Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
surviving a fall through the ice
Surviving a fall through the ice
[url "javascript:playVideo('1238708', 'Surviving%20a%20fall%20through%20the%20ice%20-%20story%20by%20Bob%20Wilson', 'v', 'News', '224200', 'News', '', '');"][Image: icon_video.gif][/url] [url "javascript:playVideo('1238708', 'Surviving%20a%20fall%20through%20the%20ice%20-%20story%20by%20Bob%20Wilson', 'v', 'News', '224200', 'News', '', '');"]Surviving a fall through the ice - story by Bob Wilson[/url] [Image: pxl_trans.gif] [Image: 6090247_BG1.jpg] [Image: pxl_trans.gif] [Image: pxl_trans.gif][#000000][size 2]
by News Channel 8's Bob Wilson
Posted Feb. 14, 2007
10:00 PM
(New Britain-WTNH) _ This winter we've seen and heard the stories of people falling through the ice. It can happen in a split second, but there are some things you can do to save yourself.
To show you how to survive an ice fall we asked the Poquonock Fire Department to show us how to survive an ice fall.
The cold water rescue team is made of ten members. Two firefighters are dressed in suits. They are the ones who go out on the ice and save the victims.
"Chief, any final advice before I start walking on the thin ice?"
"When you go through the ice you want to keep as much of your body out of the water as possible," said Chief Bob Hawkins. "You want to spread your arms out as you go through. The biggest danger you face is going under the ice. The current can take you away. We are not going to be able to find you once you are under."
Once in, the water is so cold it's like I've had the wind knocked out of me. It takes a couple of seconds to catch my breath, but the most important thing is that my head never went underneath the water.
The first tip worked well. I kept my hands out as I fell through the ice. You can see how my hands and arms stop my body from going completely under. This is important because if your head goes under you may be trapped underneath the ice.
"Okay how do you get out?"
"Bob, try and keep as much of your body out of the water as possible," Deputy Chief Gary Christensen said. "Keep your arms out on top of the ice... Try and lift yourself up."
Within three minutes my body begins to feel sluggish. My hands and feet are going numb and my legs are slow to respond.
"The water is going to try and take the heat away from your bady, so as much of your body you can keep out the better you are going to be," Christensen said.
"Don't flail around too much. Try and stay still and conserve your enegery."
At this point I have been in the water six minutes and can barely feel my legs from the knees down.
"That's as far up as I can get."
I have been in the water for more than 8 minutes and and the simplest of movements are becomming difficult.
"Come get me! I need help. Come get me." [/size][/#000000] [Image: pxl_trans.gif]
[signature]
thanks Tom, this kind of story cant be told enough.

I have seen the guy next to me go under and I have under my self.

staying calm and remembering what reports like this say is about the best hope any one can have of surviving a situation like this....
[signature]