Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon Questions
I'm looking at a Colorado 9' pontoon, and was wondering the pros and cons compared to the 7'. I fish small and large lakes. (Midland, Strawberry, Flaming Gorge) I think last year was the last time in the tube, as my age increases my bladder decreases. Any thoughts would be great.
[signature]
[blue][size 3]Not familiar with the Colorado, but I will say I personally would go with the 9' over the 7'. You mentioned some BIG waters that can get pretty choppy.[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]One thing I will say when buying a Pontoon, get the best you can afford. Features to look for would be:[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]Urethane Bladders (less susceptable to temp change and altitude change) Plus Halky(s/p?) valves[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]Aluminum frame for the weight[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]Oars, plus are they in a comfortable spot.[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]How comfortable is the seat.[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]And be sure they have a real tough outer cover.[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]You also want to make sure there is plenty of room on the boat for accessories.[/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3][/size][/blue]
[blue][size 3]My suggestions are Bucks, Outcast, and Northfork (Scadden[/size][/blue])
[signature]
My uncle has the 9' colorado it handles the big water really nice. But the COn about it is that it is a heavier pontoon. The boat its self is very nice when i used it i liked it.
[signature]
If it's the TU Colorado River, people I know have said there is a lot of "places" for lack of a better word that catch you line. Check it out in person first. I'm not one to discourage anyone from getting what they want, but bottom line is get the best one you can afford. Don't cut corners. You'll be happier in the long run.
[signature]
Here are the specs. 348.00
The Colorado [size 3]by Trout Unlimited[/size]
[size 3]Sage Green / Black model 69660[/size]
9 foot river capable pontoon boat with padded seat

Please read description of features carefully. Items with this boat are options on others. You will really enjoy how this boat is so well designed and feature loaded.

Huge storage capacity; includes 20 pockets and 2 insulated drink holders
Weather proof motor mount included
Wire rear storage and battery platform
Rod holder can be mounted in 6 different positions
Integrated anchor system with fillable mesh bag, cord and pulley can be mounted from either side or back
Detachable foam fly patch

Comfort Features
Padded plastic seat
3 oar-lock positions and built in oar rests
Seat mount and foot rests adjust to any leg length

Safety Features
Unique dual-sided stripping apron with fish ruler allows entry and exit without un-clipping
Rides high for improved visibility
Combination fill / quick deflation valves
Dual compartment pontoon safety bladders
Inflation regulator prevents over filling
Tow / mooring rings
Non-slip foot rests

Construction Features
No tools needed for assembly
Brass oar locks
Heavy-duty pontoons with abrasion-resistant PVC bottoms and tough nylon tops
Powder coated steel tube frame
7 foot two-piece oars
Cold and heat resistant bladders

Specifications
9 foot pontoons
400 lb capacity
River rating : Class 1
Assembled weight 69 lbs.
Assembled size is 108 in. long x 56 in. wide x 30 in. high (to top of seat)

Warranty
2 year warranty
[signature]
[black][size 3]In Cabela's has the weight of the boat around 87lbs....interesting. Other than that, I will say, have you seen it in person and if so did it suit you.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Don't forget to get a PFD[cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
I haven't seen the boat, I was told that it was new in the box. The reason I was asking about this boat is, I have never fished from a pontoon and was wondering what to avoid. The only thing I have to compare it to is my tube, and I think I'm done with the diaper.
[signature]
[black][size 3]LMAO! diaper, heee,hee[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Anyway, it is a good price. The only negative thing I can give is I have seen them on the water and the extreme kick up on both ends always make it look like it is going flat. I don't know about those pockets toward the front either. I can see my line getting caught on them.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]There is a post on the Tubing site that has pictures of a young man using his.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Sorry, choice is yours.[Smile][/size][/black]
[signature]
I am currently on the colorado. I bought it because of the price. There are alot of goods and bads about it.
Pros-
-Its nine feet......which will stay afloat through rapids an large waves..
-The amount of storage around the boat...especialy the actual basket in the back...most are just flat.
-Floats high which makes it easier to cast.
-comes with your rod holder
-inexpensive
-has two bladders on each side. most fishcats at the same price have one on each i believe

Now here are the cons..
-Again sits high....now it becomes somewhat of a parachute! blows around a bit.
There are alot of spots to get line stuck around the boat...aka the oar rests.
-is heavy
-bright color is good or bad i guess....
-pockets are not waterproof so don't put expensive things in any of the pockets.
-The anchor system flat out sucks. If you buy it buy another anchor system for it.

But over all i have been happy with the boat. For the price i think it is a great boat. My father uses a 600 dollar fish cat an honestly they both float just fine. the differences in performance to me weren't much. Definitly see it in person before you buy it. One tip is to buy it at sams club i think i only spentaround 200 for it through their site. which at that price is well a steal. price might have changed i bought mine around two years ago though. I use the boat mainly for the green an a few times here an there on the lake.
hope this helps a little bit in your decision either way!
-
[signature]
[black][size 3]fishguidecody, I think that was perfect. Thanks for the reply. There you have the hands on answer.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Thanks eveyone for their input. I think I might look alittle longer before buying.
[signature]
If you have the $$cha-ching$$ for it, the Scadden Skykomish Sunrise is one of the nicest quality boats on the market. It costs a couple grand (2k) but if your looking for flat out fish-ability, it's worth every penny. I've been on mine for one season and have NOTHING negative to say about it. It's flat out SWEET! If you've got the brass to sit in the seat, this boat will handle the rapids. You should see the video these guys put out. NUTS of STEEL!!!
Check 'em out here.....

http://northforkoutdoors.com/2007website...age20.html

Sorry, I tried to figure out how to make that address a LINK but I suck with 'puters. I geuss you can copy and paste it into your address bar....

Maybe the Mod can help out with the link deal??
[signature]
You don't even need to spend the 2K. Cabela's has it for $999.99. Plus a ten year warranty. There is the Urethane Bladders or the welded bladders with the welded costing more. I personally like the bladders, just in case......[Wink]
Plus they have killer deals on these boats at the shows.
Also, this is just me, but I prefer the Cardiac Canyon, cause unless you have a trolling motor with a remote steering, I really can't see the standing platform on a one man boat. Most waters I fish you can not sight fish. The strange thing is the Sky is cheaper than the Cardiac.
[signature]
I'm not a fly-fisherman, I target bass and such but most important to me is where you set your pole when netting a fish. I have a Bucks Bags that is perfect and a Water Skeeter where the seat sits up high and there is a gap between the seat and toon. Don't be afraid to go to a store and ask to sit in one.
[signature]