Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper Fishing .... What's All The Fuss?
I have yet to fish for them. Can someone please explain to me why the are "so exciting"? White bass are great fun do wipers fight like them?
[signature]
Wipers get substantially larger than white bass. My experience has been that once a wiper gets over about 17 to 18" long they add substantial weight. Even the smaller wipers are hard fighters, but if you get one over 20" they fight harder (for their size) and longer than any other fish that I have caught. When I went fishing with Xman he landed a wiper that was about 4 3/4 pounds, and it was a challenge getting it in on 8 pound test line. The other thing about wipers is when one hits your drag will scream, and if your pole is in a pole holder it can be a challenge to get it out of the holder. Catch a few wipers and you will understand why we speak so highly about catching them.
[signature]
I've had the same question lately, UTBass.

How does one fish for wipers? Can it be done effectively from a tube?

Thanks, Senkonate

You know how the explosion a large mouth has on a popper?
Try getting that explosion two or three times on a cast, every other cast.
When your on a school take your best day of bass fishing,times it by 5 and the quantity of fish you hook is awsome.
[signature]
[cool]I lost 6 lures to them wipers last year,and the where connected to ten pound test with a polymer knot.

I have never caught a fish that hits and fights as hard as a wiper,when you hook a big boy hold on cause the drag is going to be singing my favorite toon.If you get the lucky you will get to see the fish,most of the big fish spit the lure well before you get to see it.

so the the big fuss?

the best fighting fish in utah is on the end of your line and your just trying to get him to the net!and yes bring a net or your going to lose alot of your lures cause they love expensive lures I think they collect them,LOL[cool]
[signature]
Hey HFT...

I dunno, my best day of bass fishing was 115 largemouths in 3.5 hours (2-6.5lbers)...and all of them were caught on chug bugs. So if I get on a school of wipers...you mean to tell me that I'm going to catch 575 wipers in 3.5 hours? WOW!! This wiper fishin' must be really sumthin'!!
[signature]
Hey Kid, I think what HTF means is that they fight five time harder that a largemouth and it will feel like you caught five times the fish. A great day wiper fishing would be fifty fish and few people I know have caught that many in one day. After catching five in a row of a decent size wiper your wrist will be sore because of the fight. For you guys that haven't caught a wiper you will be surprised at how good they fight, they are one fighting fish. WH2
[signature]
I would say they are comparable to smaller muskies. Lots of fun [Smile][Smile]
[signature]
The fun of a wiper is the explosive speed they have on hook set. The ability to run for longer periods than lm bass or smallmouth and trout, and the power versus weight ratio. A 5lb wiper will pull as hard as a 10lb cat. People will say they catch large wipers on 6lb and 8lb test but if you go out with that rig plan on losing almost every lure you take. Your line can not stretch fast enough for the power and speed they have. I have tried with my drag set compeletley loose. I snapped 6lbs test on 5 different lures one day just on the hook set. Moved to 8lb test same scenario, and same snap on hook set. I have even lost some on 10lb test spiderline mono not braided.

I had one day where i did catch about 40 or so 1.5lb wipers in a few hours. Since that doesnt sound like a big fish someone might think well big deal. Well anyone who knows and has caught a wiper knows a 1.5 lber will yank you like a 5 lber any species. My forearms were so tired i literally had to go home and call it quits i was tired of catching fish. Im in good shape so, better do some upper body training if you plan on spending a full day catching wipers, if they let you, on willard.
[signature]
Ha ha ha ha Clif, wipers are the most awesomest fighting freshwater fish known to man! Put it this way a 4 pound wiper will feel like a 7 or 8 pound fighter, then if you caught a 7 pound wiper, it would feel like you got a fighting 12 pounder!

They are a hybrid of stripers and white bass, but meaner and nasty! They will make a real bulletline for your lure, and your line will snap before you can say "gesundheit".

When fishing with 4 to 8 pound line, you gotta set your drag to allow it to take off, and then tighten your drag just a little after it "tires"... but beleive me, wipers doesn't tire at all!

I make my line supermono, and you won't snap em, but I get a big kick and a hoot when I feel and hear my drag screaming its butt off!! Wiper on!!!! If you lose a wiper and a lure, then you've just been wiped out! Ha ha!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Ahhhh man I love reading you guy's posts. Even though I think your posts have been slightly exaggerated, they do pretty much describe how I feel about wiper fishing at Willard. I had to laugh one evening when I took my 75 year old neighbor out for his first time wiper fishing. We were trolling half way between the island and the light pole. While bringing in his 3rd wiper he was complaining about how tired his arms were. On his 4th one, I noticed his arms and wrists shaking and so I reached over and took his pole from him before he lost it to the lake! It was then he said "This hurts way to damn much. Can we go home now?". [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]And as far as loosing lures to wipers, it just dawned on me that I seldom loose lures to any species other than wipers. Hence, my signature phrase "keepin the lures lost".[/size][/font]
[signature]
If the sound of a zinging drag and a doubled over, maxed out medium heavy rod gets you excited, big wipers are the fish for you. Unfortunatley as the interest in these fish grows, the size doesnt. Last couple years the size has been on the down swing. The big fat hump back, deep bellied monsters that would go six and seven pounds are harder and harder to come by. The fish are getting shorter due to increased harvest and skinnier due to poor shad years a couple years back. Hopefully we will see some increase in size and numbers as the shad come back up in numbers. But the only way them big fattys are gonna get big is if they get released.
[signature]