile]
[signature]
I've been in Parker hibernation!!!I'm going on a 3 day mini long range trip out of San Diego next month so I should be able to fill the freezer.I would like to meet you up at Anderson this year...I miss our Gorge trips.I did really good up a Porcupine this past summer but I like yanking on those big ones at the Gorge.
[signature]