Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Help
Ok, so I have decided to take the plunge and go fishing at Flaming Gorge this year.. I have never ice fished there before.. Already this year I have purchased a power auger, two flashers, a new sled and a ice fishing hut, I am now going to purchase a rod and reel appropriate for fishing flaming gorge..

that said, I am hoping to get some help on location and technique.. I am not asking for specifics (although I will take them)... I am coming from the salt lake valley so the three hour drive would be better if if could be a productive trip.. I dont even need to catch the biggest fish ever but a few of the smaller ones would be great...

I have read that 4" tube jigs tipped with chubs worked well... what else should I know... by the way I plan on taking my wheeler so I should be able to move around.. Thanks guys

by the way, if anyone is interested in going with me or meeting me somewhere, that would be great.. and I will pay for gas and food if you are willing to teach me a thing or two.. [Wink]
[signature]
ok so I have been reading the other posts.. some of the guys have been talking about 80 foot humps... what are these and why are these important .. are these humps of structure that are 80 feet deep?? is this an important depth for macs??

any help for a newguy would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks AJ
[signature]
I would advise you to read as many post as you can about the Gorge, also look at the Wyoming site for more info. The humps are important because those large macks like to hang out on them, not sure why but they are easy to find during the summer. It's a little harder in the winter because of all the holes you will need to drill to find them. Chub meat will work but sucker meat works better. If you plan on fishing the Wyoming side, you will need to buy special permits to run your ATV. If you don't know where the state line is, you better find out before you go. I would also advise you to go out and buy a good map of the Gorge, one that shows the contour and structure, the best map even gives you GPS cords. I bought mine at Utah/Idaho school and map supply co. Good luck, hope you find some fish. WH2
[signature]
WH2 is right, you really need a map and GPS to locate them humps.
fish like to hang around humps and feed, for some reason they like them. some times you can just hang a jig 20 to 40 feet off bottom,
with bottom being 100 plus feet. hope this helps later chuck
[signature]
thanks guys.. I am going to pick a nice day in the next week and head up there.. I will let you know.. I think I will go buy that map tomorrow.. thanks again..AJ
[signature]
ok so I bought my pole, and reel and fitted it with line. I also bought a bunch of jigs.. i am ready to go.. I even know where I am going to fish... but there is some kind of special stamp I have to buy right.. I remember this from floating the green with my fly rod... I am going to go up throught wyoming and through manilla... where is the best place to buy this pass... and is this the only pass I will need????
[signature]
You need an recip stamp to fish the Wyoming side of the Gorge, you also need a parking pass if you park within 1/4 miles of any developed area. You can buy both at the Maverick in Mountain view. Good luck and let us know how you do. WH2
[signature]