Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 02/12
Went to the old rock pile with Kickenbass and his family. Very nice day on the ice. Ice was in great shape with only a very little slush (1/4 inch) in spots not even an issue. You needed a long step at the edge to get off without getting wet due to shoreling melt but the ice is still 12+ inches thick.

We got into a lucky hole and got 9 fat and healthy cutts from 17 to about 25" plus one nice 21" sucker for bait between the two anglers. Anglers on all sides of us got very little action for whatever reason.
[signature]
Well done Nate.
[signature]
nice! it's good to see kicknbass get lucky once in a while Smile
[signature]
I am heading up there Friday early am. Where did you guys go on at? I want to take my wheeler out to tow my ice hut with. I will be going on at Gus Rich point area. Hope that we can get on with them.
[signature]
It seems in my mind that Kicknbass has caught a lot more fish than you this year Lavaman. Maybe you should take some of that advise more seriously.
[signature]
We went out on the beach just in front of the rock pile. Good luck to you.
[signature]
Nice report Nate any pictures of the 25 incher? How much do you think it weighed? How deep was the water you were fishing in? Thanks for any info.
[signature]
You da man!
[signature]
Pictures are coming soon. We guessed about 7 or 8 pounds. The water was 64'. I caught it on a white curly tail jig, tipped with meal worm. It was my boys spiderman pole with 6 lb. test. Took me about 10 to 12 minutes to get him tired before I reeled him in.
[signature]
I have to say I never actually saw the alleged 25 incher[Tongue]. It was very convenient that he waited til I went to deeper water looking for macs before pulling it out and then it didn't have a fin clip and had to be released so therefore until we see the undoctored photos I'll have to wait and see if it was really bigger then my verified 20" cutt. I will say this, that only one of my trout had "typical" proportions. These fish were very well fed and about as fat as any I've ever seen. Definately a good time on an utlralite rod and 4 lb test. I got all my fish on a paddlebug and a nightcrawler.
[signature]
Fishnate was bragging up his sucker all day. Some people are easily satisfied. You won't have to worry about doctored up pictures. I can barely run Solitare. Fishnate had gas all day in his fish finder, but if you ask me it wasn't the fish finder.
[signature]
Nate, I hope I can get into them this Saturday! Sounds like you two had a fun trip. Can't believe you caught that huge sucker.
I work with kicknbass and he mentioned the area you guys were at. My brother and I will give da Bear another shot in 4 days, and whoever else wants to join us. Gotta break in my new Humminbird!
[signature]
Lavaman; would like to join you this Sat. but it's my 30 year anniversary with the little lady. Maybe another day; But keep at it at the bear you'll get some of those slimmer's. GOOD LUCK.

If you know; Talk about it: If not; Shut up![shocked]
[signature]
Do you happen to know what time the gate opens (I assume you drove past the condos and paid a fee to park on their beach)?
[signature]
8 am
[signature]
The owners (managers) sure aren't anglers. It would almost kill me to have to wait to 8:00 AM to get on the ice. That is why when I fished it with TD and TB we drove down the road further and hiked back to the rockpile.
[signature]
I don't know if it's legal, ethical, moral or whatever but I (and alot of others) use a little access road to the west side of the condos. I drove in there and asked some folks at the check in place and they said they didn't know of any fees and that people were just driving down to the beach.

Now I can't be held responsible for anyone else but here's how I got there. The condos are gated, now at the west end of the gated part there is an entry point and you go past a place that says you have to stop and check in (there is no lift gate). You drive past that going north. Go about 100 yds and look to your left (west) and you should see a yellow house. Thats the access point to the beach that many have been using. I suppose they may shut it down with too much traffic so don't be surprised if that happens.

By the way my gas is much better now that I'm off the water. Actually the gas referred to was gas bubbles rising off the bottom of the lake and I'm not certain, but it seemed to affect the fishing a little when they started rising. When I got there no bubbles showed on the finder til hours later. Wierd.
[signature]
Here are the pics.
[signature]
Great pics Brent!!! I hope you can go with me on Saturday to show me how it's done.

D
[signature]
Awesome Fish!!!

I'm going to fish Fish Lake all weekend and want to target the macs there. I noticed that you were using a close to 6 inch tube jig. What side do most of you mac fanatics use to target the macs? What size tube jigs, colors and what do you prefer to tip your jigs with? Also any special techniques to target the macs?
[signature]